Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: There's much more to Michigan than the Detroit metro area! West Michigan (in the L...
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

There's much more to Michigan than the Detroit metro area! West Michigan (in the Lower Peninsula), especially the Grand Rapids metro area, is very conservative.

--hide--

Margaret, I am glad that you told us that! I really thought that many in Michigan were liberal.

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Michigan is seeing large protests over the "Right to Work" changes in their state.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Michigan is seeing large protests over the "Right to Work" changes in their state.

Many states already have "Right to Work," allowing those not belonging to
unions the opportunity to make money.

Unions are very strong entities and some have communist affliations. As in
the case of unions in the public sector, they can have a huge impact, especially
if they decide to strike, which can be against the law.

I know opinions are divided on this issue. What are your thoughts?

--hide--

I have no problems with them either. People should have the right to associate with a union or not, and not have that be a condition of employment.

It might also push the unions to really work to be organizations that provide benefit to the employer in important ways. For example, in training.

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I have no problems with them either. People should have the right to associate with a u...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

I have no problems with them either. People should have the right to associate with a union or not, and not have that be a condition of employment.

It might also push the unions to really work to be organizations that provide benefit to the employer in important ways. For example, in training.

--hide--

I live in a right-to-work state and we have fairly low unemployment. I thinks that Unions were necessary at one time in US History, but I think they have become too political and sometimes their demands leave people unemployed. I don't believe people should be required to join them. And I certainly don't think state employees should be unionized. I work for the state and don't want a union forcing taxpayers to pay more than necessary.

12/12/2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: There's much more to Michigan than the Detroit metro area! West Michigan (in the L...

There's much more to Michigan than the Detroit metro area! West Michigan (in the Lower Peninsula), especially the Grand Rapids metro area, is very conservative.

--hide--
My experience is that Michigan is basically a conservative state, except for Detroit, and the two big Universities (Michigan State and U of M). Outside of Detroit, Lansing, and Ann Arbor, the life long Michiganders are an independant lot who believe they are responsible for taking care of each other within their community. Independant almost to a fault. The outsiders have been trying for years to take over this beautiful and self sufficient state.

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I have no problems with them either. People should have the right to associate with a u...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

--hide--

Exactly.

If no one was forced to join a union and pay dues, maybe the union would be forced to actually provide some benefits to employees.

12/13/2012 new
Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's the un-American part of forced unionism. We believe in freedom of association, or at least I thought we did.
12/13/2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-924652 said: My experience is that Michigan is basically a conservative state, except for Detroit, and the two...
(Quote) Nancy-924652 said:

My experience is that Michigan is basically a conservative state, except for Detroit, and the two big Universities (Michigan State and U of M). Outside of Detroit, Lansing, and Ann Arbor, the life long Michiganders are an independant lot who believe they are responsible for taking care of each other within their community. Independant almost to a fault. The outsiders have been trying for years to take over this beautiful and self sufficient state.

--hide--
Not sure how you can say that when it has a 4 to 1 ratio of liberals to conservatives and congress is always dominated by the liberal dems.

However, I was pleasantly suprised at this ruling in this state and do believe as is true with every state there are areas in MI that are hanging in there for conservative values.

12/13/2012 new

--hide--
Well, that is good to hear. I figured there were areas that still hang in there for conservative values as is true with every state.

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues<...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's the un-American part of forced unionism. We believe in freedom of association, or at least I thought we did.
--hide--

This in incorrect. A right to work state does not require employees to pay union dues unless that individual chooses to become part of the union.

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's the un-American part of forced unionism. We believe in freedom of association, or at least I thought we did.
--hide--

John: Are you sure about the fact that Right-to-work laws require even those not in the union to pay dues? If they paid dues,
then they would be in the union, one would think.

Are you in a union and that is how you know it?

Boy, if anything doesn't make sense, it is that.

Posts 21 - 30 of 45