Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

The Power of Forgiveness

Dec 9th 2012 new

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a liberating experience that I've had, which celebrates the season of advent. I was engaged to be married to a woman who I knew for three years. This past January, she literally walked out on me one night, giving back the ring. She wouldn't tell me why she was ending it, and both families (hers and mine) suspected that she cheated on me. I had no evidence toward this, so I dismissed it as speculation. I did however tell her bluntly that I didn't want to see or talk to her again.

Well despite all this, it had come up in prayer that I shouldn't nurse this grudge any longer. It finally came to a point in this season of Advent that the desire to forgive became stronger than the desire to hold a grudge. So I wrote her a letter to this effect theheart telling her I forgave her. Already, I feel a great weight is lifted...

Is there anyone in your life (or outside you life) that you need to forgive. This is just my meditation for Advent as we await the coming of our Lord.

Dec 9th 2012 new

I need to pray on this one a little bit more. I want to know I'm at a sufficient level, to be like the Pope, someone shoots me - and I can see them as an individual separate from me, that my hurt is irrelevant. It seems a little difficult, but I think the problem starts with me somewhat "idolizing" the person. How do we love people without putting them on too high a pedestal?

I appreciate your story David. I'm close.

Dec 9th 2012 new

Bless you, David :-)

Sharing my blog below, for the Glory of God.

------ ------

BLOG 2-
SANTA IS SO FORGIVING

Christmas Season 2010-

I was reminiscing the past 5 months of how my life has made a 180-degree turn.

How did it come to this? Though I had accepted that my marriage was over, there was still a minute hope for my husband to return.

It would have been great to see him this Christmas. I was thinking perhaps he would come back to his senses and come back to me and my son, Gabe ... and there would be a happy ending. Gabe would have deserved a happy ending.

But it was not happening. No calls. No messages.
My emotions were on a roller coaster ride.
Christmas was coming soon.
I discerned that God wanted a gift for His Birthday - to forgive my husband for the pains he caused forgive even though he had not asked forgiveness.

With an obedient heart I said "yes" right away. I read somewhere that forgiving frees the heart. However, I prayed to God to teach me how to forgive sincerely. I still felt pain and I knew that although I decided to forgive, it was not genuine yet.

I kept myself busy and remained thankful as days went by. I was trying hard to fill what Gabe lost. I asked the Lord Jesus constantly to guide me through to be a good mom - and dad - to Gabe.

24 December 2010.
Christmas Eve. No husband. No father for Gabe. No calls. But it's Jesus' birthday and it was a very special night. Christmas season always brings an uplifting spirit in the air despite the struggles a person goes through. The season made me remain grateful.

Our friends with their kids came by to visit. There was a twinge of pain seeing the couples, as I still wished my husband was around. I felt left out to have no one beside me. I brushed the thought away and focused on Gabe. He was happy to have seen some of his friends. Thank God Christmas Eve went well and Gabe did not seem to have missed his father.

25 December 2010, the morning after.
Gabe went straight to the Christmas Tree as soon as he woke up. He happily thanked me for his Christmas gift and and he seemed to be at peace.

I reminded him to open Santa's gift.

That's when he took a closer look at the tree again and saw Santa's gift. He took the box and stared at it with silence.

What was he thinking? He looked surprised, but in a different kind of way.

"Mom, Santa is so forgiving," he said. "I did not expect that Santa would give me a Christmas gift because I was not good the past year. But here it is. He still gave me a gift even though I did not deserve it. Santa's great, Mom!"

I was speechless.

I felt Gods Loving Presence that very moment.

He whispered to my heart, "I have given you My One and Only Son as My Most Precious Gift to save you. Because I love you very very much. Forgive, just as I have forgiven you."

It turned out to be the best Christmas ever.

----

May all of us receive His Grace to receive Him this Christmas.

God is just awesome :-)

Dec 9th 2012 new

Praying Praying rosary rosary

Hugs Andrea, you're in my prayers

Dec 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: Bless you, David :-) Sharing my blog below, for the Glory of God. ------ ------ <...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

Bless you, David :-)

Sharing my blog below, for the Glory of God.

------ ------

BLOG 2-
SANTA IS SO FORGIVING

Christmas Season 2010-

I was reminiscing the past 5 months of how my life has made a 180-degree turn.

How did it come to this? Though I had accepted that my marriage was over, there was still a minute hope for my husband to return.

It would have been great to see him this Christmas. I was thinking perhaps he would come back to his senses and come back to me and my son, Gabe ... and there would be a happy ending. Gabe would have deserved a happy ending.

But it was not happening. No calls. No messages.
My emotions were on a roller coaster ride.
Christmas was coming soon.
I discerned that God wanted a gift for His Birthday - to forgive my husband for the pains he caused forgive even though he had not asked forgiveness.

With an obedient heart I said "yes" right away. I read somewhere that forgiving frees the heart. However, I prayed to God to teach me how to forgive sincerely. I still felt pain and I knew that although I decided to forgive, it was not genuine yet.

I kept myself busy and remained thankful as days went by. I was trying hard to fill what Gabe lost. I asked the Lord Jesus constantly to guide me through to be a good mom - and dad - to Gabe.

24 December 2010.
Christmas Eve. No husband. No father for Gabe. No calls. But it's Jesus' birthday and it was a very special night. Christmas season always brings an uplifting spirit in the air despite the struggles a person goes through. The season made me remain grateful.

Our friends with their kids came by to visit. There was a twinge of pain seeing the couples, as I still wished my husband was around. I felt left out to have no one beside me. I brushed the thought away and focused on Gabe. He was happy to have seen some of his friends. Thank God Christmas Eve went well and Gabe did not seem to have missed his father.

25 December 2010, the morning after.
Gabe went straight to the Christmas Tree as soon as he woke up. He happily thanked me for his Christmas gift and and he seemed to be at peace.

I reminded him to open Santa's gift.

That's when he took a closer look at the tree again and saw Santa's gift. He took the box and stared at it with silence.

What was he thinking? He looked surprised, but in a different kind of way.

"Mom, Santa is so forgiving," he said. "I did not expect that Santa would give me a Christmas gift because I was not good the past year. But here it is. He still gave me a gift even though I did not deserve it. Santa's great, Mom!"

I was speechless.

I felt Gods Loving Presence that very moment.

He whispered to my heart, "I have given you My One and Only Son as My Most Precious Gift to save you. Because I love you very very much. Forgive, just as I have forgiven you."

It turned out to be the best Christmas ever.

----

May all of us receive His Grace to receive Him this Christmas.

God is just awesome :-)

--hide--

What a wonderful story, Kat. Thank you. Sometimes, the best gift we can give others is our forgiveness--which then becomes a gift for ourselves.

Dec 9th 2012 new

David, so happy for you! It takes great courage to forgive. What graces you've been blessed with!

Dec 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I need to pray on this one a little bit more. I want to know I'm at a sufficient level, to b...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

I need to pray on this one a little bit more. I want to know I'm at a sufficient level, to be like the Pope, someone shoots me - and I can see them as an individual separate from me, that my hurt is irrelevant. It seems a little difficult, but I think the problem starts with me somewhat "idolizing" the person. How do we love people without putting them on too high a pedestal?

I appreciate your story David. I'm close.

--hide--

Maybe this will help, Andrea. The word "compassion" comes from the Latin words "com" and "passus," which means "to suffer with." It's important to identify their flaws before we can forgive them. The pope is a good model for forgiveness, but I believe that God wants us to put our selves (separate words) into how we forgive. To put the "Davidness" into how I forgive and the "Andreaness" in your acts of forgiveness.

Dec 9th 2012 new

Thanks Kat. You've experienced this first hand. And I think I need to pray as well, I'll be back another day. Your ending also made me realize - I am meeting with someone tomorrow - that I had failed in similar way, that I'm whining about.

Dec 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Melanie-894195 said: David, so happy for you! It takes great courage to forgive. What graces you've been blessed...
(Quote) Melanie-894195 said:

David, so happy for you! It takes great courage to forgive. What graces you've been blessed with!

--hide--

thank you, Melanie. The Lord works slowly, but surely on me...

Dec 9th 2012 new

Since Advent started, I began to wonder how I could best prepare myself for Jesus' birth. At mass last night, Fr talked about repentance of sins. I think I'm ok in that department so it didn't resonate within me. Your post, however, does. I need to pray more about this and determine where I have been withholding forgiveness.

Thank you for your story and gentle yet inspirational prompting.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11