Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Every industry can promote a message ...

As a responsible gun owner what brief two or three sentence message do you want your 20 yr. old son or daughter to hear from you?

This is your chance to be the media.

Dec 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Every industry can promote a message ... As a responsible gun owner what brief two or thr...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Every industry can promote a message ...

As a responsible gun owner what brief two or three sentence message do you want your 20 yr. old son or daughter to hear from you?

This is your chance to be the media.

--hide--

As a grandson, nephew, and cousin of police officers, military veterans who served in combat, and avid hunters, I would not want my children to receive their gun training courtesy of the media or any industry outside of our home. Nor would their education be withheld from them until adulthood.

It's not the responsibility of the media, or any other industry, to educate my children about anything, especially guns. Nor should they be given the opportunity to have that level of influence on my children. That responsibility and privilege belongs to me, their father.

Somehow, modern culture seems to have either forgotten that, or has refused to allow itself to be held accountable for that responsibility. Whichever the case may be, this is the result of it all.

theheart

Dec 17th 2012 new

Thank you for your msg. Victor.

Dec 17th 2012 new

Hi Andrea,

Just a bit of background.... I don't currently own a gun, but I grew up on my family's farm (in rural SE Washington state) and I was around guns all the time until I left home to go to college. During that time, I used guns often.

A quick inventory of the guns that were in our home include:

>> 3-4 small caliber "22" rifles for target shooting, hunting birds, hunting squirrels and killing our cattle and pigs for meat for the table.

>> 3-4 shotguns of different types for target shooting ("trap shooting" of clay "pigeons" at the local gun club), hunting birds, etc.

>> 2 large caliber rifles primarily used for hunting deer, etc. at long range.

>> Of course, any of the above guns could have also been used for self defense.

I graduated from my first, professionally taught, gun safety training course at age 11. Many of my friends and school classmates, of similar age, were also in that class. We learned all about gun safety, gun care, hunting practices, hunting safety, etc.

For a bit of perspective, there are many, many things on a modern farm that can easily kill, maim or otherwise very seriously injure someone. As compared to other sorts of farm machinery and potential farm accidents, a gun is lower down the list (in terms of risk) because it is more easily controlled, works the same way every time, and operates in a very predictable and simple manner. It is a rather simple machine/tool, and that is a good thing.

As with other farm tools, the most comprehensive way to reduce the risk is to fully understand how the machine (gun) works, completely respect the machine's (gun's) ability to do harm, regularly practice in it's proper use and at all times avoid putting oneself or others in harms way (e.g. never point a gun, even when unloaded, at someone or something that could be harmed if it were to fire by accident).

---------------------

All of the above being said, a responsible gun owner should (ideally) teach a son or daughter about the proper use/handling of guns throughout their early life. This is not a one-time discussion to have with a 20-year-old son or daughter. Think of it more in the framework of discussing sex and morality with a son or daughter. It won't do much good to give them some pearl of wisdom when they turn 20. It really needs to be something that is taught and built-upon throughout their early life, before they leave home. From an early age, a son or daughter should know how to treat/respect a gun if they happen to see one close at hand. This also works as an insurance policy (of sorts). If that son or daughter sees such a weapon at a friend's home or at a school, they should know exactly what to do so that no harm will come because of it.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Dec 17th 2012 new

The media in this forum is us. And there are 20 yr. olds, 30 yr. olds that may never have a father or have a gun course.

In life, we often speak without words and teach by example. But I'm asking for some words. Or you may think these words are obvious.

Victor's message is a powerful one - "I am your father." He said more than that, but those words speak volumes about him.

That was probably one of the most important messages. You can assume you are speaking to "any" or "any age" child instead of a 20 year old.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5