Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I think you are loosing this batttle. To me, a gun either shoots one bullet at a time,...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I think you are loosing this batttle. To me, a gun either shoots one bullet at a time, or it shoots a lot of them. The second one
is autmatic or an assault one as far as I am concerned. The difference is that the first one will kill less people in a given amount
of time. We don't quite have your knowledge on this subject.

--hide--

Interestingly enough, in a perverse kind of way one could claim that I'm winning and should just hush. If all the folks arguing that we need to "ban automatic weapons" were to actually succeed in getting their language adopted in a law, the current assault on the 2nd Amendment would come to a pathetic end; since automatic weapons are already extremely hard to get with a total ban wouldn't do much of anything and the semi-automatic weapons would be totally untouched! Sadly, somebody would probably correct the language in the proposed legislation.

You are quite right in that there is a vast disparity of knowledge about weapons and their real use. For this reason I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to point out that the notion that there is going to be a vast difference between the number of people killed in these kinds of attacks buy limiting magazine capacity, or banning certain types of guns is fantasy. Magazine capacity and cyclic or sustained firing rates matter a lot more when there are two sides shooting at each other than when there is one guy shooting fish in a barrel.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Interestingly enough, in a perverse kind of way one could claim that I'm winning and ...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Interestingly enough, in a perverse kind of way one could claim that I'm winning and should just hush. If all the folks arguing that we need to "ban automatic weapons" were to actually succeed in getting their language adopted in a law, the current assault on the 2nd Amendment would come to a pathetic end; since automatic weapons are already extremely hard to get with a total ban wouldn't do much of anything and the semi-automatic weapons would be totally untouched! Sadly, somebody would probably correct the language in the proposed legislation.

You are quite right in that there is a vast disparity of knowledge about weapons and their real use. For this reason I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to point out that the notion that there is going to be a vast difference between the number of people killed in these kinds of attacks buy limiting magazine capacity, or banning certain types of guns is fantasy. Magazine capacity and cyclic or sustained firing rates matter a lot more when there are two sides shooting at each other than when there is one guy shooting fish in a barrel.

--hide--

John, you are very qualified in your opinion and knowledge of weapons. You will have to have mercy on the rest of
us. You are a professional and many of us are not.

I think it is good, though, that you are trying to explain the differences in gun types and the proper terminology.

Maybe you should start a thread on that.

I will tell you something that I think about this whole subject. If they ban all sales of guns, or just some type of
guns, there are already hundreds of thousands of guns floating around in America. Guns will find their way into
the hands of those who want them. And the problem is not just about guns.

America is very naive and thinks every problem has a voter-classified solution. This shooting in Newtown,
Connecticut was not just because the guy had a gun, although that let to the mass murder.
The problem has so many layers:

The shooter had psychological problems; the shooter came from a broken family; the shooter's mother had
a bunch of weapons in her house; the school was easily penetrable; no one in the school had a weapon to
counter the shooters weapon; the shooter could have been on the wrong meds; video games could have
influenced the shooter; copy cat motives could have implanted the idea in the shooters head, and God
was probably left out of the equation in the shooter's life. It just goes on and on.

People are upset right now about guns, but there is so much more to be upset about. America can just not
control everything. These are serious societal problems and any one of them could trigger the event we
had last week.

Dec 22nd 2012 new
In my humble opinion,I believe the problems have always been there & with 24hr news coverage

it has increased the information that is always out there.I asked my mom(89 yrs young) if they

had problems when she was younger.She said that #1 they never had a newspaper(not enough

money) & they knew of crime in their area,but nowhere else.In Pa where we where from,she went to

school with people that ended up in the mafia & that was about it.The type of crime is

different now,but it always has been there.Remember the Valentine Massacre,Al Capone era?

I am sure innocent people were killed.I am sure Capone was not all there.Then there was the

man that killed some student nurses in Chicago years ago.It is a never ending problem .I pray

for all the problems.in the world.
Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Bobbie-557829 said: In my humble opinion,I believe the problems have always been there & with 24hr news coverage
(Quote) Bobbie-557829 said: In my humble opinion,I believe the problems have always been there & with 24hr news coverage

it has increased the information that is always out there.I asked my mom(89 yrs young) if they

had problems when she was younger.She said that #1 they never had a newspaper(not enough

money) & they knew of crime in their area,but nowhere else.In Pa where we where from,she went to

school with people that ended up in the mafia & that was about it.The type of crime is

different now,but it always has been there.Remember the Valentine Massacre,Al Capone era?

I am sure innocent people were killed.I am sure Capone was not all there.Then there was the

man that killed some student nurses in Chicago years ago.It is a never ending problem .I pray

for all the problems.in the world.
--hide--

Bobbie: With my limited years on earth, compared to your Mom, I think violence has definitely increased.
Between Muslim terrorists from 9/11 and their continued threat, and mass murders in public areas,
we are a lot less safe.

Problems HAVE always been there, but now there are so many more people in America and many more people
here who should not be here. We have over 300 million people and many of them
are living on top of each other in the inner cities. Even a gun going of accidentally, kills or injures,
while the victims thought they were safely in their own homes.

The number of gangs alone, and the types of gangs, from all different parts of the world, are represented
here on our own soil. People have made it to our shores in droves,while many years ago, these people
would never have even dreamed of coming here. Transportation is so much better today, and then there
are those who ignore Americas immigration laws. They disregard the terms of their Visas, or blatantly come here
illegally. These are all forms of lawlessness that chip away at the Government's control. But when
something goes wrong, right away, it is the Government that is petitioned to help by implementing more laws.
People who don't want to obey laws because the laws don't suit them, will not obey the new laws OR the old laws.

We are definitely living in lawless and troubled times.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Bobbie: With my limited years on earth, compared to your Mom, I think violence has def...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Bobbie: With my limited years on earth, compared to your Mom, I think violence has definitely increased.
Between Muslim terrorists from 9/11 and their continued threat, and mass murders in public areas,
we are a lot less safe.

Problems HAVE always been there, but now there are so many more people in America and many more people
here who should not be here. We have over 300 million people and many of them
are living on top of each other in the inner cities. Even a gun going of accidentally, kills or injures,
while the victims thought they were safely in their own homes.

The number of gangs alone, and the types of gangs, from all different parts of the world, are represented
here on our own soil. People have made it to our shores in droves,while many years ago, these people
would never have even dreamed of coming here. Transportation is so much better today, and then there
are those who ignore Americas immigration laws. They disregard the terms of their Visas, or blatantly come here
illegally. These are all forms of lawlessness that chip away at the Government's control. But when
something goes wrong, right away, it is the Government that is petitioned to help by implementing more laws.
People who don't want to obey laws because the laws don't suit them, will not obey the new laws OR the old laws.

We are definitely living in lawless and troubled times.

--hide--

Countries like Russia have about 15 guns per 100 residents and have a greater number of murders per 100,000 than the United States. Take the guns and you don't take away the crime; murderous madman will find other opportunities, as this story from Pravda on the same day as the Sandy Hook killing shows:

english.pravda.ru

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Countries like Russia have about 15 guns per 100 residents and have a greater number of...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Countries like Russia have about 15 guns per 100 residents and have a greater number of murders per 100,000 than the United States. Take the guns and you don't take away the crime; murderous madman will find other opportunities, as this story from Pravda on the same day as the Sandy Hook killing shows:

english.pravda.ru

--hide--

I was just trying to show that things are getting worse all the time, not the statistics of guns and crime. Besides, I think
guns cost much more, related to the average person's income, in a country like Russia, and Syria, than they do in America.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: For love of Pete, people! Between this one and the other thread would all y'all quit talking a...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

For love of Pete, people! Between this one and the other thread would all y'all quit talking about an imaginary need to fix access to automatic weapons?

You can't walk into a gun store and buy an automatic weapon. Automatic weapons were not used in any of the recent shootings.

SEMI-automatic weapons on the other hand...

--hide--

Now, on talk radio, they are starting to suggest the need to define exactly which weapons one is
referring.

I would say that 90 percent of the US population has no experience with weapons. So to speak
in more proper terms, shows how most of us don't use guns. And that is a good thing.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: So Jerry, my mom who is a Saint who had to raise all 18 of us is wrong I'm sorry, but I can&#...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

So Jerry, my mom who is a Saint who had to raise all 18 of us is wrong I'm sorry, but I can't imagine an innocent soul not seeing the light of Jesus Christ, not in a million years! Sorry, but I have been told by priests too and they go to Heaven!!! Are they wrong and unjust???

--hide--

I don't know. I'm not any of them, and I'm not God, and while we have great hope for any and all of the victims, we don't know.

Anyone who is baptized and is in a state of grace will see the Beatific Vision. That includes those that are baptized and die before reaching the age of reason.

All the judgements of God, however inscrutable they are in this life, are perfect testiments to His Justice and His Mercy. That, in this life, is all we can rightly say without the judgement of the Church.

Posts 131 - 138 of 138