Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The presiding priests washes his hands.....
(Quote) John-336509 said:

The presiding priests washes his hands...but he is not joined in this by other priests who come out of the rectory to help with communion, nor by any deacons with him. So clearly the one is not a prerequisite of the other.

--hide--
John then why does he do it at all??? Just wondering ???

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: John then why does he do it at all??? Just wondering ???
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

John then why does he do it at all??? Just wondering ???

--hide--

It's part of the rubrics of the Mass; it is not to sanitize his hands (there's no soap).

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Timothy-240636 said: I, too, do not receive the Eucharist from the Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist...I also...
(Quote) Timothy-240636 said:

I, too, do not receive the Eucharist from the Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist...I also get in the priest's line.I do not feel that it is right for anyone but the priest/deacon to touch His Body with the hands. Why do priests utilize the Extraordinary Ministers when it is not necessay, when they could/should distribute Holy Communion themselves, when there are few parishioners in the Communion line? Lack of courage. Like so many things wrong with today's priests...they lack the courage to tell the Eucharistic Ministers that they alone will administer the Eucharist at a certain Mass. Many of the Eucharistic Ministers feel that it is their "right" to participate in the Mass in this way. They grow accustomed to their role, and, quite frankly, the priests grow used to having the Eucharistic Ministers distribute Holy Communion...and/or they are fearful of offending someone.

--hide--
I agree with you. In my travels, I have witnessed many strange practices during the celebration of the Mass. Makes one wonder how much should we tolerate, should we speak up to the powers that be? Or, should we just pray? Perhaps all...

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: The Swiss Guard are a bit too colorful and ornate to operate effectively as a SWAT...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

The Swiss Guard are a bit too colorful and ornate to operate effectively as a SWAT team, but then again, looks may be decieving.

--hide--

Attended a Archbishop of Bangaladesh consecration in Philadelphia,Pa at the Cathedral of Peter and Paul,There were several men walking around the Cathredral during Mass with ear head phones, A security group. No idea if they were the swiss gaurd,cia,fbI,etc decided not to ask any of them.

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: It's part of the rubrics of the Mass; it is not to sanitize his hands (there...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

It's part of the rubrics of the Mass; it is not to sanitize his hands (there's no soap).

--hide--
Thanks William, Just wondering why he does it, I always thought it was to cleanse his hands before handle the Euchrist. I can't even find it online any where. Tired of looking to.

Dec 30th 2012 new
If I remember right, Fortescue said the practice goes back to days when incense might dirty the hands and thus they needed cleaning. Ill look that up and get back to you.
Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: If I remember right, Fortescue said the practice goes back to days when incense might dirty the hands and ...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: If I remember right, Fortescue said the practice goes back to days when incense might dirty the hands and thus they needed cleaning. Ill look that up and get back to you.
--hide--

No, it represents a "spiritual" cleaning. When the priest does this he says, "Lord, wash away my iniquities and cleanse me from my sins."

Dec 30th 2012 new
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Thanks William, Just wondering why he does it, I always thought it was to cleanse his hands before handle the ...

Thanks William, Just wondering why he does it, I always thought it was to cleanse his hands before handle the Euchrist. I can't even find it online any where. Tired of looking to.

--hide--

When the priest washes his hands he quietly prays; "Lord, wash me of my iniquities... cleanse me of my sins." The act symbolizes the waters of baptism and the cleansing of sins by water...
Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: When the priest washes his hands he quietly prays; "Lord, wash me of my iniquities... cle...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said:

When the priest washes his hands he quietly prays; "Lord, wash me of my iniquities... cleanse me of my sins." The act symbolizes the waters of baptism and the cleansing of sins by water...
--hide--
Thanks, William and Therese, I should have remembered this, from the days of being and alter boy, but that was a long time ago. That total makes a lot os sense and I can almost sort od remember that. I still wonder why this is done. I mean if he does this to cleanse his soul what about the ministers??? Should there not be some prayer said to cleanse there soul maybe or maybe a blessing by the priest???

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Thanks, William and Therese, I should have remembered this, from the days of being and alter boy...

Thanks, William and Therese, I should have remembered this, from the days of being and alter boy, but that was a long time ago. That total makes a lot os sense and I can almost sort od remember that. I still wonder why this is done. I mean if he does this to cleanse his soul what about the ministers??? Should there not be some prayer said to cleanse there soul maybe or maybe a blessing by the priest???

--hide--

He's the only one performing the Consecration. Nobody else in the church (or anywhere else in the world, frankly) is doing anything that can remotely compare to a Consecration.

Posts 171 - 180 of 200