Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 20th 2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: What a heartbreaking story. May we not get over it soon. It deserves our mourning. God bless, and God ble...
(Quote) John-746882 said: What a heartbreaking story. May we not get over it soon. It deserves our mourning. God bless, and God bless all touched by this.
--hide--
Amen, John. This should be our true focus at the present time. For the victims and their families and friends in mourning, the concept of gun control is meaningless during their period of grief. These events touch the entire nation, especially when so many innocent young lives are lost. As someone once said, "Burying your child is an unnatural act." No disagreement with that. angel

Dec 20th 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: It seems absurd that we could reduce abortions by banning certain surgical instruments.Ed
(Quote) ED-20630 said: It seems absurd that we could reduce abortions by banning certain surgical instruments.Ed
--hide--

Actually that might work- never been there for an abortion, and yes I know that the same instruments used in other GYN
care could be used, but doctors are quite dependent on their tools, as are the nurses who perform abortions...
might be time to buy stock in an instrument company and choke off the supply...

Dec 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Just the plastic ones if you eat too many of them....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Just the plastic ones if you eat too many of them....

--hide--
rolling eyes rolling eyes

Dec 20th 2012 new

The surest way for evil to succeed is for good men/women to do nothing to check its spread. The devil's greatest triumph is to have convinced huge swaths of society that he does not exist. Newtown's tragedy is due to demonic influence. I was a public high school teacher for forty-two years. Listen and I'll tell you about our teens...they are angry, disappointed, fearful and disgusted. And those emotions are directed mainly at the adults in their lives. Why? It is because they so desperately want to have courageous and truthful adults to whom they can look up to. So many of these young people are children of divorce. They are the ones who were not aborted, whereas a large percentage of their age group was aborted. So many of their teachers are wimps who push all the trendy liberal garbage of the NEA down their throats..same sex "marriage," homosexuality, abortion, money-acquisition, etc. These young people thirst for truth, thirst for adults who have guts to speak truth. They want lions, not liars. So many of these kids are so confused. What are you all doing to change the status quo? Metal detectors...putting a band-aid on the huge, gaping wound. Get out there and have the fortitude to work with young people...proclaim Christ to them....inform yourselves about His Love...and spread the Word!

Tim

Dec 20th 2012 new
Tim, You see it correct and speak the truth. Thank you. John
Dec 20th 2012 new

Being a mechanical engineer, I am thinking of engineering solutions to this problem....

It seems to me that each classroom could be either designed with, or retrofitted with one of the following:

A) A small "safe room", perhaps not much larger than a good-size closet. If it were a closet, it could be retrofitted with various wall materials like (bullet-proof) steel plate, Kevlar (bullet-proof) mesh, etc., and a heavy door that can be locked and bolted from the inside. It wouldn't be too expensive to install materials that would stop a rifle bullet. A whole classroom of kids and a couple of teachers could cram into such a space in less than a minute, if necessary. They would only have to remain in there for about 15-30 minutes... just until the police arrive and make the situation safe to come out.

B) A trap door in the floor that would lead to the basement mechanical room or a small, below ground shelter. Again, lock it from the inside. In the case of this latest shooting, as soon as shots were heard over the intercom, the entire room full of people could essential disappear safe and sound in perhaps one minute.

Just my thoughts. scratchchin

Ed

Dec 21st 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Being a mechanical engineer, I am thinking of engineering solutions to this problem.... It...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Being a mechanical engineer, I am thinking of engineering solutions to this problem....

It seems to me that each classroom could be either designed with, or retrofitted with one of the following:

A) A small "safe room", perhaps not much larger than a good-size closet. If it were a closet, it could be retrofitted with various wall materials like (bullet-proof) steel plate, Kevlar (bullet-proof) mesh, etc., and a heavy door that can be locked and bolted from the inside. It wouldn't be too expensive to install materials that would stop a rifle bullet. A whole classroom of kids and a couple of teachers could cram into such a space in less than a minute, if necessary. They would only have to remain in there for about 15-30 minutes... just until the police arrive and make the situation safe to come out.

B) A trap door in the floor that would lead to the basement mechanical room or a small, below ground shelter. Again, lock it from the inside. In the case of this latest shooting, as soon as shots were heard over the intercom, the entire room full of people could essential disappear safe and sound in perhaps one minute.

--hide--

There has to be some means of access from the outside should someone lock themself(ves) in the room, become incapacitated, lose outside communication, etc. Securing the emergency access portal then becomes a concern.

Ventilation and cooling must be provided for, with consideration being given to power failures. The smaller the room, the quicker heat and CO2 will build up. Keep in mind that CO2 is heavier than O2, so a simple vent to the roof is not likely to work.

The most complicated problems to deal with will be behavioral issues: claustrophobia, hysteria, aggressive physical behavior, etc.

Dec 21st 2012 new

Hi Jerry,

I agree with all of your points... and certainly making it so that it could be opened by a knowledgable person from the outside. This sort of outside unlocking mechanism just needs to fool/frustrate the shooter.

There could be a good light inside, some rather simple forced ventilation, water bottles, first aid kit, small polycarbonate (bullet-proof) window, a few stuffed animals, perhaps even a compressed air supply (if needed), silent alarm (like a bank has) and perhaps other simple amenities that could make it tolerable for a 1/2 hour. It wouldn't be pleasant, but I think it would be preferable to being in the line of fire.

This solution would be somewhat different for each school, depending also on whether it is designed into a new school room or is retrofitted into an existing structure.

Ed

Dec 21st 2012 new

I think that gun manufacturer and sellers should be liable for the destruction they cause. Also automatic and semi- automatic hollow point should be restricted to law enforcement agencies. A considerable tax on firearms and ammunition to pay for the medical expenses of shooting victims. Licensing all gunowners, and must carry liability insurance, and all firearms cradle to grave registration, the same as a car. But most of these incidents are so random and done by individuals with no criminal history. There is enough stigma on a psych history that these people are already deterred from seeking any kind of help voluntarily. but metal detectors everywhere, who is going to pay for that? But there should be a way to tract someone buying a large supply of ammunition especially for automatic weapons. I have issues with going through a metal detector everytime I go anywhere, why not put the burden on the gun manufacterers and owners. I don't think the second ammendment is relevant to today, when people don't usually hunt for food or need protection from wild animals. Nobody has ever stopped a shooting spree no matter how many guns are out there, because the element of surprise and target are part of the psycho's plan. Thanks for listening anyway.

Dec 21st 2012 new

These instruments do not allow them to perform 630 abortions in a minute. That is the issue with automatic weapons. You cannot even pull a gun and point it in that time to defend yourself. You could do just as much by pulling a fire extinguisher off the wall and aiming for the eyes. but there is no time.

Posts 61 - 70 of 200