Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Dec 13th 2012 new
(Quote) Kat-881112 said: Hi Bros and Siss, My boy is almost 11, and since his first day at school I have b...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

Hi Bros and Siss,

My boy is almost 11, and since his first day at school I have been waking him up in the morning to get ready for school.. and everytime, it's a struggle to get him out from bed :-)

I told him before he went to sleep to put his alarm on and if he won't get up, I will not wake him up...

what do you think?

blessings everyone :-)

K

--hide--

You will find that a bucket of cold water will work wonders! laughing
Dec 13th 2012 new

too bad you don't live on a ranch or dairy... you could use a cattle prod shocked On a more serious note, making him responsible and suffer the consequences is probably the best medicine and send him to bed earlier without his games etc.

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: ... My boy is almost 11, and since his first day at school I have been waking him up in the morning...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

... My boy is almost 11, and since his first day at school I have been waking him up in the morning to get ready for school.. and everytime, it's a struggle to get him out from bed :-)

I told him before he went to sleep to put his alarm on and if he won't get up, I will not wake him up... ...

--hide--

If I were almost 11, I'd happily go for that deal, probably sleeping until at least noon. smile

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Sergio-566645 said: You will find that a bucket of cold water will work wonders!
(Quote) Sergio-566645 said:

You will find that a bucket of cold water will work wonders!
--hide--

So the way it works is she dumps the water on herself,

and that cools the frustration of trying to get

the kid to get up ? smile

Dec 14th 2012 new

I like getting my kids to wake naturally by getting them to bed early enough -- and making them responsible for getting themselves up and on the bus on time each morning. I don't let them have an alarm clock until at least 4th grade and then only to let them not worry that they might sleep in and not get up! Only my oldest child had to walk the mile to school a few times in 6th or 7th grade before he got better about getting up. (I walked that almost same mile myself to school as a child so I'm not cruel or allowing him to be in danger -- it's a good safe walk)

My Susy needs to have the alarm clock across the room so she has to physically leave her bed in order to not just turn it off and roll over and fall back to sleep.

Ido give my kids over age 11yo 3 emergency rides to school each year if for some reason they miss, but they know they only have 3 and will chose to walk if they miss the bus on a nice day so they have a ride left if they miss on a bad weather day!

A trick I've heard is to put a thermos of grapefruit or orange juice next to the alarm and have them drink that as soon as the alarm rings and hit the snooze button and then let them lie down until thealarm goes off again. Then they will feel energetic enough to get up from the sugar rush!

Dec 14th 2012 new

I was serious about the water, why not? I'm sure it would get him up, and prevent this rather serious problem of him ignoring his mother.
Other suggestions? Well, grab his leg and drag him out of bed. Um, OR...you could just let HIM be the parent, as apparently has been the case. No offense at all intended, just my two cents. Any time you permit your child to ignore your request, you are asking for trouble. Whatever you do, it must be immediate and effective, or you are going to be dealing with laziness and disobediance in other areas.

Dec 14th 2012 new

Sleeping in......sounds so delicious to me. It is almost hard remember being able to sleep in.

Responsibility and the consequences of my actions motivated me at that time long ago when I was able to sleep in. Does such work with today's youth?

Dec 15th 2012 new

(Quote) David-903579 said: I was serious about the water, why not? I'm sure it would get him up, and prevent this rather...
(Quote) David-903579 said:

I was serious about the water, why not? I'm sure it would get him up, and prevent this rather serious problem of him ignoring his mother.
Other suggestions? Well, grab his leg and drag him out of bed. Um, OR...you could just let HIM be the parent, as apparently has been the case. No offense at all intended, just my two cents. Any time you permit your child to ignore your request, you are asking for trouble. Whatever you do, it must be immediate and effective, or you are going to be dealing with laziness and disobediance in other areas.

--hide--
This sounds like a generational thing. My parents have talked about things like this and what to be done with unruley kids. Use should tred lightly when you refer to someones parenting approach, regarding your statement "Um, OR...you could just let HIM be the parent, as apparently has been the case"
Besides that, throwing water on a preteen is not something I would recommend, it is very confrontational and can escalate a situation. Every child is different and when you do things like that it is demoralizing to the child. Anyone who is a parent knows young teens are going to test the borders, but they are looking to the parent to see how they handle things. Yes, there should be consequences, taking away privliges and access to electronics as so on. But for goodness sakes dont start a war.

Dec 15th 2012 new

I have an 11 y.o. too..I still wake him up and my 8 y.o. early in the morning.The question is if he does not wake up on his own, would it mess up your day too ? If not it's a good way of starting responsibility. Go for it.biggrin

Dec 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: This sounds like a generational thing. My parents have talked about things like this and what t...
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

This sounds like a generational thing. My parents have talked about things like this and what to be done with unruley kids. Use should tred lightly when you refer to someones parenting approach, regarding your statement "Um, OR...you could just let HIM be the parent, as apparently has been the case"
Besides that, throwing water on a preteen is not something I would recommend, it is very confrontational and can escalate a situation. Every child is different and when you do things like that it is demoralizing to the child. Anyone who is a parent knows young teens are going to test the borders, but they are looking to the parent to see how they handle things. Yes, there should be consequences, taking away privliges and access to electronics as so on. But for goodness sakes dont start a war.

--hide--
I don't think a glass of water (many have agreed) would do anything more than get the boys attention, wake him up, and help him to see that he needs to listen and his mother and her simple request of 'time to get up'. Perhaps you would care to address the damage a parent does to a child when they permit the child to do as they please, rather then as the parent pleases. It's far worse than a cup of water to the face. Test the borders? She said this was a problem since the beginning of the school year. I'm sure it will continue to be a problem, as long as the boy knows he doesn't have to listen to his mother. What is demoralizing to the child is sleeping as late as he pleases.

Posts 21 - 30 of 34