Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 19th 2012 new

I was at the craft store the other day looking at yarn and how-to-knit kits, and it struck me how different things are from my grandmother’s
generation, my mother’s generation, and my generation.

While I agree that some extreme feminist positions have been detrimental to family values, not all of the changes in our lives are attributable to feminism, nor are they negative. Automatic appliances like washers, dryers and dishwashers have reduced the time required to do household chores, and globalization of trade has made goods a lot more accessible and cheaper. That has changed a woman’s role in the household.

For my grandmother’s generation, sewing, knitting and crocheting was the only cost-effective way to have new clothes, socks, sweaters, bedding or tablecloths. Today you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a sweater for $20 and a pair of jeans for another $20.

If you go the yarn section at Wal-Mart, you can buy a skein of yarn for $3-6 depending on the type of yarn, so to knit a sweater, depending on the size, would require 5-8 skeins of yarn. If you do the math, it’s not cheaper. The math is even worse for jeans. Denim fabric is expensive, and you likely will have to go to a fabric store for all that’s required – heavier thread, a heavy gauge sewing needle that won’t bend under the pressure of stitching the heavy fabric, a sewing pattern, a suitable zipper, some metal buttons or clasps for the waistband, and you are likely looking at close to $50 to try to sew those jeans. Also, zippers and button holes are tricky for the novice and require some practice, so the first crack at sewing a pair of jeans may not even result in a comfortable garment. And I haven’t even thrown in the cost of any adornments like rivets, sequins, embroidered appliqués, or stitched designs.

So, I bought a kit and I will likely buy one or two balls of yarn at about $5 each, and make a couple of scarves as a hobby. It is not necessarily cheaper than what can be store-bought but it’ll give me something to do while watching TV. I’m pretty sure the men aren’t doing what my grandfather did either, going into the woods to chop down a hardwood tree with an axe, cutting, chiseling and shaping the wood into furniture with hand tools, only after going out back to slaughter and pluck a couple of chickens that the wife can cook up for dinner.

I have enjoyed this thread. It has made me reflect on a lot of things, learn from others and gain some perspective.

Jan 1st 2013 new

My dream is to be a stay at home mom, homeschooling her children, and doing everything in my power to make my man feel loved and appreciated, and grow in faith together. I want to be the wife who has a martini waiting for hubby when he comes home from work, and help him relax, and hold his hand, and set up play dates with his friends when he needs space :)

Jan 1st 2013 new

Tracey, I am exactly the same! I have a problem at interviews when they ask "why is this your passion?" "What is your career goal?" because I've never had one, I've always wanted to be a SAHM!! Anything I do for a career is always going to be subpar, and I've accepted that I just won't be happy, truly, with any line of work, until I can achieve my dream.

Basically: I went to college (and got a degree in liberal arts) because I just wanted to learn and I needed a degree as a back up plan. I honestly thought I would be married with kids by now :<

Jan 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: Do I live in a strange world, or do y'all think this is ok. Here's the question(s) if you...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

Do I live in a strange world, or do y'all think this is ok. Here's the question(s) if you dare...

Do you think it is ok for a woman to be a stay at home mom, who is a great homemaker? How many of you ladies want this to be your job? Do you want to have kids right away?

My position, I desire to have a stay at home mom who takes care of the house and helps raise the kids to be the best Catholic awesome kids ever. I desire to have a well kempt household with all the fine womanly touches added to it, and an amazing wife/mother/homemaker, am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

--hide--

I was a stay at home mom and loved what I did. There are so many good, young, Catholic women here who would do an excellent job for you, Brian. It is more like a haystack full of these women rather than a needle in the haystack. You are in the proverbial candy store here. They are just waiting for your call.

- Elizabeth

Jan 1st 2013 new
Me too, Mary! Prayers!!!!
Posts 51 - 55 of 55