Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Teacher

Dec 11th 2012 new

In this crazy new world, do y'all ladies scoff at men who are teachers, and see them as not being able to support a family/home/wife? I might not mean scoff as so harshly, but maybe not consider them first choice? Just a question...discuss

Dec 11th 2012 new
I think teachers are amazing! My sister is an English teacher and I have so much respect for her. She deals with soooo many different personalities each and every day. Good ones, bad ones, difficult ones, etc, but she still loves to teach. I feel it takes a very patient, intelligent, caring person to take on the job as a teacher. Who cares what everyone thinks of teachers. There are the people, like me, who respect you all and are thankful for good people like you in the world teaching children/teens/adults! Keep up the great work!
Dec 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: In this crazy new world, do y'all ladies scoff at men who are teachers, and see them as not b...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

In this crazy new world, do y'all ladies scoff at men who are teachers, and see them as not being able to support a family/home/wife? I might not mean scoff as so harshly, but maybe not consider them first choice? Just a question...discuss

--hide--

As a teacher myself (and at a Catholic school at that!) I know teachers make enough to get by and to have a little fun. It requires financial discipline, but it is most certainly possible. Plus, LOTS of vacation time to spend with the family! I think a lot of women would agree that being less financially wealthy but having their husband at home is worth more than material riches with a husband gone all the time.

Dec 11th 2012 new

yea I guess I was looking at it more in the angle of provider and leader for a family, do women thing its not quite good enough to be the provider ?

Dec 11th 2012 new
I don't think it is a problem. Some women get caught up in what they think a man should be. I think a man should be a good person, love what he does and take care of his family. If this man happens to be a teacher, then that is fine by me. As long as he is happy and can provide for his family...cool. Some women are weird. LOL
Dec 12th 2012 new
I would absolutely date/marry a teacher without hesitating. I would actually consider it an advantage. As a teacher myself, I know the demands of teaching, but if I was dating/marrying a teacher, I know I am with someone who loves kids, works well with others, and has an outgoing personality.
Dec 12th 2012 new
ditto
Dec 12th 2012 new

Short answer - NO!!!

Long answer:

Teaching is a rewarding, wonderful profession; I do notice most of the male teachers I know tend to stick to 6th grade or above, but I know a few male elementary teachers. Many, many, college professors as well are male; I would actually say the majority of my college professors were male, in fact, although most of my elementary school teachers were female.

What it tells me is that here is a fellow who loves kids - and wants to have the holidays off to spend with any he has. One of the perks of teaching is the vacations! Even if you're teaching summer school for some reason, it's still much better time than most corporate jobs. Yes, the pay's not wonderful (any teacher will tell you that) but how is that different from any of the other incredibly valuable but (in my opinion) poorly paid professions such as military, firefighters, policemen, etcetera?

The question is, what lifestyle are you talking about when you say "support?" If you mean 2 cars, a boat, vacations in Jamaica or something - not happening on a teacher's salary! If you mean able to keep a modest home with a good sized vegetable garden and mom can stay home, quite possible on a teacher's salary in parts of the country. In others, middle class home with both parents working - quite possible, some families I know have two teachers, when the children are small mum substitutes from time to time and keeps licensure up, then when the last kid is off to school, so is mum; in these cases usually mum is elementary certified and works at the ISD the children go to.

Dec 12th 2012 new

I meant "NO!!!" to scoffing, just to be clear. Sorry, it's finals week and I am apparently the official proofreader for many students.

Dec 12th 2012 new

I'd definitely say that a man who can run a classroom and kep it under control would be a good leader for a family. I agree that the job of a family leader is difficult for a lot of men to balance with a job but the one of teacher does in fact have several pluses, like the vacations and such. Besides it's a field you can grow in and I personally don't judge men based on their career choice so I wouldn't rate it as a one or a two or however much down the line, as long as they're financially stable I'm okay with it.

Posts 1 - 10 of 49