Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

12/31/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: That is a sanitary step and probably a good idea, prior to the distribution of communion....
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

That is a sanitary step and probably a good idea, prior to the distribution of communion. My parish priest often does this himself.

But if you are referring to after communion, if an EME dispensed the Hosts during Communion, they should clense their hands just like the priest, with pure water which is then disposed of directly into the ground and not the building's plumbing system.

Failure in this is another common abuse which shoukld be laid directly on the shoulders of the Pastor.

--hide--
At our cluster parish (3 Churches), ALL EME's use hand sanitizer beforehand. Afterward they take their vessels to the sacristy for washing. They wash their own hands in a special sink reserved for proper disposal into the ground -- it's not part of the main plumbing system. Because this is done in the sacristy, it's out of view.

12/31/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: At our cluster parish (3 Churches), ALL EME's use hand sanitizer beforehand. Afterward they tak...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

At our cluster parish (3 Churches), ALL EME's use hand sanitizer beforehand. Afterward they take their vessels to the sacristy for washing. They wash their own hands in a special sink reserved for proper disposal into the ground -- it's not part of the main plumbing system. Because this is done in the sacristy, it's out of view.

--hide--

At my parish they don't do any of this. They go from the pew to the altar, administer Holy Communion, and then right back to the pew. It drives me absolutely batty because I know my Pastor isn't exactly fully on-board with much of the modernism and would like as much as anyone to see a full reversion back to tradition. It makes us, as well as many others in our Archdiocese pleased to have Archbishop Chaput in charge now.

theheart

12/31/2012 new

paper bag Victor, where'd you go? It's ok, we can all still be friends! laughing

12/31/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: At our cluster parish (3 Churches), ALL EME's use hand sanitizer beforehand. Afterward they tak...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

--hide--
I specifically WATCHED the EME's today at Mass as a result of this thread. What I saw was that the EME (a woman) of the Host, went into the sacristy and washed her hands BEFORE she approached the altar. (I know because I was seated next to the door to the sacristy). The two EME's who offerred the chalice both used hand sanitizer in advance. The deacon was not at the Mass, and the church was overflowing, since this is the only Catholic church close to the ski slopes.

12/31/2012 new

I am an EME at my church and consider it an honor & privilage to do this. We all go through the required training of our diocese then more at our home parish. I always sanitize my hands before communion. If I am not serving that Sunday I would hope the EME would in turn be doing the same. My parish had a new pastor assigned this past June. He had made many changes to communion which included bring back the cup at each mass. Since the time he has been at my church there has been various meetings with EME to review the policies & guidelines of the diocese. I know there are many different views on this & respect everyones opinon. For me this is honor to do & feel very blessed to be able to be an EME.

01/02/2013 new

I have pasted below an interesting passage which quotes St Pius X. It may be considered by some to be boring and outdated but it seems like a great concept as to how to participate at Mass. I believe it is a great privilege to attend Holy Mass and participate in it.

Yet I believe Holy Mother Church calls us to something far greater. This individual in such a scenario would be "praying at Mass." St. Pius X called us to "pray the Mass." He states:

The Holy Mass is a prayer itself, even the highest prayer that exists. It is the Sacrifice, dedicated by our Redeemer at the Cross, and repeated every day on the Altar. [1] If you wish to hear mass as it should be heard, you must follow with eye, heart and mouth all that happens at the Altar. Further, you must pray with the Priest the holy words said by him in the Name of Christ and which Christ says by him. You have to associate your heart with the holy feelings which are contained in these words and in this manner you ought to follow all that happens at the Altar. When acting in this way you have prayed Holy Mass.

We find in this quote the beauty of the Mass. The Mass is not just the function of the priest and the servers at the altar. If if is that way in our parish and in our hearts, we are doing it wrong. Every person should be truly participating in the Mass. How can one expect the grace of the Eucharist to be fruitful if received by a soul that is not fully involved with the Eucharistic sacrifice?

Many people have twisted this perfectly noble concept however. To them, participation means "doing something" almost always in the vocal and emotive. People are called to clap their hands, move around, play guitars and drums, and do just about everything in the mass as lay people except consecrate the hosts themselves. Yet this was not participation to St. Pius X. For St. Pius, active participation implied an interior involvement manifested by the exterior.

01/02/2013 new

I am by no means an authority, expert, or knowledge of the Church teaching, or the mysteries of God. This is very sensitive and troublesome subject of concern to the faithful and like to contribute my thoughts.

rose Isn't it through Mary, Mother of the Church, that we received Jesus, High Priest. We are aware that we do not replace or above a priest, deacon, in our role as Extraordinary Eucharist Minister, a small role but a great privilege and honor. That is, we say, "yes" to Mary, as her servant, to her Son, in God's Holy House in any small temporary ministry called to serve.

When you think majority of times, or in most cases, a family banquet the women would do the majority of preparation, rose but the Holy Banquet, Catholic Mass, we as EME would only be in a small capacity. Isn't God delighted that Mary gave birth and said "Yes" heart.

Also, throughout Jesus ministries you see women in His presence before and after His Resurrection. Then, would Jesus not be pleased to see us as one Body, although in a small role, Jesus be smiling because of love theheart .

Jesus knows we are human and err, but love overshadows everything and in time there will be sufficient priest and deacon, the harvest is ripe.

As to offend who would it be: Mary, the Mother of Church; God the Father; God the Holy Spirit; or God the Son, they are all present in the Catholic Mass. Angels play their trumpet and sing praises. How would they judge us, that would be my greatest fear, for I am not perfect, a sinner to worship and praise God. rose

01/02/2013 new

Gabor in your last post you mentioned "People are called to clap their hands". This is another directive from a previous pope that parish priests are completely ignoring. Pope John Paul II gave a directive to avoid clapping during Mass.

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) Genie-920495 said: I am by no means an authority, expert, or knowledge of the Church teaching, or the mysterie...
(Quote) Genie-920495 said:

I am by no means an authority, expert, or knowledge of the Church teaching, or the mysteries of God. This is very sensitive and troublesome subject of concern to the faithful and like to contribute my thoughts.

Isn't it through Mary, Mother of the Church, that we received Jesus, High Priest. We are aware that we do not replace or above a priest, deacon, in our role as Extraordinary Eucharist Minister, a small role but a great privilege and honor. That is, we say, "yes" to Mary, as her servant, to her Son, in God's Holy House in any small temporary ministry called to serve.

When you think majority of times, or in most cases, a family banquet the women would do the majority of preparation, but the Holy Banquet, Catholic Mass, we as EME would only be in a small capacity. Isn't God delighted that Mary gave birth and said "Yes" .

Also, throughout Jesus ministries you see women in His presence before and after His Resurrection. Then, would Jesus not be pleased to see us as one Body, although in a small role, Jesus be smiling because of love .

Jesus knows we are human and err, but love overshadows everything and in time there will be sufficient priest and deacon, the harvest is ripe.

As to offend who would it be: Mary, the Mother of Church; God the Father; God the Holy Spirit; or God the Son, they are all present in the Catholic Mass. Angels play their trumpet and sing praises. How would they judge us, that would be my greatest fear, for I am not perfect, a sinner to worship and praise God.

--hide--

There are those who oppose the idea of Extraordinary Ministers. That is their problem.

But the main thrust of those posting here is not that but the abuse of their use which exists and exists in far too many cases.

Obviously where there is just a single priest with a large number (and I mean large numbers) of Communicants, EMHCs are necessary. If there is but a single priest and Communion is to be distributed in both forms, , they are necessary. With the shortage of priests, they are obviously necessary to reach the shut-ins.

But when the number of communicants are not overwhelming large, and only the Host is being offered, there is no need for an EMHC, and the use of one is, in that instance, a gross abuse.

In the days before the introduction of EMHCs and the banishment of altar rails from our churches, a single priest had no problem distributing communion to even a fairly large number of people without unduly lengthtening the time of the Mass.

With the silliness of the removal of the tabernacle from the main Altar area to some other location, the use of an EMCH to go to the tabernacle and remove the consecrated hosts from it and bringing them to the altar instead of the priest doing so, is a gross abuse.

EMHCs giving blessings to those who approach for a blessing, is a gross abuse. This is not even allowed under the rubrics for a priest to do, but is an abuse that has become entrenched in the US.

EMCHs dressed in an overly casual manner is a gross abuse.

These are just some of the more obvious abuses that routinely occur.

01/02/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: There are those who oppose the idea of Extraordinary Ministers. That is their problem.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

There are those who oppose the idea of Extraordinary Ministers. That is their problem.

But the main thrust of those posting here is not that but the abuse of their use which exists and exists in far too many cases.

Obviously where there is just a single priest with a large number (and I mean large numbers) of Communicants, EMHCs are necessary. If there is but a single priest and Communion is to be distributed in both forms, , they are necessary. With the shortage of priests, they are obviously necessary to reach the shut-ins.

But when the number of communicants are not overwhelming large, and only the Host is being offered, there is no need for an EMHC, and the use of one is, in that instance, a gross abuse.

In the days before the introduction of EMHCs and the banishment of altar rails from our churches, a single priest had no problem distributing communion to even a fairly large number of people without unduly lengthtening the time of the Mass.

With the silliness of the removal of the tabernacle from the main Altar area to some other location, the use of an EMCH to go to the tabernacle and remove the consecrated hosts from it and bringing them to the altar instead of the priest doing so, is a gross abuse.

EMHCs giving blessings to those who approach for a blessing, is a gross abuse. This is not even allowed under the rubrics for a priest to do, but is an abuse that has become entrenched in the US.

EMCHs dressed in an overly casual manner is a gross abuse.

These are just some of the more obvious abuses that routinely occur.

--hide--
An interesting article about blessing of children in the Communion line.... newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/.../whats-wrong-with-blessin...

Posts 181 - 190 of 200