Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Dan, what about the union pensions. I know employers are obliged to contribute to their union ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Dan, what about the union pensions. I know employers are obliged to contribute to their union employees pensions. And
I am pretty sure the pensions that the union guys get is pretty substantial.

Also, were you in a Right to Work state for your first nonunion job after college?

--hide--

While it might be true that the unions negotiate substantial pensions for their members, they often miss the point long term. If the negotiated pension costs are too high they could damage the companies finances beyond where they can be competitive or even drive the company to bankruptcy. In either case nobody wins...pensions are reduced or not paid at all, current workers lose their jobs, and owners profits are reduced or disappear completely.

Dec 16th 2012 new

George,
I thought Iowa was a Right to Work state It was when I lived there. I had a full time job and worked a second job where there was a union. It was made clear to me by some of the union people that "If I liked living I better join the union." I only stayed on the second job about 3 weeks. irked

Steve wave

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:I haven't been following this much except to see how violent the leftist liberals in the unions get....
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:I haven't been following this much except to see how violent the leftist liberals in the unions get....liberals are the meanest, violent, vulgar people around and always get a free pass...some of the people that attacked the tent had knives on them too.
--hide--

I am no liberal, but you are seeing what happens when a group has the power to think they can act(and actually often can act) in
this way without fear of consequences. Plenty of examples of non liberals(like me) who acted in this way in the past, if we stop
requiring everyone ot pay the dues we need to stop identifying those who are different- they WILL be bullied- and the employer cannot
benefit from paying some groups less(as I understand it the union dues are a major cost of business to employers, in addition to the
possibly higher wages)

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Steve-72317 said: George, I thought Iowa was a Right to Work state It was when I lived there. I had a full time ...
(Quote) Steve-72317 said:

George,
I thought Iowa was a Right to Work state It was when I lived there. I had a full time job and worked a second job where there was a union. It was made clear to me by some of the union people that "If I liked living I better join the union." I only stayed on the second job about 3 weeks.

Steve

--hide--

Good move, to leave the second job. Unions are very powerful.

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: While it might be true that the unions negotiate substantial pensions for their members,...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

While it might be true that the unions negotiate substantial pensions for their members, they often miss the point long term. If the negotiated pension costs are too high they could damage the companies finances beyond where they can be competitive or even drive the company to bankruptcy. In either case nobody wins...pensions are reduced or not paid at all, current workers lose their jobs, and owners profits are reduced or disappear completely.

--hide--

Wasn't the pension issue a big problem with the auto industry? I think after the Government stepped in, the
pensions were wiped out or changed. That is what I was told.

Posts 41 - 45 of 45