Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Westboro Baptist Church is going to protest in Newtown, CT

My sister said: "Maybe now civilians will see why we have been fighting these lunatic hate-mongers who protest at military funerals saying that God killed them and that they are fags. Maybe this protest against completely innocent children, them saying God punished them, will wake up society and take down these crazies. I've had my battle with them. We won the battle, but seriously lost the war. They are still here."

They sang traditional hymns at her husband's funeral. The Patriot Guard ((www.patriotguard.org did an excellent job of shielding this group from us. However, WBC decided that no one can "shield" their voices.

Article about the Westboro Baptist Church protesting the funerals, etc in Newtown, CT: www.dailymail.co.uk

*** Moderator's Note ***

Helen uncovered some additional information about the petition and asked me to delete the topic. Instead, I am going to place the new information here so everyone can read it -- we need to know things like thisa re going on!

A friend sent me an email and told me something to the effect that you did. She said that the purpose of the petition is to set a legal precedent, and that whoever made this petition wrote it up to trick conservatives to sign it

She said, "Part of what that group does is TRACK people that are "anti-gay". They work WITH the White House. They understand that the biggest enemy of the Westboro Baptist Church are the church-going Catholics (that they happen to be tracking). It sounds like it is from the Southern Poverty Law Center, or someone very clever who is affiliated and/or at least sympathetic to them.

Here is the location of the petition, in case you want to check it out.  Please do NOT sign it!  petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/legally-recognize-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/DYf3pH2d

Dec 16th 2012 new

Thanks Helen

I signed it.

Dec 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: Thanks Helen I signed it.
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

Thanks Helen

I signed it.

--hide--

Thank you for signing!
Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Westboro Baptist Church is going to protest in Newtown, CT My sister said: "Maybe now civil...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Westboro Baptist Church is going to protest in Newtown, CT

My sister said: "Maybe now civilians will see why we have been fighting these lunatic hate-mongers who protest at military funerals saying that God killed them and that they are fags. Maybe this protest against completely innocent children, them saying God punished them, will wake up society and take down these crazies. I've had my battle with them. We won the battle, but seriously lost the war. They are still here."

They sang traditional hymns at her husband's funeral. The Patriot Guard ((www.patriotguard.org did an excellent job of shielding this group from us. However, WBC decided that no one can "shield" their voices.

Article about the Westboro Baptist Church protesting the funerals, etc in Newtown, CT: www.dailymail.co.uk

Please sign this petition to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.: petitions.whitehouse.gov
--hide--

I always wondered how the group gets funded and who really sends them out. How does a group of 20 people (at best) in a basement in some house get to be a nationwide nuisence and national boogymen without somebody funding them, probably with a political purpose in mind.

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I always wondered how the group gets funded and who really sends them out. How does a g...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

I always wondered how the group gets funded and who really sends them out. How does a group of 20 people (at best) in a basement in some house get to be a nationwide nuisence and national boogymen without somebody funding them, probably with a political purpose in mind.

--hide--

I just checked Wikipedia, and they have 40 people. I stand corrected.

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Westboro Baptist Church is going to protest in Newtown, CT My sister said: "Maybe now civil...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Westboro Baptist Church is going to protest in Newtown, CT

Please sign this petition to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.: petitions.whitehouse.gov
--hide--

This group gives Christians such a bad name by identifying as one of them. I don't get why they would say a mentally ill teenagers actions against all those innocent children is God's judgement, yet they don't protest at natural disasters....not that either is....neither is God's judgement...God did not punish those people. We have free will as human being to choose evil and we are in a natural law world. None of what happens to us is a result of God wanting to hurt us. Indeed, I believe he was as angry and sad at what happened as we are. These man made churches are sometimes scary. I am so thankful to be Catholic and so sad that some people can do the evil thngs they do and then say it is in His name.

Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Please sign this petition to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.: http...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

--hide--

I in no way support WBC or their tactics. That being said, this petition is an exceedingly bad idea, and I think most of those who have served in the military will tell you that. You know: free speech and all that? Today, they're the hate group. Tomorrow it will be those who oppose abortion or same-sex marriage.

Dec 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I in no way support WBC or their tactics. That being said, this petition is an exceedingly bad ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I in no way support WBC or their tactics. That being said, this petition is an exceedingly bad idea, and I think most of those who have served in the military will tell you that. You know: free speech and all that? Today, they're the hate group. Tomorrow it will be those who oppose abortion or same-sex marriage.

--hide--

A friend sent me an email and told me something to the effect that you did. She said that the purpose of the petition is to set a legal precedent, and that whoever made this petition wrote it up to trick conservatives to sign it

She said, "Part of what that group does is TRACK people that are "anti-gay". They work WITH the White House. They understand that the biggest enemy of the Westboro Baptist Church are the church-going Catholics (that they happen to be tracking). It sounds like it is from the Southern Poverty Law Center, or someone very clever who is affiliated and/or at least sympathetic to them.

Please delete this thread.
Dec 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I in no way support WBC or their tactics. That being said, this petition is an exceedingl...

--hide--

Has anyone thought that might well be the point of Westboro. That they are political theatre aimed at promulgating a war against the First Amendment?

These guys have a schedule on their website, with the logistics of a rock tour. Where does a church like this get the scratch?

They're as real as Pro-wrestling.

Dec 16th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I in no way support WBC or their tactics. That being said, this petition is an exceedingly bad ...

--hide--

Actually, Jerry, I don't believe that "most who have served in the military think that signing the petition is a bad idea."

It is my sister who alerted me to this petition. She is a Veteran of the Iraq War and the widow of a fallen soldier who died in Iraq protecting our freedom. She was alerted to it by other military members.
Posts 1 - 10 of 18