Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dec 22nd 2012 new

laughing OK OK. You like TastyKakes, knock yourself out!!

Dec 22nd 2012 new

Jessica,

This is a nice respite from some of the recent threads.

Generally speaking, I love non-fiction.

At the moment, I am reading three different religious books:

(1) To Heaven and Back by Dr. Mary C. Neal; she shares her account of her death, heaven, angels and life again. Based on a true story.

(2) 21 Ways to Worship - by Vinny Flynn; a guide to Eucharistic Adoration; I have read other similar books but for my spiritual journey, this one is by far the best.

(3) 7 Secrets of the Eucharist - another one by Vinny Flynn; he explains in everyday layman terms that if we don't have the proper mindset, our mere reception of the Eucharist may be nothing more than going through the motions.

In 2013, I want to reread the Diary of St. Faustina.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Kristin-361617 said: I just started reading "Life of Pi"...Even though the movie came out, I want to read ...
(Quote) Kristin-361617 said:

I just started reading "Life of Pi"...Even though the movie came out, I want to read the book first....

--hide--
Tht's a good book. I read an edition with discussion questions included. The questions gave more depth to my thoughts abt the book.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: I've got a whole pile of stuff here that keeps losing the battle to TV and internet. But, the ...
(Quote) John-132457 said:

I've got a whole pile of stuff here that keeps losing the battle to TV and internet. But, the last couple I finished were:

Truck: A Love Story, by Michael Perry
www.amazon.com

Homespun non-fiction. A friend said it reminded her of me.

In the Heart of the Sea, by Nathaniel Philbrick

www.amazon.com

A little gruesome at points.

--hide--
Love Nathaniel Philbrick....haven't read that one yet, though....will have to check it out.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

Sooo I've run out of things to read recently, and for fear of growing tired of my books and going through and rereading the bookshelf again I am wondering... what have you read lately that you wanted to share with someone or that you just thought was a good book? I'm looking for something new, but old is sometimes new too. Lemme know

--hide--

I just finished a really interesting fiction novel called "A Thread of Grace" by Mary Doria Russell about the Jewish Refugees and Italian resistance to the Germans during World War II...great character development but language can be a little raw if that's something you tend to avoid.

I'm also partway through "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot a nonfiction book about the HeLo cell lines that have been used for cancer research and the woman they came from in the 1930s. Also delves into issues of race, medicine and ethics in those days. So far very interesting!

I've seen some great suggestions on this thread so far, I'll have to add them to my To-Read list :)

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jessica,This is a nice respite from some of the recent threads. Generally spea...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jessica,

This is a nice respite from some of the recent threads.

Generally speaking, I love non-fiction.

At the moment, I am reading three different religious books:

(1) To Heaven and Back by Dr. Mary C. Neal; she shares her account of her death, heaven, angels and life again. Based on a true story.

(2) 21 Ways to Worship - by Vinny Flynn; a guide to Eucharistic Adoration; I have read other similar books but for my spiritual journey, this one is by far the best.

(3) 7 Secrets of the Eucharist - another one by Vinny Flynn; he explains in everyday layman terms that if we don't have the proper mindset, our mere reception of the Eucharist may be nothing more than going through the motions.

In 2013, I want to reread the Diary of St. Faustina.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
Haven't read any of Vinnie Flynn's...will have to check those out, they sound great! St. Faustina...amazing!

Dec 22nd 2012 new
I'm reading a biography that was written about a great-great-several greats uncle of mine. He was a Catholic priest who became an Army Chaplain during the Indian wars. The title is "The Amazing Father Lindesmith: Chaplain in Indian Country". Almost finished reading the book. It's also helpful in filling in some gaps in the family tree.
Dec 22nd 2012 new

The Dictionary of the Khazars is an excellent book. Quite literally the most unusual book I've ever read. I can't explain why, you just have to pick it up and read it.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: not sure if you'd like them. they're a few rungs below hostess baked goods.<...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

not sure if you'd like them. they're a few rungs below hostess baked goods.

--hide--

laughing Oh, I'll pass then... Not a huge fan of Hostess. They're okay, though.

Dec 22nd 2012 new
Well after watching sherlock holms the other night, i got out my complete Fr Brown by Chesterson again. Also reading several books I got myself as a treat on various hobbies i have including homesteading, woodworking, beekeeping and cooking. Oh yeah and a 99 cent searchable Summa for my PC.
Posts 31 - 40 of 93