Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Beautifully Stated Elizabeth.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Beautifully Stated Elizabeth.

--hide--

Thank you, Marian.

- Elizabeth

Dec 26th 2012 new

I agree with Eloise. My very thoughts. I am very proud to say I am independent and can take care of myself. I do have my own ATM card that I can use as I see fit.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: What she said. Very well said, Elizabeth!
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

What she said. Very well said, Elizabeth!

--hide--

Thank you, Celia.

- Elizabeth

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Steve-921452 said: Women need men - as an ATM
(Quote) Steve-921452 said: Women need men - as an ATM
--hide--

agreed.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Awww, Steve, I hope this is a joke... Or did the Grinch get you? :( I do just fine on my own financially....
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Awww, Steve, I hope this is a joke... Or did the Grinch get you? :( I do just fine on my own financially. I own a home, my car is paid off, and I never had any college loans, even from grad school. I don't have credit card debt, and I am very responsible financially. Do I need a man? I guess technically no. But I want one whom I can love and get to heaven, one who can lead our family and teach our children to grow in faith. He can keep the money... I'm fine in those aspects. I just want a good Catholic man, but that's not as easy as it sounds... :( so I keep praying!
--hide--

and here's the situation,.. I guess men, well most men, are a little old fashioned I think, and a woman buying her own house ( not living in an apartment mind you) is sort of threatening to the man, it feels like he's "competing" with her. I don't know, I think the guy wants to be the "alpha male" and wants to provide for her, but can he if she's already buying a house?? I mean a house! Again, not an apartment. I think it's the competition that he's going to face. It may be other types of "competition" he may have to face with her as well. If she wants to compete with EVERYTHING he does, have, do,.... I think he just would rather stay away. Whether this is a good thing for women or not, to be financially secure,I don't know. You do have to provide for yourself, but I just thought I'd give a little insight from a guys point of view. maybe all guys don't feel this way, maybe some like the competition, Personally, I don't think many do. Just my thoughts.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Patrick-235584 said: and here's the situation,.. I guess men, well most men, are a little old fashioned I think, an...
(Quote) Patrick-235584 said:

and here's the situation,.. I guess men, well most men, are a little old fashioned I think, and a woman buying her own house ( not living in an apartment mind you) is sort of threatening to the man, it feels like he's "competing" with her. I don't know, I think the guy wants to be the "alpha male" and wants to provide for her, but can he if she's already buying a house?? I mean a house! Again, not an apartment. I think it's the competition that he's going to face. It may be other types of "competition" he may have to face with her as well. If she wants to compete with EVERYTHING he does, have, do,.... I think he just would rather stay away. Whether this is a good thing for women or not, to be financially secure,I don't know. You do have to provide for yourself, but I just thought I'd give a little insight from a guys point of view. maybe all guys don't feel this way, maybe some like the competition, Personally, I don't think many do. Just my thoughts.

--hide--

laughing Wow, this is news to me. Women buy houses on their own, it seems, if they're still single around the 30ish range.  But, I guess it can be viewed as a threat, but what can I do about that? Sell my house and move into an apartment? lol I mean, really?

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said:     Wow, this is news to me. Women buy houses on their own, it s...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Wow, this is news to me. Women buy houses on their own, it seems, if they're still single around the 30ish range.  But, I guess it can be viewed as a threat, but what can I do about that? Sell my house and move into an apartment? lol I mean, really?

--hide--

all I'm saying Tara is that owning a house isn't a bad thing, but, at least to me, is a big step in someone's life, and seeing a single woman owning her own house tells the man "she already owns her own house, I can't afford that, I'm still paying off my car, she seems to be well off in areas that I'm not, How am I going to provide for someone's that's pretty much doing better than me" ... This is the threatening part for the guy. We can't provide, protect, a woman, when she want's to do all the providing/protecting herself. In other words, I guess, to be more like the man. This might ruffle some feathers, but, that's what I think is going on, and, unfortunatly, feminism has played a HUGE part in all of this.

Again, maybe owining you're own home, business,... vacation home in wherever, isn't a bad thing, but a threatening thing for men. Just my thoughts.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Patrick-235584 said: all I'm saying Tara is that owning a house isn't a bad thing, but, at least to me,...
(Quote) Patrick-235584 said:

all I'm saying Tara is that owning a house isn't a bad thing, but, at least to me, is a big step in someone's life, and seeing a single woman owning her own house tells the man "she already owns her own house, I can't afford that, I'm still paying off my car, she seems to be well off in areas that I'm not, How am I going to provide for someone's that's pretty much doing better than me" ... This is the threatening part for the guy. We can't provide, protect, a woman, when she want's to do all the providing/protecting herself. In other words, I guess, to be more like the man. This might ruffle some feathers, but, that's what I think is going on, and, unfortunatly, feminism has played a HUGE part in all of this.

Again, maybe owining you're own home, business,... vacation home in wherever, isn't a bad thing, but a threatening thing for men. Just my thoughts.

--hide--

I understand your thoughts; I hope I didn't come across as defensive. I quickly texted 4 guys friends... 3 from here, 1 of whom I discussed (the one I dated). Only 1 said that it could possibly be a dealbreaker for some. The others said it wouldn't matter. One (late 30s) said it's the opposite: He and the guys he knows want independent women.

I'm all confused now. lol boggled

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I understand your thoughts; I hope I didn't come across as defensive. I quic...

I understand your thoughts; I hope I didn't come across as defensive. I quickly texted 4 guys friends... 3 from here, 1 of whom I discussed (the one I dated). Only 1 said that it could possibly be a dealbreaker for some. The others said it wouldn't matter. One (late 30s) said it's the opposite: He and the guys he knows want independent women.

I'm all confused now. lol

--hide--

hmm,.. ok,... can I ask,. how old some of these guys are?

Dec 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I understand your thoughts; I hope I didn't come across as defensive. I qu...

I'm all confused now. lol

--hide--

I think if a guy owns a house he would probably prefer that the woman he is interested in also owns a house. I don't think it's a competition thing but rather that it may help rule out the possibility that one person or the other is only interested in financial security. While financial security is important, I don't think either person should want this to be the reason for marriage.
Posts 51 - 60 of 196