Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Thou shall not kill...

Dec 18th 2012 new

I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to firearms. So for those CMers that own or have access to guns, how important is that to you? If you are being assaulted, will you actually shoot (and perhaps kill) the assaulter in self-defence bearing in mind that one of the commandments of God is "Thou shall not kill"?

I don't own a gun and I don't need one.

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said: I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to fire...
(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said:

I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to firearms. So for those CMers that own or have access to guns, how important is that to you? If you are being assaulted, will you actually shoot (and perhaps kill) the assaulter in self-defence bearing in mind that one of the commandments of God is "Thou shall not kill"?

--hide--

Good Topic Lizzy.

I own a store been contemplating getting a CCW. Would I use it to defend my staff and myself....I think so . But the thought of the gun falling into the wrong hands is what I cant handle.

Dec 18th 2012 new

Your interpretation of the Commandment goes far beyond its true meaning. To take the life of another in legitimate self-defense, in defense of the life of another, or by legitimate accident not caused through neglicence is not a Mortal sin.

Yes, I own a gun. If confronted in a manner that places my life in legitimate danger I will use it to defend myself, but only under that circumstance (i.e. when a gun is pointed at me), or in a circumstance where it becomes necessary to defend the life of my neighbor.

And if, God forbid, I kill the perpetrator in legitimate self-defense I will do so without regret, but rather gratuity that I was able to properly protect either that perpetrator's intended victim, or myself.

theheart

Dec 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said: I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to fire...

--hide--
I can't imagine even the most vociferous opponent of the right to own a gun passively allowing him/herself or their family to be assaulted or killed by an armed intruder. It's a natural instinct to protect loved ones, and I don't think the Man Upstairs expects otherwise. The problem, as with almost anything controversial is intransigence, from both the left and right. Whether or not I am a gun owner is no one's concern but mine, and I recommend anyone commenting in a public forum to pass on answering that question.

I would like to see the President appoint a panel to seriously discuss this matter, and ultimately make recommendations to him. No elected official should be on the panel, because of their reelection concerns (lobbies). It should include citizens from across the country and political spectrum, from every community, urban and rural.

On Friday, the NRA is holding a press conference- we'll see. Thanks for posting this, Lizzie.

Dec 19th 2012 new

--hide--

Every speaker of Hebrew I have talked to about the subject has stated that the commandment in question is actually "Thou shall not murder" (emphasis added).

To answer your question, I don't think I'd have a problem shooting.

Dec 19th 2012 new

We live where there are bobcats, rattlesnakes, and various other fauna that won't mind biting you. Weaponry of some sort is sometimes necessary, home invasion is less a concern for me than animals that want me for dinner. I remember a frantic call to the sheriff's office because a rattlesnake had gotten in my garage.

I don't personally own a gun right now. However, I have taken my education classes for gun safety, know how they work, and I expect I'd be reasonably comfortably using one if I needed to. The coyotes and wild dogs around here are actually making me carefully consider this. I am not great with a bow, and they are slow to load. There are hunting practices here I frown on greatly (deer feeders, game cameras) although I understand their efficiency. That just doesn't seem fair; besides, if you're going to go to all that effort, just raise an animal for slaughter. Cows, emus, whatever. Hunting, however, never seems to be an issue.

Do I want a gun? Not particularly. Do I want the right to a gun? Absolutely. There's a difference. Slight, but there. (Blame my constitutional law professor, he had us argue over rulings and interpretations on 2nd amendment a lot.)

Dec 19th 2012 new

I have access to a gun - granted its older than the hills, so I guess I get an opportunity to answer to. I live with two old people - dying isn't a big deal for them anymore. And I have a few people waiting for me in heaven - so I hope to just use my brain, not a gun.

I've been trapped in an elevator with 3 intimidating individuals - going up 40+ floors. I can tell you I respectfully refrained from interacting and looked at the elevator door. If I had a gun or if I had said anything - I think it more likely would have caused a problem not a solution.

I also think of my brother-in-law's mother, a man with a knife came into her kitchen, she's in her 80s. The guy says 'what are you going to give me?' She says, 'I can give you a loaf of bread.' He says 'Aren't you scared.' She says, 'no, the good Lord will take care of me.' He says, 'What am I going to do with a loaf of bread, I can get that at Catholic Charities.'. She gives him the '$1.00 she has in the sugar bowl in the cupboard, that's all I have.' And he leaves.

Or I think of a friend's daughter who on getting money from a cash machine is followed to her home. And one was coming up to her window but she leaves in her car and never gets out.

In most everyone one of these instances, the gun just would not have helped. The best thing is often to not panic and use your head. Many times, a gun would just introduce a weapon into a situation that you now must protect too.

Police is appreciated and necessary.

I'm sure you must have stories from out east where it is much more populated. I'm surrounded by fields now and more afraid of lyme disease coming in a few years.

Dec 19th 2012 new

Welcome to the forums Lizzy. Thanks for posting the question.

Dec 19th 2012 new

--hide--

The Commandment is more accurately understood as "Thou shalt not murder."

Dec 19th 2012 new
(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said: I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to firearms. So for t...

--hide--

The Church has never held that the 5th Commandment applies to a death that results from legitimate self-defense.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12