Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Joseph-841276 said: (Quote) Steven-706921 said: CCHR is an organization owned by, an...
(Quote) Joseph-841276 said:

[quote]Steven-706921 said:

CCHR is an organization owned by, and for exclusively funded by, the Church of Scientology.

Scientology or Co$
Oh great, I just hear the theremin playing in the background.

--hide--

Sorry about that. I liked the Theremin on the Beach Boys, and in the soundtrack to "Forbidden Planet."

youtu.be

Jan 1st 2013 new
(Quote) John-336509 said: Why are you spending so much time talking about automatic weapons? I will, yet again, point out...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Why are you spending so much time talking about automatic weapons? I will, yet again, point out that automatic weapons are neither widely available nor have they been used in any of the recent shootings. For that matter, the only major use of automatic weapons in an American mass murder that I can think of off the top of my head was the St. Valentine's Day Massacre back in the 1920's.

The 2nd Amendment was never about hunting or protection from wild animals. The 2nd Amendment was written entirely for the purpose of enabling the population to defend itself from an oppressive government. The events currently happening in Syria show that such an issue is still very relevant today.

For this reason, plans to track gun owners are a bad idea which would undercut the purpose of the amendment. What is worse is that there is absolutely no reason to believe that such a registry has any chance of preventing any of these shootings.

Likewise forcing people to carry liability insurance will only punish the innocent. The criminals will never bother to buy it, and the law abiding citizens will never actually be liable for anything. So there is absolutely no point to such a law.

Your statement that "Nobody has ever stopped a shooting spree no matter how many guns are out there" is patently and obviously false. Any number of shootings sprees have been brought to an end by guns. I think the highest number of people shot in a shooting spree was by James Huberty in the 1980's who shot something like 50 people and he was stopped when the police shot him.

There is no such thing as "automatic hollow point" or "semi-automatic hollow point." The bullet doesn't know or care about the loading or firing mechanisms of the weapon it is loaded into. It is either the right diameter and length to fit into the chamber, or it isn't.

Fortunately for the gun manufacturers and sellers, under your system they won't have to pay anything; they aren't the ones causing the destruction. That would be the people wielding the guns.

--hide--

I think she meant a jacketed hollow point, but those, in my opinion, would be better than regular bullets.

And thank you for posting. BTW, Google 71 year old man shoots robbers in Florida. The video clearly shows that the robbers intended bodily harm and the legally armed civilian uses his firearm to save innocent lives.
Jan 4th 2013 new
Thank you Ray 566531 for welcoming me to the forums. I got busy with the holidays and didn't get a chance to respond to your opinion. I have read what other people think about gun control and a armed guard in the schools. Many different opinions that we should all think about. I know if I had children in school now I would be happy if there was an armed policeman there for peace of mind. On the TV news they are saying many schools are trying the guard and stopped a mentally ill person from coming into one school so far. I agree it is sad that we have to be afraid for children to go to school now and ourselves in public places. It is not an easy answer to this problem but at least I know if I was at the mall I would be glad to see a armed guard there. Mentally ill people have to get more help then they are now and that may help. Movies that promote violence especially shootings should be stopped, another problem we have now that was not so bad when I was younger. I hope our country finds a solution, it will never be perfect, something better has be done...
Jan 5th 2013 new

This incident was also not widely reported in the media....

"Off-duty (armed)(female) police officer stops shooter at movie theater"

This happened December 16th, 2012, only two days after the Newtown shooting. This police officer was awarded the "medal of valor" by the San Antonio Police Department for stopping the shooter (by killing him). Numerous lives were likely saved because she had a gun and the proper training to stop the shooter.

See the (FOX News) story at screen.yahoo.com

I doubt if hardly anyone has heard about this incident.... Perhaps because it did not turn into a mass killing (because of the armed, off-duty officer) and/or it does not fit nicely into the media push for more gun control.

Ed

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: I think she meant a jacketed hollow point, but those, in my opinion, would be better than regul...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

I think she meant a jacketed hollow point, but those, in my opinion, would be better than regular bullets.

And thank you for posting. BTW, Google 71 year old man shoots robbers in Florida. The video clearly shows that the robbers intended bodily harm and the legally armed civilian uses his firearm to save innocent lives.
--hide--
This type of story happens all the time, but is rarely reported nationally:

www.ajc.com

Jan 6th 2013 new

This article was published on the front page of the (usually liberal) Sacramento (CA) Bee newspaper today (Sunday 1/6/13)

The first paragraph...

"California has millions more guns than it did 10 years ago. It also has thousands fewer gun injuries and deaths each year."

Read the full article at: www.sacbee.com

Click on the graphics in the article to see:

>> the dramatic increase in annual gun sales (in CA) since 2002 (from 350,000 in 2002 to 600,000 in 2011),

>> the significant (roughly 28%) decrease in hospitalizations due to firearm injuries from 2002 - 2011,

>> the significant (roughly 13%) decrease in deaths from firearm injuries from 2002 - 2010.

>> Note from from the charts that the percentages as they relate to assaults are even larger, as the percentages from "accidental", "attempted suicide" and "suicide" remained roughly the same over those same years.

Ed

Jan 6th 2013 new

Had she not had a gun, it is likely (or quite possible) that she and her kids would be dead and the robber would be still out there finding new victims.

Ed

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

Happy New Year fellow CM'ers!

Well, I spent my New Year's Day exercising my Second Amendment rights (while I still have them), and a group of family and friends went shooting. We went to a Sport Trap range and shot clay pigeons from various lovely spots in the woods with our family and house defense weapons. Very fun. Very Old England Country. Very American. The women shot very well, too, I am pleased to say. Of course, our retired SEAL was excellent. But the young Southwest pilot was the best. I'm flying Southwest next time!

Regarding gun laws: we already have more than enough. The best defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The best defense against a crazy guy with a gun is a sane guy or gal with a gun who knows how to use it well.

Regarding schools: sad to say but we need armed guards in there.

When you serve overseas in terrorist infested areas, as I have done, you learn that the bad guys generally go for the soft targets. You become safer by making yourself into a hard target, and one of the ways you do that is by making it risky for the bad guy. Bullies do not like to fight with a guy who will stand up for himself.

Therefore, we have made the problem worse by making schools gun free zones. What we should have done is have an armed response in the schools. Somebody needs to be there who can shoot the attacker dead. I'll be glad to pay for that. I'd do it myself if I was in the right place at the right time. I'm pro-inocent life. Not pro-murderer life. Murderers should be shot dead. The good guys need weapons to do that.

Jan 7th 2013 new

Happy New Year!

When a school district declares to be a "gun free zone" they should adopt the Target store logo and hang a big red & white bulls eye banner on the side of the school.... Might as well advertise that there is no one inside the school that can mount a defense against a potential shooter.

See the Target Store logo at www.target.com

Ed

Jan 7th 2013 new

Gerald,

Living in CA, I'm sure that you will find this newspaper article to be interesting:

This article was published on the front page of the (usually liberal) Sacramento (CA) Bee newspaper today (Sunday 1/6/13)

The first paragraph...

"California has millions more guns than it did 10 years ago. It also has thousands fewer gun injuries and deaths each year."

Read the full article at:

www.sacbee.com

Click on the graphics in the article to see:

>> the dramatic increase in annual gun sales (in CA) since 2002 (from 350,000 in 2002 to 600,000 in 2011),

>> the significant (roughly 28%) decrease in hospitalizations due to firearm injuries from 2002 - 2011,

>> the significant (roughly 13%) decrease in deaths from firearm injuries from 2002 - 2010.

>> Note from from the charts that the percentages as they relate to assaults are even larger, as the percentages from "accidental", "attempted suicide" and "suicide" remained roughly the same over those same years.

Ed

Posts 181 - 190 of 200