Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

12/19/2012 new
(Quote) Thess-624577 said: I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN! It doesn't matte...
(Quote) Thess-624577 said:

I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN!

It doesn't matter if it's legally purchase or not. Guns are meant to shoot people not cats or dogs. So owning one means shooting a person one way or another. Look at what happened in CT. The mother legally owns the gun... was she able to control the consequence of owning it? NO!!! Kids died and our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.

--hide--

I do agree on one thing, guns are meant to shoot people, but even Law Enforcement does it to protect. So yes, absolutely arm the teachers and school nurse and anyone else who wants to carry. There are not enough cops and guards for every area that needs protecting. As soon as the schools are safe, the nutjobs will move to the churches, sports arenas and shopping malls.

As someone who has close ties to law enforcement, I can tell you this is the better option.
12/19/2012 new

Just heard from a friend: "If guns kill people....how come people come out of a gun show alive?"

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Just heard from a friend: "If guns kill people....how come people come out of a gun show ali...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Just heard from a friend: "If guns kill people....how come people come out of a gun show alive?"

--hide--
Good acting!!!

12/19/2012 new

I hesitated to post anything until I noticed that everyone's age who has already posted are much older than me. One solution was not noted that would have stopped this: Post a guard at the school's property edge/entrance! You folks have not been to a high school recently...go try to visit it sometime and try to get into the parking lot, then reply back to this thread with your experience and the trouble you got yourself into.

found on the trusy wiki :)

The Red Lake massacre was an incident ofspree killing that occurred in two places on the OjibweRed Lake reservation inRed Lake, Minnesota, United States. On the morning of March 21, 2005, 16-year-oldJeffrey Weise (Ojibwe) killed his grandfather and his companion. Taking his grandfather's police weapons and vest, Weise drove his police vehicle toRed Lake Senior High School, where he had been a student some months before.

He shot and killed seven people at the school, beginning with an unarmed security guard at the entrance, and wounded five others. The dead included a teacher and four students. Weise exchanged gunfire with police who quickly arrived at the school; after being wounded, he committed suicide in a vacant classroom....As he entered the school through the main entrance, he encountered two unarmed security guards manning a metal detector. Weise shot and killed Derrick Brun, while the other security guard escaped without injury. Weise went into the main corridor of the school...He had lived mostly with his paternal aunts Shauna and Tammy Lussier, who arranged for most of his medical care; after the shootings, they expressed concern about the recent increase prescribed for his anti-depressant.

One more thing: there has been documentation that those drugs for children reduces ones willpower, such that one girl was possess by the demon and had not the willpower to get rid of it. This post is written to indicate to take responsibility of one's actions...drugs are a cop-out. Get rid of the drugs first..and those shooter video games too. Have a Merry Christmas.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all o...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: After since the shooting in Connecticut, how should the gun laws be enforced? I say like in schools, all of them need to have metal detectors.
--hide--

No matter how many laws or how strict they are...if someone really wants to cause harm, he/she will figure out how to get around them.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Thess-624577 said: I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN! It doesn't matter if it's lega...
(Quote) Thess-624577 said:

I say: NO BADGE, NO GUN!

It doesn't matter if it's legally purchase or not. Guns are meant to shoot people not cats or dogs. So owning one means shooting a person one way or another. Look at what happened in CT. The mother legally owns the gun... was she able to control the consequence of owning it? NO!!! Kids died and our nation's heart is bleeding. End of story.

--hide--

I live in a rural area and guns are owned by hunters who shoot animals to provide food for the table. For many it is a needed suppliment over the winter months, others it is a chosen commodity, and others donate the meat to the food pantry. It can be life sustaining for the poor. Once again it's the people who shoot people and the focus needs to be placed on the mental state of the perpretator.

12/19/2012 new
Thanks Ray. In the NY metropolitan area there isn't much Catholic radio, at least that I know of. My rant wasn't so much against radio/media but rather more for taking more time for prayer. By the way I've greatly enjoyed your posts. A lot of wisdom and good humor. Thanks and God bless. John
12/19/2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Thanks Ray. In the NY metropolitan area there isn't much Catholic radio, at least that I know of. My ...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Thanks Ray. In the NY metropolitan area there isn't much Catholic radio, at least that I know of. My rant wasn't so much against radio/media but rather more for taking more time for prayer. By the way I've greatly enjoyed your posts. A lot of wisdom and good humor. Thanks and God bless. John
--hide--
Thank you for your kind words, John. If there's some wisdom imparted, it's to be credited to the Holy Spirit.

I didn't take your post as a rant against the media, but rather an emphasis on the power of prayer, especially the Rosary. One of the most dramatic examples that comes to mind about this is Our Lady's instructions to pray the Rosary for the conversion of Russia and the downfall of Communism there. Mother Mary and her Son must have been pleased with the results of her petition. While Russia still has its share of problems, the power of Communism has been eliminated.

Keep carrying your "weapon" -- it's extremely effective. It's gratifying to see younger people such as yourself so devoted to an intense prayer life. We can all learn a lesson from you. Keep doing what you're doing. It's better than listening to the radio!!!

A blessed Advent season and a Merry Christmas to you, John.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: I hesitated to post anything until I noticed that everyone's age who has already posted are...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

I hesitated to post anything until I noticed that everyone's age who has already posted are much older than me. One solution was not noted that would have stopped this: Post a guard at the school's property edge/entrance! You folks have not been to a high school recently...go try to visit it sometime and try to get into the parking lot, then reply back to this thread with your experience and the trouble you got yourself into.

found on the trusy wiki :)

The Red Lake massacre was an incident ofspree killing that occurred in two places on the OjibweRed Lake reservation inRed Lake, Minnesota, United States. On the morning of March 21, 2005, 16-year-oldJeffrey Weise (Ojibwe) killed his grandfather and his companion. Taking his grandfather's police weapons and vest, Weise drove his police vehicle toRed Lake Senior High School, where he had been a student some months before.

He shot and killed seven people at the school, beginning with an unarmed security guard at the entrance, and wounded five others. The dead included a teacher and four students. Weise exchanged gunfire with police who quickly arrived at the school; after being wounded, he committed suicide in a vacant classroom....As he entered the school through the main entrance, he encountered two unarmed security guards manning a metal detector. Weise shot and killed Derrick Brun, while the other security guard escaped without injury. Weise went into the main corridor of the school...He had lived mostly with his paternal aunts Shauna and Tammy Lussier, who arranged for most of his medical care; after the shootings, they expressed concern about the recent increase prescribed for his anti-depressant.

One more thing: there has been documentation that those drugs for children reduces ones willpower, such that one girl was possess by the demon and had not the willpower to get rid of it. This post is written to indicate to take responsibility of one's actions...drugs are a cop-out. Get rid of the drugs first..and those shooter video games too. Have a Merry Christmas.

--hide--

William,

That is the shooting I was talking about. I live about 20 miles from there, and I did suggest having armed guards. Things have settled down now on that Reservation, but it was known to have problems with crime, drugs, and poverty. The situation is a little different there because this particular Reservation is an Independent Nation (there's only 2 in the US). I may be wrong, but from what I understand even the Fed. Gov. doesn't have any jurisdiction there, and outside law enforcement is not brought in unless they are asked to assist by the tribal government.

The surrounding schools don't have the level of secruity that one did because the threat wasn't there for them. However more are locking their doors now.

12/19/2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Just heard from a friend: "If guns kill people....how come people come out of a gun show alive?"
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

--hide--

Excellent point, Jerry. As far as I know, there has never been an armed attack at a gunshow. The guns outnumber the people, all crowded together in a limited space, and everyone comes out OK. There's a lesson there.
Posts 31 - 40 of 200