Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

01/04/2013 new

HI all -- I'm the aforementioned Ms. Bonacci. Sorry I'm a few weeks late but I just discovered this post. Jason, I think you might want to re-read the column you are referring to. (Here's a link: www.catholicmatch.com You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying. I never said that meeting singles online is "better" than parish groups. I would never say that, because I don't believe it. There is no "better" between the two -- they're just different. I was discussing the attitude that we should bring to meeting other singles -- BOTH online and in person.

I'm glad it sparked discussion, but just want to make sure you're discussing what I actually said :)

01/04/2013 new

(Quote) Jason-521094 said: Hi, I'm new here.. I'm 35 and never have been married or really dated either... And I'm a re...
(Quote) Jason-521094 said: Hi, I'm new here.. I'm 35 and never have been married or really dated either... And I'm a recent convert to the catholic faith.... But I'm still not sure what my vocation is yet.... But I heard Mary Beth bonacci say that it's hard and difficult to find/meet single catholics at any given local Parrish... And that online is the best way to go,to meet single catholics....m What do you all think about it? And she-Mary Beth bonacci also said that single you g adult groups in the local Parrish isn't that good of an idea... So any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions for me? Thanks....
--hide--

Jason, welcome to the site, and welcome to our wonderful Catholic faith! I am a new convert as well... late 2011.

Indeed, there seems to be a lack of single Catholic women 25-40 at every parish I have attended. It is almost as though Catholic ladies marry young and attend church with their families, or marry late and return to attending church after a long hiatus during their single years. What a shame for us Catholic men that we cannot find single Catholic ladies at the best place for them to meet us!!

The Catholic church needs to find a way to deal with this... my opinion. Many of us don't have time to run singles' groups (I work rotating shifts, or would definitely start such a group where I attend.) The Church is losing marriage-aged members to secular society.

I am attending a young adults group--not at my parish--tonight. It is one of the larger ones in my area. I disagree that such groups aren't good places to meet single Catholics. There are many married couples that attend, but I'd be more inclined to pursue a single Catholic girl who attends Young Adults.

This site has been a blessing in many ways, though the ladies I meet are almost all well outside of a reasonable distance for dating. That said, I'd consider a long distance relationship with some of them... assuming my annulment is granted, hopefully soon.

Finding a suitable mate seems entirely a chance occurrence these days, unfortunately. It is easy to give up, but one must keep his chin up.

Michael

01/04/2013 new

I actually missed this discussion somehow but I am so glad Mary Beth found it and chimed in. It is disspointing that some people would impugne the motivations of another person without knowing exactly what they said or asking about their motivation. Since Jason and I launched this website in 1999 neither of us have had the opinion that online dating sites are a superior way to meeting someone. As a matter of fact Jason met his wife through our parish while we began building this website. I on the other hand met my wife on CatholicMatch. In both cases the only thing that matters is that we we able to fullfill our vocation to married life regardless of how.

Although Mary Beth is not married she has done as much if not more for single Catholics than anyone I know. There is not a single writer or single staff person at CatholicMatch that believes online dating is a "better" way to meet a spouse. It is simply a way that has become available through technology. In fact I have stated in many interviews over the years that if our culture, local communities and parish life were stronger there would less of a need for online meetings. But we live in the world that we live. I am also not afriand that I realize many people who join CatholicMatch will not meet their future spouse here but even if they meet them some other way we hope their experience on this site will be beneficial either through meeting other single Catholics for dating, community & support or through growing in their faith and as a person via our resources and through interactions with other single Catholics. Our primary purpose is always to do our best to give singles the maximum opportunity to meet other singles for dating but we believe we are responsible to do more as well.

Hope that clears up any confusion that might exist on this topic. Again thanks you Mary Beth for clarifying your position as well.

01/06/2013 new
You're welcome, Brian. And thanks :)
01/06/2013 new
You're welcome, Brian. And thanks! :)
01/06/2013 new
Brian, I owe you a debt of gratitude for founding/creating this website. I've posted this elsewhere, but it seems appropriate in this thread. On Christmas Eve my sister had her third child in addition to three stepsons. This baby boy is her third child under three years old, and is yet another fruit of a Catholic Match marriage, which took place in 2009. In addition I've been blessed recently with a CM relationship, and as my subscription is ending this month, I'd like to say thank you. This thank you extends to your co-founder, the moderators, and all CM employees/associated folks like Mary Beth. For introverted folks like me, online is a Godsend. Catholic Match expands our circle, allows us to break the ice more easily, and gives us a way to find someone with compatible values. I've enjoyed the fora, and I think the prayer forum is one of the best things about CM. one disappointment - I've really wanted to break into the top 10 on the trivia, but sadly it hasn't happened. My favorite thing about the site has been the people. God bless! John
01/08/2013 new

For my very small part in that, John, you're welcome. I agree with you -- Brian has done an amazing thing for single Catholics -- actually many amazing things -- by creating this site!

01/08/2013 new

(Quote) Jason-521094 said: Hi, I'm new here.. I'm 35 and never have been married or really dated either... And I'm a re...
(Quote) Jason-521094 said: Hi, I'm new here.. I'm 35 and never have been married or really dated either... And I'm a recent convert to the catholic faith.... But I'm still not sure what my vocation is yet.... But I heard Mary Beth bonacci say that it's hard and difficult to find/meet single catholics at any given local Parrish... And that online is the best way to go,to meet single catholics....m What do you all think about it? And she-Mary Beth bonacci also said that single you g adult groups in the local Parrish isn't that good of an idea... So any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions for me? Thanks....
--hide--

Welcome to CM and to the Catholic faith!!

It's not an either/or thing. Be open to meeting that special someone anywhere - online, at your parish, in the grocery store, blind date, or where you least expected to meet her.

01/08/2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Brian, I owe you a debt of gratitude for founding/creating this website. I've posted this elsewhere, ...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Brian, I owe you a debt of gratitude for founding/creating this website. I've posted this elsewhere, but it seems appropriate in this thread. On Christmas Eve my sister had her third child in addition to three stepsons. This baby boy is her third child under three years old, and is yet another fruit of a Catholic Match marriage, which took place in 2009. In addition I've been blessed recently with a CM relationship, and as my subscription is ending this month, I'd like to say thank you. This thank you extends to your co-founder, the moderators, and all CM employees/associated folks like Mary Beth. For introverted folks like me, online is a Godsend. Catholic Match expands our circle, allows us to break the ice more easily, and gives us a way to find someone with compatible values. I've enjoyed the fora, and I think the prayer forum is one of the best things about CM. one disappointment - I've really wanted to break into the top 10 on the trivia, but sadly it hasn't happened. My favorite thing about the site has been the people. God bless! John
--hide--

John you are avery welcome and congrats to you and your sister!

Posts 11 - 19 of 19