Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Pray for our President

Dec 17th 2012 new

I cut out parts of the text to Obama's speech that jumped out at me last night. The words themselves are moving. I think he provided some healing to the families so that is a good thing and I don't want to diminish it. It just strikes me as so odd that he can't listen to his own words and apply them to the unborn. Maybe he can. Maybe it is possible he will have a conversion of heart one day. It is going to take a lot of prayer.
_________
" And in that way we come to realize that we bear responsibility for every child, because we’re counting on everybody else to help look after ours, that we’re all parents, that they are all our children.

This is our first task, caring for our children. It’s our first job. If we don’t get that right, we don’t get anything right. That’s how, as a society, we will be judged.

And by that measure, can we truly say, as a nation, that we’re meeting our obligations?

Can we honestly say that we’re doing enough to keep our children, all of them, safe from harm?

Can we claim, as a nation, that we’re all together there, letting them know they are loved and teaching them to love in return?

Can we say that we’re truly doing enough to give all the children of this country the chance they deserve to live out their lives in happiness and with purpose?

I’ve been reflecting on this the last few days, and if we’re honest with ourselves, the answer’s no. We’re not doing enough. And we will have to change.

We can’t accept events like this as routine.

Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?

Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?

Dec 18th 2012 new

Katherine,

I had very similar thoughts to yours as I listened to the President Obama's speech on Sunday afternoon. It will be interesting to see the sort of deep reflection that he did, as it plays out over the next months and years. At the time that he delivered his speech, I was thinking that this is just the sort of speech that someone like John Cardinal O'Connor could have delivered concerning abortion in this country. Obama just needs to make the connection now between these two groups of people (the unborn and first-grade kids).

Below was my response to Obama's speech (posted yesterday), which I recopied from another thread....

----------------------------

President Obama spoke at the interfaith service this (Sunday - 12/16) afternoon in Newtown, CT.

Paraphrasing, he said that "he hs done a lot of thinking about this over the past few days" and that "we must do more to protect all of the young children of this nation".

I take the president at his word. That said, I can think of nothing more immediate, significant and long-lasting than for the president to sign an executive order this week which would rescind all funding for abortion services through the new health care act, military medical services and the United Nations family planning services. This single act on his part (which, I believe, could be accomplished by him alone through executive order) would certainly save 1000s of times more children than have ever been harmed in senseless shootings throughout the U.S.

It is time for the president to provide some true leadership. He always complains that Congress never acts. On this issue, he can act tomorrow, saving tens of thousands of lives in the process. If he has a problem seeing these unborn citizens as real people, perhaps he should just think of them as "future first-graders".

I'll be waiting for him to sign the executive order this week... and the press conference to follow. Imagine the goodwill that he would create on the right by doing such a thing..... It might even help to resolve the "fiscal cliff" crisis.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Katherine-137883 said: I cut out parts of the text to Obama's speech that jumped out at ...
(Quote) Katherine-137883 said:

I cut out parts of the text to Obama's speech that jumped out at me last night. The words themselves are moving. I think he provided some healing to the families so that is a good thing and I don't want to diminish it. It just strikes me as so odd that he can't listen to his own words and apply them to the unborn. Maybe he can. Maybe it is possible he will have a conversion of heart one day. It is going to take a lot of prayer.
_________
" And in that way we come to realize that we bear responsibility for every child, because we’re counting on everybody else to help look after ours, that we’re all parents, that they are all our children.

This is our first task, caring for our children. It’s our first job. If we don’t get that right, we don’t get anything right. That’s how, as a society, we will be judged.

And by that measure, can we truly say, as a nation, that we’re meeting our obligations?

Can we honestly say that we’re doing enough to keep our children, all of them, safe from harm?

Can we claim, as a nation, that we’re all together there, letting them know they are loved and teaching them to love in return?

Can we say that we’re truly doing enough to give all the children of this country the chance they deserve to live out their lives in happiness and with purpose?

I’ve been reflecting on this the last few days, and if we’re honest with ourselves, the answer’s no. We’re not doing enough. And we will have to change.

We can’t accept events like this as routine.

Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?

Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?

--hide--

Good points. It was also noticed he moved away from the narcissistic "I" that is so prevalent in many of his speeches.

Dec 18th 2012 new

Or it could have been a speech Pope John Paul II gave. He said "A nation that kills its own children is a nation without hope". Thankfully our nation has appropriate outrage at the murder of 20 kindergarden children, but no outrage of the murder of 4000 children per day. Over 20 of these babies killed everyday are killed in one of the barbaric ways where they feel excrutiating pain.

The other thing Obama could reflect on is why we are a divided nation, full of hate. His campaign was as divided and hateful as it gets, so healing the deviceness in our nation could start with him. We still can't talk about ending abortion without enduring a bunch of name calling. People can't talk about eliminating assault rifles without the same name calling.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Good points. It was also noticed he moved away from the narcissistic "I" that is...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

Good points. It was also noticed he moved away from the narcissistic "I" that is so prevalent in many of his speeches.

--hide--

I noticed that too, John.

Dec 18th 2012 new

I made an error in my previous post....

What I meant to write is that it was the sort of speech that someone like Timothy Cardinal Dolan (President - U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops) could have delivered concerning abortion.

I believe that John Cardinal O'Connor died several years ago.

Ed

Dec 19th 2012 new

Well we should hope that all our cardinals, bishops, and priests would be giving such speeches (wishful thinking)

Dec 19th 2012 new
I agree Katherine. The president needs prayer. As do we all. I was not as moved by his speech as you, but maybe I'm too cynical. My take is that actions speak louder than words. I don't dismiss the comfort the speech may have given to people, and hopefully people are getting comforted by God's grace. I was troubled that he glossed past the "complex issues". I was troubled when he spoke of a baby's first cry, knowing his history of steadfast support of the abortion industry, and the refusal to protect infants born alive in abortion. Your thread is excellent. Prayer for conversion of hearts is so important. God bless.
Dec 19th 2012 new

Confession...... I said that his words were "moving", but I myself wasn't moved. I am trying also to not be cynical, but listening to a person who's actions speak louder than words for this long is trying. And another confession..... I just realized I actually haven't prayed for him yet!! So I am going to do just that on my way to work this morning. biggrin

Speaking of prayer... the person I have been remembering is the father and the brother of the killer. I can't imagine what they are going through. Horrible.

Dec 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Katherine-137883 said: Confession...... I said that his words were "moving", but I myself wasn't moved...
(Quote) Katherine-137883 said:

Confession...... I said that his words were "moving", but I myself wasn't moved. I am trying also to not be cynical, but listening to a person who's actions speak louder than words for this long is trying. And another confession..... I just realized I actually haven't prayed for him yet!! So I am going to do just that on my way to work this morning.

Speaking of prayer... the person I have been remembering is the father and the brother of the killer. I can't imagine what they are going through. Horrible.

--hide--
He has a good speech writer, and he uses a teleprompter, I will agree he needs our prayers,but, I never believe a word he says anymore. He has told to many lies and had to many bad decisions so far. God, please change this man and help him. Praying

Posts 1 - 10 of 11