Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dec 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "too many people" for a Priest to be able to serve. It's also the primary excuse those who endorse the use of Extraordinary Ministers in this manner.

--hide--

I struggle to understand why EM's were not needed in the 1950's when people were flowing into the street from churches being packed and as churches have emptied more EM's are required? I have also noticed how people receiving Holy Communion from the Holy Father receive it in the traditional reverent manner. I have never understood why the leadership of the Church post V2 permits almost anything to happen irrespective of what abuses occur in local dioceses?

I think that there is a massive over emphasis on making the modern Church and the Holy Mass "inclusive" with the ultimate result of priests behaving like lay people and lay people behaving like priests. Priests should never be looked upon as "normal men" and should be respected as servants of God.

I have found it odd that that in CM profiles you get comments like "I work in a soup kitchen, visit the sick, volunteer at a Homeless Shelter and am a Eucharistic Minister"- all good things but should lay people be handling the Bread from Heaven? The conditions for use of Extraordinary Ministers seem to be pretty clear within the guidelines (ie in extraordinary circumstances) but they are used in every Mass to make everyone feel included and important. Do the average people participating in this "ministry" know that they are participating in an abuse? I am confident that many do not.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

Victor, an ordained Deacon is also a "proper" administrator of Holy Communion.

There is no doubt that the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy communion has reached the level of ridiculousness. Some Bishops have prohibited their use in their Sees except for bringing the Eucharist to shut ins.

When there is only 1 priest and Communion is distributed under both species, it makes sense to use an authorized layperson.

Otherwise, I agree with you that the use of lay persons in this role as it as practised in the US today, is an abuse of the privilege granted by the Vatican.

There is no reason that a priest alone cannot distribute communnion to a large number of people. They did it when I was an Altar Boy so many years ago. And that was a time when there were at least two priests or more per parish.

Pre VII, once the priest performed the Consecration he kept his thumb and first fingers together except when handling the host until after he rinsed his hands after communion. It was a sign of respect. A term that seems to have disappeared from the lexicon of the Church.

(Quote) Victor-544727 said:Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "too...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:
Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "too many people" for a Priest to be able to serve. It's also the primary excuse those who endorse the use of Extraordinary Ministers in this manner.

The only proper role of the Extraordinary Minister is to fill the role of a Priest in administering the Holy Eucharist when an ordained Priest is not able or available, not to fill the role as a matter of convenience. When a Priest is present, he is the only proper administer of the Host. Anyone else who handles and/or administers the Host in the presence of a Priest commits a sacrilege, regardless of the protestations of the Church's heirarchy.

--hide--

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: When there is only 1 priest and Communion is distributed under both species, it makes sense to use...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

When there is only 1 priest and Communion is distributed under both species, it makes sense to use an authorized layperson.

--hide--

If only one ordinary minister is available, Holy Communion can be distributed under one species (the bread) or by intinction.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

I am not a fan of these, I have seen extraordinary ministers give out Holy Communion while the visiting priest were sitting, and they weren't real happy and I wasn't either.

Dec 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Victor, an ordained Deacon is also a "proper" administrator of Holy Communion. Th...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Victor, an ordained Deacon is also a "proper" administrator of Holy Communion.

There is no doubt that the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy communion has reached the level of ridiculousness. Some Bishops have prohibited their use in their Sees except for bringing the Eucharist to shut ins.

Otherwise, I agree with you that the use of lay persons in this role as it as practised in the US today, is an abuse of the privilege granted by the Vatican.

There is no reason that a priest alone cannot distribute communnion to a large number of people. They did it when I was an Altar Boy so many years ago. And that was a time when there were at least two priests or more per parish.

Pre VII, once the priest performed the Consecration he kept his thumb and first fingers together except when handling the host until after he rinsed his hands after communion. It was a sign of respect. A term that seems to have disappeared from the lexicon of the Church.

--hide--

St. Isaac Jogues, one of the North American martyrs, had several of his fingers cut and/or chewed off by the Indians the Jesuits were trying to evangelize. They specifically cut off the thumb and forefinger of the right hand because of the way he kept these two fingers together once he performed the Consecration.

St. Isaac Jogues applied for (and received) a dispensation from Pope Urban VIII to use other fingers in place of the two he had lost.

(Try telling this to a "Eucharistic Minister" today.)

Dec 22nd 2012 new

I was just asking someone about this today -- if it is so very wrong, why is it so prevalent in so many churches? I was told it is not wrong at all and it is more like veiling for women -- a matter of personal calling. How can so many good and faithful priests allow EMHE if it is so against church teaching?

Dec 22nd 2012 new
But if they are violating church directives are they good or faithful priests? How many "good" priests turn a blind eye to contraception or any number of church teachings? Many are affected by modernism, which at its core says i get to decide whats truthful. I dont blame them at least fully. Their training was horrible. But the bottom line is few say the new Liturgy correctly. Modern man doesnt see the need for a perfect liturgy. But God has always demanded our best.
Dec 22nd 2012 new

Didn't realize that as an EME I've offended so many.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I'm sure a number of CMers will answer your question. I would like to hear an explanation on ...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I'm sure a number of CMers will answer your question.

I would like to hear an explanation on why it would be considered "sinful" to handle the Body of Christ when (my understanding is) our goal is to be united with Him, and receiving Communion (correctly) means we are in a state of grace--that is, our sins are forgiven and nothing is a barrier between ourselves and God?

I'm not being sarcastic or what-have-you with my question. I simply don't understand the basis for your statement, Gabor.
--hide--
I'm wondering the same thing, Lina. Back in the 1970's, permission was granted from Rome to allow Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist, more commonly but incorrectly referred to as Eucharistic Ministers. (I think that title was instilled for the sake of brevity.) Those who are selected or volunteer to serve in this capacity are to be thankful and thanked. It's an honor and privilege to serve. Priests are men who have had had their entire beings (not just their hands) consecrated by bishops. Permission was granted not only to use "EM's", but for the laity to receive the Body of Christ in their hands. It this practice came into being because of the actions of a Pope, that should eliminate the doubt about the validity of the use of Extraordinary Ministers. To believe that this action is sinful is contrary to the Church teachings about the Eucharist.

Anyone who serves in this capacity serves the Church and fellow parishioners, and it shows a special dedication to the Eucharist, therefore making it worthy of mention in a profile. It is definitely NOT a negative factor.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: St. Isaac Jogues, one of the North American martyrs, had several of his fingers cut and...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

St. Isaac Jogues, one of the North American martyrs, had several of his fingers cut and/or chewed off by the Indians the Jesuits were trying to evangelize. They specifically cut off the thumb and forefinger of the right hand because of the way he kept these two fingers together once he performed the Consecration.

St. Isaac Jogues applied for (and received) a dispensation from Pope Urban VIII to use other fingers in place of the two he had lost.

(Try telling this to a "Eucharistic Minister" today.)

--hide--
Excuse me, William, but I don't see the connection you are trying to make. As part of the liturgy, the priest is supposed to say prayers and perform actions in a specific way. The priest is involved in the consecration of the hosts; extraordinary ministers are involved in the disiposition of consecrated hosts. There's a vast difference in their roles.

Posts 11 - 20 of 200