Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

12/10/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Cat, Your points are well taken. I have indeed been asked to start a running gr...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

Cat,

Your points are well taken. I have indeed been asked to start a running group and/or a Bible study at my parish. The running group would be a great fit for my gifts, but I work rotating shifts. Trying to overcome my "clock" being thrown off by odd hours make it difficult to do a whole lot of extra... and participating in regularly-scheduled events is a non-starter. (How many Christ Renews His Parish and That Many Is You meetings have I missed lately...?) My work schedule changes often, so throws a wrench into things. In a number of years from now, I'll promote out of this, perhaps, but for the forseeable future rotating shifts are reality.

I missed the Ministries Fair because of work. Augh!!

So... the situation is a little complex than just simple motivation. The desire is there, but I just can't take on responsibility for an endeavor that requires my routine presence.

Michael

--hide--

Michael, I can see your heart is in it to find someone special in your life. Now I must ask the question, given what you have stated, do you have the TIME for a relationship? And if you don't, what would you do to change that if you did find someone?

Cat

12/10/2012 new
(Quote) Michael-780154 said: <pout> I'm not seeing much support for singles at my church, and suspect this is a common problem ...

<pout> I'm not seeing much support for singles at my church, and suspect this is a common problem within the Church here in the southeast. Sitting through mass today broke my heart, though I know the eternal reward and "bigger picture" make it worthwhile, attendance simply reinforces that the good ones are long gone and I'm on my way out of the picture at nearly 40.

Signed,

Frustrated

--hide--

Michael, the solution seems simple to me. Get off your rear and do something about it! Organize a place to meet and put the info in bulletins. All the whining makes you sound like an Obama supporter! "DO THIS FOR ME...... rolling eyes
12/10/2012 new
Hey Michael, I recognize this. I had a lot of that feeling in my past. Every time I'd approach an age milestone things would seem worse. Hang in there. There's a lot of tough love in folks' comments above, and I think they are giving you wise advice. I don't think it's a Church problem so much as a society problem. The Church would love to have the pews packed with youth. The world is working against it right now. Don't get too down about it; that won't change things or make you happy. Believe me, I speak from experience. My advice: go to Our Lady, Our Blessed Mother. An awesome change could be around the corner for you. God bless. Peace. John
12/10/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Cat, Your points are well taken. I have indeed been asked to start a running gr...

Cat,

Your points are well taken. I have indeed been asked to start a running group and/or a Bible study at my parish. The running group would be a great fit for my gifts, but I work rotating shifts. Trying to overcome my "clock" being thrown off by odd hours make it difficult to do a whole lot of extra... and participating in regularly-scheduled events is a non-starter. (How many Christ Renews His Parish and That Many Is You meetings have I missed lately...?) My work schedule changes often, so throws a wrench into things. In a number of years from now, I'll promote out of this, perhaps, but for the forseeable future rotating shifts are reality.

I missed the Ministries Fair because of work. Augh!!

So... the situation is a little complex than just simple motivation. The desire is there, but I just can't take on responsibility for an endeavor that requires my routine presence.

Michael

--hide--

Is there any way you could get the help of two other people for when your shift makes it impossible to lead the running group? Perhaps if you opened it to two other persons who would join and form it with you- you would be able to go through with the group and handle this. People are flexible if they know up front what your limits are!! I think it would be a great group to start!!! hyper

12/10/2012 new

Peace to be with Michael. I like to add my words; already noticed insight by others here.

First, I am single too; used to work shift by not anymore, but it was temporary.

Second, I am not yet out of range of those in their 20s but the women get better with age.

3rd-However, look at these women giving feedback who are older than us. We got years to prepare for women like that, no really!

4th-I am HAPPY the Church does not cater to singles. I like to do what others can't do or won't do because of other obligations.

Being single means every little nuance of an encounter with someone has much gravity on the future. Unless the church directly sends women to me, I want to keep the way the Church treats singles just the way it does. Yes, once married I will spend much treasure in the Church. Until then, I am out in alleys, ghettos, and with the lonely where cheer is far away. I can help in anything when single.

5-My brother-in-law started singles group at his military base and met my sister there.

Asking for help is the best first step.

God bless, William

12/10/2012 new

I've been learning lately that being single is not a sentence...its easy to see happily married couples with their cute kids and busy lives and crave that but at the same time family is a huge sacrifice and really makes "dying to yourself" to a whole new level. I'm sure married would look at us as singles and crave our freedom.

And while I understand the overpowering feeling of feeling alone at church the fact is we are engaged in the intimate act of partaking in the body and blood of our Lord so use the loneliness to point you to the need for Christ...not that I'm on any platform I sometimes put my focus besides me rather than above.

12/10/2012 new

William,

Kindly explain what "women like that" means, just hoping for clarification, thanks. You are young , you haven't yet experienced all the good and bad life has to offer. Do not assume that we older women no longer have the desire to be loved just as your age does.

If you are still single 20 years from now, and (if you desire marriage I hope you will find that ) you may find that your enthusiasm for helping and being single is tested, with aging you may experience it can bring job loss, health issues, elder care issues ........not so easy to just get out and help to keep your mind off it.

I have been volunteering with Catholic agencies and the church for longer than you have been alive. I have a terminal illness , lost my job, family all deceased, very difficult to find someone who wants to cope with that........which is why all I do is trust in Him.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but at your age life (not for everyone of course) is only beginning........Peace and many Blessings to you.

12/10/2012 new

I would tend to agree with you, Michael. I have felt that way for a long time, and I am a cradle Catholic. I would not change my religion for any reason, but it sure does seem to me that many parishes greatly overlook attending to the needs of the 25-50 age group.

12/10/2012 new

(Quote) Debbie-584463 said: William, Kindly explain what "women like that" means, just hoping for clarific...
(Quote) Debbie-584463 said:

William,

Kindly explain what "women like that" means, just hoping for clarification, thanks.

--hide--

It was a compliment. :) I gotten to know a divorced woman at a country bar, she and her friends were in their 50s and older. I just thinking that I would like to date her if I was in my 50s. I even helped her avoid a man she was dating...I asked her to dance in front of him, and he showed his true colors. I need to stop coming to these forums.

12/10/2012 new
I know Im supposed to give you words of encouragement and support but the only thing I could thought of when I read your post was "Jeez, that's exactly what I was thinking last night after the service". Thus, it's not much and I doubt it helps but I can only tell you right now that, well, you are not alone, and that someone in DR truly, deeply, feels and shares your pain.
Posts 21 - 30 of 56