Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: Hi Jessica! After seeing the new Lincoln movie, I was really inspired to get to know h...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

Hi Jessica!

After seeing the new Lincoln movie, I was really inspired to get to know him a bit! I just finished Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln." An awesome read... and I don't venture far outside the bounds of theological texts when in the non-fiction arena!

--hide--

The Lincoln movie was based on Team of Rivals. Having worked in politics, I think that book suggested more harmony than there actually was...but it was a good book.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

This isn't a book. It's an online Bible study by Scott Hahn. Great reading!!! I get together about once a week and share it with another CM member. It's been a wonderful experience! biggrin

www.salvationhistory.com

Dec 22nd 2012 new

I have been reading the History of Twilight. It seems the books parallel great literary works such as Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Such trajic romance like in Romeo and Juliette. I enjoyed the movies so much and was so surprised at liking them. I do not like violent movies full of gore, so I was pleasantly surprised at the beauty in them. I am about to begin on reading the books after learning about how Stephanie Meyer may have pulled together the story. Forks, WA would be an interesting place to visit, where the story takes place.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

Just finished "To Heaven and Back" by Dr. Mary Neal, a true story and NY Times bestseller. She quotes 1 Thessalonians 16:18, "Rejoice always, pray ceaselessly, and be ever grateful." it has become my ever present prayer and motto!

Currently reading "The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess" by Jeff Wheelwright. Race, religion, and genetics.

Great thread here--I'm always looking for the next book to read!

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Oh, I'll pass then... Not a huge fan of Hostess. They're okay, though.
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Oh, I'll pass then... Not a huge fan of Hostess. They're okay, though.

--hide--

my son, who almost got a job with Tastykakes in what he described as "a moment of weakness" classifies their products as "industrial baked goods".

they are very popular at homeless shelters because each cake is individually wrapped. easy to transport. they are often shoplifted (presumably by potheads) for this same reason.

www.tastykake.com

Dec 23rd 2012 new
Now I'm hungry.... And an expert on something I'd never heard of until recently... ALL BECAUSE OF A TYPO! Lol
Dec 23rd 2012 new
Helen, Leon, You've inspired me now I think I want to read The Diary of St. Faustina.
Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Helen, Leon, You've inspired me now I think I want to read The Diary of St. Faustina.
(Quote) John-746882 said: Helen, Leon, You've inspired me now I think I want to read The Diary of St. Faustina.
--hide--

Yes, please do read St. Fausinta's Diary. That is a life-transforming book. You can get it on Amazon.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

Depends what you're in the mood for, but somebody mentioned the Perelandra series by C.S. Lewis - his science fiction series. They are very good. Also good (although not in the same way) is "Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith", by Scott Hahn. Favorite quote from that book so far: "Denying God's existence in order to solve the problem of evil is like...cutting off your head to stop a nosebleed."

Dec 23rd 2012 new

The other week, a quick C.S. Lewis read: A Grief Observed. My favourite takeaway quote from near the end of the book, " "If you are approaching Him not as the goal but as a road, not as the end but as a means, you're not really approaching Him at all."

Just started: Therese: Saint of a Little Way, by Frances Parkinson Keyes (1937). A bit wordy, don't know if I'll care to make it all the way through. (I recently read St Therese' Story of a Soul, thought this might be a good follow-up).

Most recently purchased, still sitting on the shelf for after the holidays: The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz, by Denis Avey (2011)

Oh, and still on the shelf, partly read and really struggling with it, Strangers and Sojourners, by Michael D. O'Brien. I loved the first three O'Brien books I read: Fr Elijah, Sophia House, and Island of the World, but this latest book (first in a series of five) is really slow, boring, and plotless.

Posts 41 - 50 of 93