Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

12/18/2012 new

Beauty is from the Lord. Long hair is always beautiful if kept and managed. But if long hair makes one look frumpy or unnatractive, cut it off and wear a short style that makes your face look its best. We should celebrate how God made us and enjoy looking youthful by taking care of our bodies and appearance. That does not mean you are wearing clothing from the preteen section or are trying to look younger if you are afraid of the aging process. If you look younger than your age, then it is a blessing!

12/18/2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: A few years ago, wqhen I found out about all the cheating on me my then-husband did...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

A few years ago, wqhen I found out about all the cheating on me my then-husband did all throughout our marriage, and his attraction to very young girls, he told me if I cut my hair short he would divorce me -- so I did. Unfortunately it didn't work and it took me catching him in the act again and tossing him out to get the divorce rolling. So, yeah, I can see how many guys go for long hair, but I don't want the length of my hair to be the make it or break it deciding factor. So, back to asking what ideas for me you can give, looking at my pics.

--hide--

hope you dont mind my two cents .. I prefer longer hair because i think it makes a woman look more womanly. Short hair makes girls look more boyish in my Op.. but i have some women that just look great with short hair also. Since you're single...i would def recommend trying to find a way to keep it longer..maybe a ponytail or something? biggrin

12/18/2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: You have gorgeous eyes! And according to your pictures, you can pull off shorter hair very ...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

You have gorgeous eyes! And according to your pictures, you can pull off shorter hair very well. I would either promote the curl/wave that you already have with layers and curl enhancer, or try to go sleek with something like Biosilk and a straightener.

Cat

--hide--

Oh, thank you for the compliment, Cat! I have tried the straightener route but my hair unstraightens within an hour no matter what, even without humidity! It truly has a mind of it's own! I'm thinking about the layers -- but wonder how it will then be contained when I have to have it up for work???

12/19/2012 new

Rachael,

I looked at your profile and you can wear your hair either way, but I would go for the longer look, (short, you look younger and cute if that's the look you want). Forget what your husband did all those years ago. It's REALLY IS HIM and his problems and not you. I went through the same thing myself and yes I had very long hair that I got comments on from men. Some even inappropriate so I frequently started wearing it up in a French twist and eventually cut it short. Men definitely have a thing about long hair. Maybe we should go back to wearing veils. laughing

wave

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: A few years ago, wqhen I found out about all the cheating on me my then-husband did...

A few years ago, wqhen I found out about all the cheating on me my then-husband did all throughout our marriage, and his attraction to very young girls, he told me if I cut my hair short he would divorce me -- so I did. Unfortunately it didn't work and it took me catching him in the act again and tossing him out to get the divorce rolling. So, yeah, I can see how many guys go for long hair, but I don't want the length of my hair to be the make it or break it deciding factor. So, back to asking what ideas for me you can give, looking at my pics.

--hide--
I recently met a gentleman (in his early to mid sixties?) at the Holy Angels Church Christmas fair who was selling his photos (seascapes). He commented on my hair at least 3 times -- saying I had nice, pretty hair. It could have been a pitch to get me to buy his photos, or he possibly could have been sincere. Nevertheless, I thanked him and bought 2 photos I really liked. Going on my hairdresser's advice, I keep it close to shoulder length since this style allows me to dry it in a little less than a half hour, and on hot humid days I gel it and severely pull back and up in a clip. I have curly hair and I opt to blow out the curls. Dying curly hair makes the hair coarser and kills the natural shine. I think women with small heart shaped faces look great in the pixie look regardless of age. I hope this bit of advice helps you out.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I'm wondering what to do with my hair and open to ideas! I had straight hair until my 20'...

I'm wondering what to do with my hair and open to ideas! I had straight hair until my 20's and then it became progressively curlier. I used to always have it short -- I was always in the pool swimming laps or on the road running and training so it was easier. Now it's getting long and so curly! I don't know what to do with it. I want to not spend a long time fixing it each day but I want to look nice. Many people say once you are 40 you have to go short. I like it long but must pull it up and restrain it for work, which on some days it difficult -- it has a mind of it's own and likes to be free and 'wild' sometimes. What do you think about hair styles that are attractive on the over 40 woman? Anyone what to (gently) give me suggestions? I guess you have to creep on my profile to see me better, though. Who else has curly hair and what do you do? Thank you!!

--hide--

i haven't yet read the other responses, but I know the answer for me - supported by style consultantss I know who are over 40: on a 40-plus woman, long hair is fine provided it's neat and regularly trimmed, whether curly or straight. My "magic" length is just below the shoulders now otherwise it gets too messy and stringy (I had curly hair but now it doesn't know what to do). Go as long sa your want as long as it looks good, cut it shorter (but not necessarily short) when it needs it. Hope that helps.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: i haven't yet read the other responses, but I know the answer for me - support...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

i haven't yet read the other responses, but I know the answer for me - supported by style consultantss I know who are over 40: on a 40-plus woman, long hair is fine provided it's neat and regularly trimmed, whether curly or straight. My "magic" length is just below the shoulders now otherwise it gets too messy and stringy (I had curly hair but now it doesn't know what to do). Go as long sa your want as long as it looks good, cut it shorter (but not necessarily short) when it needs it. Hope that helps.

--hide--

Wow... I really should finish my coffee before answering... typos typos everywhere. Please do your best to decipher...

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I would grow out the bangs, get something that is long chin length (long bob), and with a fringe type...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I would grow out the bangs, get something that is long chin length (long bob), and with a fringe type bang, off to one side, side part, and a cut that is layered that goes with your waves.

--hide--

I looked at your pics Rachel and I prefer you with longer hair, though a slightly more modern style would work better. The style mentioned by Pat would be good, but I would make the bob go to past shoulder length with longer, side-swept bangs (instead of cut straight across as you have in the photos). I hope you don't mind the straight-forwardness of my opinion.

Talking hair: in my adult life, I have had close to waist-long, wavy hair, I have had pixie cuts, and many lengths in between, curlier or just wavy. I have had dark brown, chestnut brown (my natural color) and even red hair (very short-lived b/c too high maintenance). In 2001, I shaved my head bald (from really long hair) for a children's cancer fundraiser. The funny thing is that while I know men tend to prefer longer hair, especially traditional men, I have had many men compliment me with short or no hair too. Obviously the no-hair thing was temporary and for another purpose, so the compliment was likely to encourage the "good work" that I did. I wore hats a lot not b/c I was embarrassed to be bald but b/c my head was so cold. Something I found funny when about to go bald, was that we were raising money for the charity and the more money I raised, the more inches I would lose off my head. It was about $2000 to go bald. One man actually donated money for me to KEEP my hair but more donated for me to lose it. When I finally had my head shaved, he was a little shy and seemed a bit sad, but his friends convinced to rub my head for good luck (don't know where that tradition started, but I have heard of it before). He then told me I looked good bald but he hoped my hair would grow back. The thing I learned from this experience is that we sometimes place too much emphasis on physical appearance, and that is not the most important quality in a person. Some people don't get to choose what their hair looks like (cancer patients for example) so we should be grateful when we can do that.

12/19/2012 new

Two comments: one on your hair and one on your profile photo....Since you have beautiful, curly dark hair, I would consider a shoulder length bob with out bangs. With curly hair it will probably have to be cut a few inches longer than your intended length because it will shorten up with the curls. Your hair could be texturized and layered a bit but with an overall shoulder length appearance. Having no bangs will also show more of your pretty face.

I would also update your profile picture to reflect the beautiful woman that you are. Your scrapbook photos #3, 4 and 5 could be cropped and possibly used as a profile photo. I especially like the one of you looking at your daughter because of the lighting (and also because you look so proud of her) but this is not one where you are looking directly at the camera....the point about that photo is the lighting is very complimentary. But perhaps someone can take another picture of you while you are facing the camera (with good lighting). Maybe as soon as you get your new
"Do"??? Let us all know when you post a photo with your new style!

Just a couple thoughts.....good luck on whatever you decide. hug

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Ok -- I added a few pics of me in the last 3 years with my hair at different lengths -- none w/ ...

Ok -- I added a few pics of me in the last 3 years with my hair at different lengths -- none w/ me 'fancied up with a makeover' since I don't do much make-up and these were all impromptu -- no one takes pics of me w/ all these beautiful kids of mine around! Thoughts now?

--hide--
wave Rachel, I just took a look at your scrapbook, and first of all, you have a delightful family, and your sons and daughters are gorgeous, like their mama!!

I agree, you look good with both short and long hair, lucky you! I agree with Pat that shoulder length hair is the most versatile, and can be made into many styles--up, down, half pulled back, curly or straight.That's how I have my hair now, and I've done everything from short to long, (but not bald!). wink

Most importantly, I would recommend that you change your profile photo to one of the other shots that has better lighting. Your current photo is dark, and doesn't show off your beautiful eyes, hair, skin, and smile. hug

Posts 31 - 40 of 84