Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: John: Are you sure about the fact that Right-to-work laws require even those not in th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

John: Are you sure about the fact that Right-to-work laws require even those not in the union to pay dues? If they paid dues,
then they would be in the union, one would think.

Are you in a union and that is how you know it?

Boy, if anything doesn't make sense, it is that.

--hide--

No, the Right-to-Work laws prevent the the opposite from happening - union dues withheld from the paychecks of non-union employees of a union company.

That's what the fight in Michigan is all about. The unions don't want this power taken away from them, as has happened with the signing of the new law.

theheart

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: John: Are you sure about the fact that Right-to-work laws require even those not in th...

John: Are you sure about the fact that Right-to-work laws require even those not in the union to pay dues? If they paid dues,

--hide--
I am a member of the UAW and they are mandated to take union dues from your check once a month! At the facility i work at their is no option of not belonging to the union! smile scratchchin wave

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) George-80266 said: I am a member of the UAW and they are mandated to take union dues from your check once a month! A...
(Quote) George-80266 said:

I am a member of the UAW and they are mandated to take union dues from your check once a month! At the facility i work at their is no option of not belonging to the union!

--hide--

Exactly, George! That's the purpose behind the "Right to Work" laws. States without this law empower the unions to either deny the worker the right to work for a company in which they belong, or use the power of the government to still withhold union dues from non-union employees at companies which employ both union and non-union workers. "Right to Work" laws take that power away from the unions and restore the constitutionally-mandated right of freedom of association free from the threat of penalty to the worker.

theheart

12/13/2012 new

(Quote) George-80266 said: I am a member of the UAW and they are mandated to take union dues from your check once a month! A...

I am a member of the UAW and they are mandated to take union dues from your check once a month! At the facility i work at their is no option of not belonging to the union!

--hide--
That is so sad....how did we lose our freedom in this country. How can they force you to belong and pay dues....sounds communist?

12/13/2012 new

--hide--

Is Iowa a Right-to-Work state, George?

12/14/2012 new

(Quote) George-80266 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: John: Are you sure about the fact th...

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

--hide--

I know people who work closely with the UAW or are in the union.

I've heard stories, and I always come away with the same conclusion: No wonder why GM went bankrupt.

I have little sympathy for people who worked for GM (or any of the other American auto makers), and made a decent salary (6 figures by the time they retire) then complain that their pensions and healthcare get cut.

12/14/2012 new

And when a conservative is forced to join a union, his union dues are used to support pro-abortion candidates. Seems like a violation of his right to free speach, and makes him complicit in the murder of preborn children. It might be against his will, but his dollars are going to elect law makers who have the blood of 50 million American babies on thier hands. I'm sure many, if not the majority of union members are good guys, but thier leadership is dominated by radical leftists. And the don't give a darn about the industry. Look what the unions did to Detroit. Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Anyone who knows people in the plants in the big three can give you endless horror stories of abuse.

Toyota and Honda build cars in America. Wonderful cars. And the American workers are well paid and are happy to have a well paying job. Our unions have lost their way. And generally serve no purpose anymore.

12/14/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Michigan is seeing large protests over the "Right to Work" changes in their state.

Michigan is seeing large protests over the "Right to Work" changes in their state.

Many states already have "Right to Work," allowing those not belonging to
unions the opportunity to make money.

Unions are very strong entities and some have communist affliations. As in
the case of unions in the public sector, they can have a huge impact, especially
if they decide to strike, which can be against the law.

I know opinions are divided on this issue. What are your thoughts?

--hide--

The first company that I worked for when I got out of college had a union. There were several of his who did not join the union even though we were pressured to. I realized then that regardless of my negotiating skills, and I had none, the company would have to pay me a competitive wage, otherwise I would leave and take another job. The union guys would always talk about the benefits they negotiated for us, but they were the same benefits offered to people with similar jobs at other companies. It was difficult to see any benefit from joining the union.

One other thing that I have noticed about unions in general. It seems the primary hook for getting employees to join unions is to convince them that they cannot trust the management of the company. After all, if you trust the company management, why do you need a union to negotiate for you. As for me, if I did not trust the management of the company that I worked for, I would look to find a job at a company where I could trust the management.

12/15/2012 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: The first company that I worked for when I got out of college had a union. There were se...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

The first company that I worked for when I got out of college had a union. There were several of his who did not join the union even though we were pressured to. I realized then that regardless of my negotiating skills, and I had none, the company would have to pay me a competitive wage, otherwise I would leave and take another job. The union guys would always talk about the benefits they negotiated for us, but they were the same benefits offered to people with similar jobs at other companies. It was difficult to see any benefit from joining the union.

One other thing that I have noticed about unions in general. It seems the primary hook for getting employees to join unions is to convince them that they cannot trust the management of the company. After all, if you trust the company management, why do you need a union to negotiate for you. As for me, if I did not trust the management of the company that I worked for, I would look to find a job at a company where I could trust the management.

--hide--

Dan, what about the union pensions. I know employers are obliged to contribute to their union employees pensions. And
I am pretty sure the pensions that the union guys get is pretty substantial.

Also, were you in a Right to Work state for your first nonunion job after college?

12/15/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Right-to-work laws require even those who do not wish to belong to a union to pay union dues. That's the un-American part of forced unionism. We believe in freedom of association, or at least I thought we did.
--hide--

Sorry John. Right to work laws do not require those who do not wish to belong to pay dues. Some of those laws allow that to be negotiated between a union and a company.

There have been law suits concerning this. The results over the years have been a mixed bag.

Posts 31 - 40 of 45