Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-711000 said: All gun laws should be elimanted as the second amendment clearly states "shall not b...
(Quote) John-711000 said:

All gun laws should be elimanted as the second amendment clearly states "shall not be infringed". Guns like any other weapon should only be used in self defense.

--hide--
The 2d Amendment is poorly worded and has been a source of legal anguish for years. Does it apply to individuals or to a group forming a militia? Individual ownership was actually established by the courts.

It was also written in the culture of the times when the US was a newly formed country, without a proven government. Provisions were made in the 2d Amendment for the protection of citizens in case someone wanted to establish a dictatorship or government system other than a democracy.

Dec 19th 2012 new
The rosary is the weapon we as Catholics should carry with us every day. I believe if we all did this there would be little need for these debates. Let's heed Our Lady's words folks. The signs of the times are upon us. Super storm Sandy, mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary, devastating events. I got an email the other day telling me that Sandy is derived from the name Allesandra which means "unheeded prophetess". If that's true--Wow. She's been loving us, warning us and begging us to turn our hearts, to pray. The Mother of God appears, and we don't listen to her. We gloss over it and talk about politics, sports, and whatever else. I am guilty of this. I know what I'm saying here sounds very apocalyptic and drastic, but it needs to be said. The world and our country are in a death spiral right now, and no earthly remedy can stop it I'm afraid. Only turning to God in humble prayer can turn the tide. This is as dire a message as I've typed here on these forums, but I'm feeling it strongly right now. St. Padre Pio, a saint for our times, called the rosary "my weapon". He would say, "Where's my weapon?" That's how I feel. I can't leave the house without it in my pocket. I devote my morning commute in the car to it. Keep the car radio off in the morning. All they spew is nonsense right now. Arrive at work in the world prepared. This is what I need. This is what all Catholics need. Ours cannot be the ways of this world: violence, argument, distraction from God. We need to focus on what she asks. Pray the rosary. It is the weapon. God bless, and forgive the long post.
Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said: Bring back prayer and the pledge of allegiance back into the school there would be lot less vio...
(Quote) Michael-556947 said:

Bring back prayer and the pledge of allegiance back into the school there would be lot less violence .

--hide--
The Pledge of Allegiance should never have left, and if it has, should return. Prayer cannot return to our schools as it once was because of so many other faiths (and none) represented among student populations. You're living in a fantasy world if you think that can happen. If we brought back Christian prayer, we would have to allow equal representation to Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and scariest of all, cults like Scientology (believe it or not, it has tax-exempt status as a religion). Students can now pray silently- that's the best we can hope for today.

Dec 19th 2012 new

First of all, there is no such thing as an "assault rifle." This was a phrase invented by gun control advocates in order to scare low information people who don't know better.

My understanding now is that the Bushmaster rifle was not even used. Instead he used two handguns. I could be wrong, but heard a report of such and not from the incompetent media who got it all wrong for the first 24 hours.

Second, ". . . a well regulated malitia, . . ." as captioned in our 2nd Amendment doesn't mean controlled, it means trained. As a citizen you were part of the militia by law and required to train on your own so that when called up you'd be ready to defend your city, county, state and country.

Third, our Revolution started over gun control. The British were marching to Concord to sieze a supply of firearms. They saw muzzle loading rifles at that time the way we view fully automatic firearms today.

If there is any doubt as to their intent with the 2nd Amendment, may I quote Partick Henry, as Chief Justice of the Virgina Supreme Court (at the tme considered more presegious than the US Supreme Court), "The tendency of government is to expand its responsibility and thereby its control over the people. . . the intent is that every man be armed. Everyone who can, may own a gun."

GSM (Game, Set, Match)

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: The rosary is the weapon we as Catholics should carry with us every day. I believe if we all did this the...
(Quote) John-746882 said: The rosary is the weapon we as Catholics should carry with us every day. I believe if we all did this there would be little need for these debates. Let's heed Our Lady's words folks. The signs of the times are upon us. Super storm Sandy, mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary, devastating events. I got an email the other day telling me that Sandy is derived from the name Allesandra which means "unheeded prophetess". If that's true--Wow. She's been loving us, warning us and begging us to turn our hearts, to pray. The Mother of God appears, and we don't listen to her. We gloss over it and talk about politics, sports, and whatever else. I am guilty of this. I know what I'm saying here sounds very apocalyptic and drastic, but it needs to be said. The world and our country are in a death spiral right now, and no earthly remedy can stop it I'm afraid. Only turning to God in humble prayer can turn the tide. This is as dire a message as I've typed here on these forums, but I'm feeling it strongly right now. St. Padre Pio, a saint for our times, called the rosary "my weapon". He would say, "Where's my weapon?" That's how I feel. I can't leave the house without it in my pocket. I devote my morning commute in the car to it. Keep the car radio off in the morning. All they spew is nonsense right now. Arrive at work in the world prepared. This is what I need. This is what all Catholics need. Ours cannot be the ways of this world: violence, argument, distraction from God. We need to focus on what she asks. Pray the rosary. It is the weapon. God bless, and forgive the long post.
--hide--
Indeed, John, true prayer is a powerful weapon; the Rosary is one of the tops.

Not wanting to distract you from praying the Rosary while you're in the car, but if you happen to listen to the radio occasionally, you might find a Catholic radio station broadcasting in your area. The widely known Relevant Radio has stations throughout the country; you can look up Relevant Radio on Google to see what's closest to you. It's primarily a talk radio station, with intermitten prayers -- such as the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and, of course, the Rosary.

Our Blessed Mother has told us of the power of the Rosary, so I don't want to detract from that. Just tossing the info out there to supplement what you're doing if you have some extra time.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

Tom,

Metal detectors may help in some cases, but if someone is determined to murder people, that won't stop them. There was a school shooting a number of years ago in my area on an Indian Reservation, and they had metal detectors. They just ran a car through the front doors and went to shooting.

I think the most logical step would be to have an armed guard in the school, if a school board feels a real threat exists at their location.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The 2d Amendment is poorly worded and has been a source of legal anguish for years. Does it apply t...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The 2d Amendment is poorly worded and has been a source of legal anguish for years. Does it apply to individuals or to a group forming a militia? Individual ownership was actually established by the courts.

It was also written in the culture of the times when the US was a newly formed country, without a proven government. Provisions were made in the 2d Amendment for the protection of citizens in case someone wanted to establish a dictatorship or government system other than a democracy.

--hide--

The second amendment doesn't need to be argued at all. It's a simple right of self defense where every citizen has the legal right to bear arms.

Why would anyone in our government want to take that right away?

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-711000 said: The second amendment doesn't need to be argued at all. It's a simple right of sel...

The second amendment doesn't need to be argued at all. It's a simple right of self defense where every citizen has the legal right to bear arms.

Why would anyone in our government want to take that right away?

--hide--
Even if that was seriously contemplated by the government, it would be nearly impossible to enforce given the fact there are over 300 million KNOWN guns out there, plus who knows how many they don't know about.

I think more serious attempts were be contemplated if there was more abuse than we have now. Guns that were legally purchased (such as the case with Mrs Lanza) need to be kept securely to minimize the possibility of unwarranted access. Owning a weapon is an awesome responsibility considering how easy it is to misuse one.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Even if that was seriously contemplated by the government, it would be nearly impossible to enforce...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Even if that was seriously contemplated by the government, it would be nearly impossible to enforce given the fact there are over 300 million KNOWN guns out there, plus who knows how many they don't know about.

I think more serious attempts were be contemplated if there was more abuse than we have now. Guns that were legally purchased (such as the case with Mrs Lanza) need to be kept securely to minimize the possibility of unwarranted access. Owning a weapon is an awesome responsibility considering how easy it is to misuse one.

--hide--

There's information gathering on the web that indicates many of these shootings are not what they appear to be. I agree with personal responisbility. I think we all know guns by themselves are not the problem yet the media is far too quick to blame a gun which cannot make any decisions by itself. There is also reports of Mr Lanza being on medication, maybe we should be putting regulations on antiphychotic drugs that have phychotic side effects.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-711000 said: There's information gathering on the web that indicates many of these shootings are n...

There's information gathering on the web that indicates many of these shootings are not what they appear to be. I agree with personal responisbility. I think we all know guns by themselves are not the problem yet the media is far too quick to blame a gun which cannot make any decisions by itself. There is also reports of Mr Lanza being on medication, maybe we should be putting regulations on antiphychotic drugs that have phychotic side effects.

--hide--
It seems both sides are open to discussing that. John. That maybe a step in the right direction -- one that people can agree with. It's not a total solution, but it's better than no action at all.

Posts 21 - 30 of 200