Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

12/21/2012 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and going through and rereading the bookshelf again I am wondering... what have you read lately that you wanted to share with someone or that you just thought was a good book? I'm looking for something new, but old is sometimes new too. Lemme know

--hide--

I heartbeat reading romance novels, preferably Christian Romance. Here's some good ones I love:

O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson - (7 books) Contemporary Christian Suspense/Mystery/Romance

A Very Special Delivery by Linda Goodnight - Christian Contemporary Romance

Summer on the Mountain by Rosemarie Naramore - Contemporary Romance

Coveted Bride by Regina Tittel - Christian Contemporary Romance (Series of books, not the 1st though I haven't read the others she's written)

A Wedding Story by Dee Tenorio - (Novella) Contemporary Comedy Romance (I don't suggest this author for any other books though, her website looks like she mostly writes graphic sexual books. I found this cute one of hers on Amazon though)

Cat's Craddle by Shannon Donnelly - (Novella) Historical Romance

Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart - Historical Romance

The Maid of Fairborne Hall by Julie Klassen - Historical Romance

Do you have a Kindle? If you do, you can find a TON of books for free on their website, all genres. That's where I find all of mine now. flower

12/21/2012 new

^Dee Henderson is an amazing writer. I also enjoy reading books by Iris Johansen, Lisa Scottoline, and JRR Tolkien. If you like really light mysteries Joanne Fluke and Diane Mott Davidson are entertaining.

12/21/2012 new

I just started reading Captivating, Unveiling The Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John & Stasi Eldredge. I have it on my Nook and can share it if anyone is interested. Someone in another forum recommended it so I am excited to have something to read over the holiday.

12/21/2012 new
thumbsup AWESOME book!
12/21/2012 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and going through and rereading the bookshelf again I am wondering... what have you read lately that you wanted to share with someone or that you just thought was a good book? I'm looking for something new, but old is sometimes new too. Lemme know

--hide--

I flip through a book of many different short stories, poetry, and prose, all about Christmas ... it's very enjoyable!

fluffy snowman fluffy snowman fluffy snowman fluffy snowman fluffy

12/21/2012 new

Partway through "The Patient In Room Nine Says He's God" by Louis M. Profeta, MD.

It's a shorter read, 180 pages, each chapter is a different story. It will make you laugh AND cry. It's full of personal experiences with people of all faiths, and how our actions intertwine often, many times spanning several generations. And how sometimes our smallest efforts can have the biggest impacts.

Louis is an ER Doctor here in Indy, a very nice Jewish man, and a personal friend. It was published in 2010 and took me this long to finally get around to opening it. Now I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. (Saw him 2 days ago and admitted to him I was FINALLY enjoying it. rolling eyes He shared with me the names of a few mutual acquaintances that are referred to in the book - kinda cool.)

12/21/2012 new

I'm looking for reading inspiration, too. Here's what jumped out as I scanned my shelves:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (www.goodreads.com ) It's a very provacative and somewhat disturbing read if you like dystopian fiction (one of my favorite genres, so I really enjoyed it).

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (www.goodreads.com ) This is a must read for science fiction fans.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (www.goodreads.com ) - fictional (though somewhat autobiographical) account of two young men in a rural village in China during the Cultural Revolution

12/21/2012 new

Yay, we get to talk about books! Yes, I agree, the Enders series by Orson Scott Card is just phenomenal. I read the books within the last two years after someone on Catholic Match had recommended them. The Enders books fall into the science fiction category, but they are somewhat spiritual, too. One of the books treats a Catholic nun quite sympathetically. Another excellent science fiction book that I completed abt 6 wks ago is "A Canticle for Leibowitz," by Walter Miller Jr., which was published in the 1950s and is an absolute classic. It mixes the Catholic faith includg Latin with a nuclear war and plays out over thousands of years, which allows big themes to play out. Just fascinating. C.S. Lewis wrote 3 science fiction books that were also spiritual; they are worth reading. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein were in a weekly writers' group -- and produced significant writing.

Over my Christmas break, I intend to start reading a nonfiction book that I just ordered yesterday, "My name is Chellis and I'm Recoverg from Western Civilatization." This 1994 book is abt reconnectg to the earth, our food sources and was recommended to me. I'm lookg forward to it.

12/21/2012 new

rose Scattered Raindrops: Reflections on the Word by Deacon Bill Rich

12/21/2012 new

An engrossing read is the novel “Obedience” by Jacqueline Yallop. The story centres on a nun and her complex relationship with a Nazi soldier in the Second World War. It looks at the aftermath of the relationship and how the nun struggles to be faithful to her vows.

Posts 11 - 20 of 93