Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: excuse me but are we all not Catholic here? homosexual acts are unnatural and forbidden and sinf...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

excuse me but are we all not Catholic here? homosexual acts are unnatural and forbidden and sinful. promoting their marriage is wrong. there is nothing homophobic about not wanting another's sin thrown in our faces. those with attraction to the same sex are not to be mistreated or bullied, but we as Catholics are not to call their 'in your face' blatant homosexual displays romantic or ok. love the sinner but hate the sin. you seem to have been won over by the homosexual adgenda that the rules are to be rewritten. and from there, it will lead to ok-ing 'marriage' of more than 2 people to each other, 'marriage' of adults and children, etc

--hide--
Thanks, Rachel. Well said. clap clap clap

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) John-711000 said: http://news.yahoo.com/gay-marine-proposes-boyfriend-white-house-222137561--abc-news-politics.html<...
(Quote) John-711000 said:

news.yahoo.com

--hide--
Wow! This one is fully loaded... Thanks for posting it.

Dec 30th 2012 new
This thread is very heartening to me to hear people postively assert that homosexuality is wrong but I think that there are two more points that cannot be over-stressed. The first is that as Catholics we are called to love all people and never to judge another person. As christian people we must extend a loving hand and word to homosexuals including telling them why homosexuality is wrong and encouraging them to genuinely come to closer to God, but always with the gentleness and love that Christ would show. The second point is that we need to pray constantly for young people who are being misled and for God to grant them wisdom and knowledge in this area. Young people are bombarded by messages telling them that homosexuals are the victims of discrimination who need to be protected from an old fashioned Church and this message is appealling to them as they feel that gay people are born that way and have no choice in the matter. What they fail to see is that the Church is not saying this is wrong because it has deliberated over the matter and come a decision. No! The Church has this teaching for ONE reason only: Because GOD says so. Even if you born gay Jesus clearly said "If your right hand causes you sin, cut it off..." Being born gay does not mean it is OK to practice homosexuality.

Please whatever the generation gap between us and younger people let us bridge the communication / faith gap to help them see the truth.
Dec 30th 2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have heard that in a few cases the school districts have managed to keep that stuff to a minimum by e...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I have heard that in a few cases the school districts have managed to keep that stuff to a minimum by either voting it out or setting it aside more... or by teachers leaving it out one by one... I think some people are trying to fight it by not complying with it.. I live in a very conservative area of California.

--hide--

Careful, my California city was once considered a conservative area of California as well as Riverside county to the east, but that is no longer true here. I have seen "pride" posters in classrooms where the children are too young to young to know about the birds and the bees at all.
Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have heard that in a few cases the scho...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I have heard that in a few cases the school districts have managed to keep that stuff to a minimum by either voting it out or setting it aside more... or by teachers leaving it out one by one... I think some people are trying to fight it by not complying with it.. I live in a very conservative area of California.

Careful, my California city was once considered a conservative area of California as well as Riverside county to the east, but that is no longer true here. I have seen "pride" posters in classrooms where the children are too young to young to know about the birds and the bees at all.
--hide--

I know what you are thinking but San Diego is a hotbed of gay males. I know this from personal experience. There is a very active enclave.
I have decided I have to be careful what I write on this topic as it is very controversial and I don't want to get caught in any sort of controversy on this. I had a post removed yesterday because it was too disturbing in several ways. This part of CA does seem more conservative due to many Evangelicals- but who knows.

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Nilda-834707 said: (Quote) John-711000 said: Good point, I think what they (both pol...
(Quote) Nilda-834707 said:

Quote:
John-711000 said:

Good point, I think what they (both political parties) really want is to legalize Pedophilia.

A sneaky way to push population control down our throats. Heaven help us!

--hide--

That is how I see it Nilda.

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Barbara-929536 said: This thread is very heartening to me to hear people postively assert that homosexuality is wrong but I...
(Quote) Barbara-929536 said: This thread is very heartening to me to hear people postively assert that homosexuality is wrong but I think that there are two more points that cannot be over-stressed. The first is that as Catholics we are called to love all people and never to judge another person. As christian people we must extend a loving hand and word to homosexuals including telling them why homosexuality is wrong and encouraging them to genuinely come to closer to God, but always with the gentleness and love that Christ would show. The second point is that we need to pray constantly for young people who are being misled and for God to grant them wisdom and knowledge in this area. Young people are bombarded by messages telling them that homosexuals are the victims of discrimination who need to be protected from an old fashioned Church and this message is appealling to them as they feel that gay people are born that way and have no choice in the matter. What they fail to see is that the Church is not saying this is wrong because it has deliberated over the matter and come a decision. No! The Church has this teaching for ONE reason only: Because GOD says so. Even if you born gay Jesus clearly said "If your right hand causes you sin, cut it off..." Being born gay does not mean it is OK to practice homosexuality.

Please whatever the generation gap between us and younger people let us bridge the communication / faith gap to help them see the truth.
--hide--

Also, as I've heard pointed out, we should never allow ourselves to think those with same sex attraction are forever set in this though it seems deeply rooted. God is able to heal, and even with the struggle for chastity you are never in the same place forever, and deeper friendship becomes possible than before.

Many people, perhaps more than we think, struggle with this and need our prayers.

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am not sure why you stated that I was being sarcastic. I stated that Sara made a ver...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I am not sure why you stated that I was being sarcastic. I stated that Sara made a very clear statement about
Romantic love, and John asked her to elaborate or explain. I did not thin that was necessary.

If Sara feels that way, and she stated clearly that she does, there is no need to ask her to explain. She is
entitled to posting her opinion.

This whole topic of gay men and gay women is very complex. A murderer is a murderer, in the eyes of God and
in the eyes of the law. To not be a murderer, that person would have to just not commit murder.
Every day of his life before the murder was not clouded or confused by his title of "murderer."

As far as same-sex attraction, just the concept of appreciating the same sex, possibly from very early on in their
lives, makes them abnormal or freakish or not part of the same human race that straight people are.
Whatever the cause of their same sex attraction, and there is much speculation, being gay clouds
their whole existence.

Yes, there are plenty of biblical references against committing acts regarding same-sex interaction. And that is what
this forum is full of. But what guides and sustains that person through his or her life with the confusion and feelings
of being different, and the why's of how they were made, and the greatest loss they have from the inability to participate
in a family life the way most of the population is able.

All the church laws printed on these pages or any other pages do not address these complexities. Many gays never
commit any acts that are forbidden by church laws or God's laws, but they are still subject to denigration by society.

Just to be clear, I don't like this whole gay-rights movement, as a matter of fact, it sickens me. My years of art school
and being around gay men particularly, have given me a bitter taste for the attitudes of the flamboyant gays and
especially their overt hatred of women.

As far as same-sex marriage, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, yet I do think gays should
have all the legal rights which are similar to those that come with marriage. The gays I know personally, both men and women,
are very sincere and good people. I am sure, if they had a choice, they would perfer to be straight. These people are
the sons and daughters, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, and sisters and brothers and friends of many of us.
We should not deny them privileges. They are our loved ones, whether they are gay or not.

As I said, this is a very complex issue. And the only issue addressed by the church, is if they commit certain acts, which
criminalize them. Being gay has lots of challenges, and those challenges are underestimated by those of us who are not gay.

So, Elizabeth, you are, for the most part, correct about my postings. Thank you for your interjections.

--hide--

Marianne, I figured you had friends who were homosexuals.. I have a second cousin who is an out of the closet lesbian. She was a tomboy when she was young. I'm not sure but my other cousin told me that she was molested. I don't know at what age, or, if that is true. But when she came out in the open her mother who was always joking and happy turned into the most miserable person on the earth.

Her father is a very liberal man. When I came to visit them her girlfriend came over. Her father ws crying in my prescence. For whatever reasons he allowed the two of them to sleep together under his roof. I guess he thought it was only fair since he allowed his sons to do the same thing a long as they got married.

I would not hesitate to tell her what she is doing is wrong, but I never had the chance. At my cousins wedding her girlfriend came up to me but I ignored her. I also spoke out against it to her brother, I told him not to support her in any way. It is a bit shameful for a family to admit that their child is wrong, so most families go along with it because they still love their child.

This is called misdirected love. It is misdirected because the love that they direct has no principle.

In the eyes of the church we have no choice but to speak against sin. Love the person but hate the sin is a better path, this is what I believed all along. Laws are now being passed to prevent anyone from trying to guide a homosexual person out of that lifestyle. So, when someone says that they should have rights.. we are supporting them instead of guiding them back to their destiny that God intended for them.

Dec 31st 2012 new
John, what you've written here is correct but to address this issue we need to be consistent in our opposition to sin. Homosexuality is a sin committed by gay people, but what about sins committed by straight people: abortion, adultery and contraception. I think that although we know that these things are wrong, they have become so commonplace that we no longer speak out against them in our everyday lives with people that we know, so then, when we speak out against homosexuality it looks discriminatory. This thought has made me re-assess my own tolerance levels of sin. Hopefully, if I am known to abhor any sort of sin my view on homosexuality will simply be consistent with my life view.

Hope that makes sense.
Peace Barbara
Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Barbara-929536 said: John, what you've written here is correct but to address this issue we need to be consistent in ou...
(Quote) Barbara-929536 said: John, what you've written here is correct but to address this issue we need to be consistent in our opposition to sin. Homosexuality is a sin committed by gay people, but what about sins committed by straight people: abortion, adultery and contraception. I think that although we know that these things are wrong, they have become so commonplace that we no longer speak out against them in our everyday lives with people that we know, so then, when we speak out against homosexuality it looks discriminatory. This thought has made me re-assess my own tolerance levels of sin. Hopefully, if I am known to abhor any sort of sin my view on homosexuality will simply be consistent with my life view.

Hope that makes sense.
Peace Barbara
--hide--

One person that has helped me make sense of this is Orthodox speaker Frederica Matthewes Greene, who has a couple of radio broadcasts on the subject and particularly on the spiritual fruits of those with same sex attraction that seek to be loyal to the teaching of the Church in this. The episodes are entitled "Gay Rights" (Nov 9, 2011) and "Gay Rights 2" (March 01, 2012)

ancientfaith.com

Posts 121 - 130 of 145