Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 26th 2013 new
(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said: I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to firearms. So for t...
(Quote) Lizzy-619825 said:

I have read the various topics related to the Newtown massacre and the posts about access to firearms. So for those CMers that own or have access to guns, how important is that to you? If you are being assaulted, will you actually shoot (and perhaps kill) the assaulter in self-defence bearing in mind that one of the commandments of God is "Thou shall not kill"?

I don't own a gun and I don't need one.

--hide--

THOU SHALL NOT KILL, YES. THERE IS A RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE.
Mar 26th 2013 new
(Quote) John-336509 said: Every speaker of Hebrew I have talked to about the subject has stated that the commandment in qu...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Every speaker of Hebrew I have talked to about the subject has stated that the commandment in question is actually "Thou shall not murder" (emphasis added).

To answer your question, I don't think I'd have a problem shooting.

--hide--
"You Shall Not Kill," or "You Shall Not Murder?": The Assault on a Biblical Text by Wilma A. Bailey

"Nearly all English translations of the Bible during the last third of the twentieth century have changed the wording of the sixth commandment from "kill" to "murder." The Hebrew word that appears in the commandment has a broader semantic range than "murder." Wilma Ann Bailey discusses why the Protestant and Jewish traditions changed the wording and why the Roman Catholic tradition did not."

search.barnesandnoble.com
Posts 11 - 12 of 12