Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Thank you thank you thank you
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said:

Thank you thank you thank you

--hide--
Kelly, God is with you always and don't ever forget that k. Here is a great video that shows what it is, but It is graphic so be ready. www.abort73.com

Dec 18th 2012 new

That is too bad your friend does not appreciate the right to life, or have sympathy for the unborn. I know that can be frustrating. But perhaps you went through this process so that later, when discussing this with someone else, you have the knowledge on hand to change their mind?

Dec 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Something I posted on Facebook led to a "conversation" about abortion with an acquaintance of mine. ...
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said:

Something I posted on Facebook led to a "conversation" about abortion with an acquaintance of mine. It has left me extremely disheartened. I try to have discussions about things without getting too "in your face" about it, and I always try to back up my opinions with facts. Also, I like to ask questions to get the other person to really think about their opinions. Well, those things made no difference yesterday! Some of the things that were said that made me feel so hopeless and heartbroken were:

"It's embarrassing that anyone finds abortion to be a 'national tragedy'"

"I'm sorry that you don't like abortion, and the he doesn't like abortion, but at the end of the day, it's not your concern what other people do." - this argument drives me CRAZY!

I said, "by day 22, the heart is beating with the child's own blood" and "By week 12, the baby can experience pain" and the response was: "I'd like to remind you that at week 12 it is not a baby - it's still legally defined as a fetus." (Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess)

"All I have to say is, you believe what you want - but don't take away some other woman's opportunity." - abortion = woman's opportunity!?

"abortion is actually helping society." - this one KILLED me!!!! I'm sure you are wondering her reasoning, and of course, I asked her to explain: "Many women who get abortions are in low income brackets - they may have drug and alcohol problems, health concerns, or their spouse may have those problems. These are the same income levels that produce the majority of crime. When these women have children they're not ready for, these children grow up in unstable homes. Many have one parent, drug and alcohol problems by 13, access to guns and gangs, and are abused or see abuse. These are the kids that join gangs. As macabre as it sounds, abortion seems to be contributing to the decreasing crime rate in the US because less kids are being born into these environments."

I could really put more up here...this wasn't the end of it. I'm not even sure why I'm posting all of this. Maybe for support...maybe for more factual information that might help me talk to people like this....maybe just to ask you to never stop praying for an end to abortion....

--hide--
Dec 23rd 2012 new

Spiritual battle...prayer and fasting to turn these hardened hearts. Try not to get discouraged because God calls us to not be successful but to be faithful...Mother Theresa said. I know of the disappointments and battles due to being involved with pro-life, too, in CT. I pray that the outrage of the children and adults who were slain in Newtown, CT reveal the horror at losing precious life at all stages of life in people's hearts.

Dec 23rd 2012 new
What I tell people who say the unborn aren't alive or human yet is that what it takes to be alive is growth and development which the unborn are experts at. The unborn are not ever attached to the mother in any way. From the moment of conception (usually in the fallopian tube) the fertilized egg is floating freely and has all it needs to become the adult it should be allowed to become except food, oxygen and shelter which it relies on its mother to provide. All its DNA is there which makes the child totally unique. Even the mother could be refused as a donor if the child needed, say, a bone marrow transplant in the future. Genetically the child would be more closely related to full siblings than its parents. That's why siblings make better donors.

The unborn are never at any time connected to the mother. They slip out at birth freely along with their umbilical cords and placentas which are organs of the baby, not the mother, and are cut from the baby as they are no longer needed after birth.

All the baby ever receives from the mother from the moment of conception is food, oxygen and shelter which is what all humans need regardless of age.

A DNA test at any stage of development throughout its life will prove its humanity. And its growth and development at any stage will prove its life.
Jan 6th 2013 new
Kelly, I can empathize with your concerns. Sometimes this debate (if that is what we call it) with others becomes an exercise in futility because they are so entrenched in what they think. Have you ever heard the expression actions speak louder than words? Live a life with exemplifies your beliefs. Arguments often push others away....think about It...I hate when someone tries forcing their views on me often get that impression from others who don't agree w me on that front. My path on dealing w this is different than most....clearly prayer is a key item. Additionally I both support and promote agencies that offer unconditional support and help to women and children. I tell others about these organizations and encourage them to learn more about them and get involved. Women need to see that there is real help down the road.

I've been extremely fortunate to have had 18 plus yrs of catholic education where I've had an opportunity to see the good work that these folks do. For me, I think if you can get folks in the door and they get to see some of the good things that are going on, you're bound to get a greater impact than w words. (I realize its not going to work with all but I do feel its often and underutilized tool in framing this issue that is consistent w our faith and values).
Jan 7th 2013 new
Bless you. I have one liberal, atheist, Obama supporter friend who disagrees with me on so many things, but she hears me out and we agree to disagree. Just today, I did a local pro-life walk in preparation for the state one next week. I sent a pic to friends of me holding a sign, and I sent it to her. She had no clue people do these events. I'm not sure if she even realized such events exist. She was raised Christian, not Catholic, but still. A close friend of mine had an abortion in August 2010. She didn't tell me until April 2011. She is Hindu and her mom encouraged her to have it. The father was a guy she dated, and he never knew about any of it. She said she didn't regret the abortion, but I think she means she regrets the fact that she got pregnant. She really was upset about it, even all those months later, and though I was upset and devastated, I found a number for a counselor to help her. She spoke to the counselor once and said it helped. Since then, she has looked into religious things a little. I got her signed up for The Purpose Driven Life daily emails and she really likes those. My atheist friend that I referred to earlier is an avid reader. I recommended Unplanned, and though I read it (coincidently around the time my friend told me about her abortion), I'm going to read it with her while she reads it for the first time. I guess you never know.... Prophetizing is tough!
Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Bless you. I have one liberal, atheist, Obama supporter friend who disagrees with me on so many things, b...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Bless you. I have one liberal, atheist, Obama supporter friend who disagrees with me on so many things, but she hears me out and we agree to disagree. Just today, I did a local pro-life walk in preparation for the state one next week. I sent a pic to friends of me holding a sign, and I sent it to her. She had no clue people do these events. I'm not sure if she even realized such events exist. She was raised Christian, not Catholic, but still. A close friend of mine had an abortion in August 2010. She didn't tell me until April 2011. She is Hindu and her mom encouraged her to have it. The father was a guy she dated, and he never knew about any of it. She said she didn't regret the abortion, but I think she means she regrets the fact that she got pregnant. She really was upset about it, even all those months later, and though I was upset and devastated, I found a number for a counselor to help her. She spoke to the counselor once and said it helped. Since then, she has looked into religious things a little. I got her signed up for The Purpose Driven Life daily emails and she really likes those. My atheist friend that I referred to earlier is an avid reader. I recommended Unplanned, and though I read it (coincidently around the time my friend told me about her abortion), I'm going to read it with her while she reads it for the first time. I guess you never know.... Prophetizing is tough!
--hide--
But the information you've gathered from your references doesn't make you a non-prophet organization..... angel

Feb 4th 2013 new

I found myself is the same situation last year. It was disheartening and hurt like crazy. Once the converation came to an end I ask God to turn every tear I cried into a prayer to end abortion. I had to remind myself that at least the children are safe in God's arms and not in the arms of someone who doesn't respect life, especially its earliest stages.

Feb 4th 2013 new

Somebody here on CM has an image of a poster in their profile that states (I'm paraphrasing from memory) "If a single molecule of life were discovered anywhere else but on earth, it would be heralded by the scientific community as not only proof of life, but also as the greatest discovery in the history of mankind. But here on earth, a 12 week old fetus with a heart, lungs, brain, and a central nervous center is not considered to be alive."

The great conumdrum. We become so used to God's miracles that we no longer stand in awe of His creations. Familiarity without appreciation can breed indifference, boredom, and arrogance to that which we should never cease in our wonder. It's why our Lord admonishes us to be like "little children" to enter upon His kingdom.

Posts 11 - 20 of 22