Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: An interesting article about blessing of children in the Communion line.... newtheologicalmovement....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

An interesting article about blessing of children in the Communion line.... newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/.../whats-wrong-with-blessin...

--hide--
Another attempt to post the direct link....

newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/.../whats-wrong-with-blessin...newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/.../whats-wrong-with-blessin...

Jan 2nd 2013 new

Couldn't get the direct link but the info is there.....Interesting thoughts from a priest....

Jan 2nd 2013 new

newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com

Another last ditch effort..... newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "too many people" for a Priest to be able to serve. It's also the primary excuse those who endorse the use of Extraordinary Ministers in this manner.

The only proper role of the Extraordinary Minister is to fill the role of a Priest in administering the Holy Eucharist when an ordained Priest is not able or available, not to fill the role as a matter of convenience. When a Priest is present, he is the only proper administer of the Host. Anyone else who handles and/or administers the Host in the presence of a Priest commits a sacrilege, regardless of the protestations of the Church's heirarchy.

--hide--
What do you think about an ordained Deacon? I will receive from a deacon, but always prefer a priest.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: (Quote) Victor-544727 said: Of all the points you ...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

Quote:
Victor-544727 said:

Of all the points you made this is the only one I disagree with. There is no such thing as "too many people" for a Priest to be able to serve. It's also the primary excuse those who endorse the use of Extraordinary Ministers in this manner.

The only proper role of the Extraordinary Minister is to fill the role of a Priest in administering the Holy Eucharist when an ordained Priest is not able or available, not to fill the role as a matter of convenience. When a Priest is present, he is the only proper administer of the Host. Anyone else who handles and/or administers the Host in the presence of a Priest commits a sacrilege, regardless of the protestations of the Church's heirarchy.

Victor, there are Masses with many thousands of people attending such as at St. Peter's Basilica and other Basilicas in Rome during celebrations, WYD, and other celebrations during feast days celebrated around the world. The above post has a quote to defend this statement.

--hide--

Yes, but at WYD and Masses at St Peter's, there are always many priests and deacons present. And the Blessed Sacrament doesn't have to be distributed under both species, which doubles the number of ministers needed.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Paul-866591 said: That is a sanitary step and probably a go...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Paul-866591 said:

That is a sanitary step and probably a good idea, prior to the distribution of communion. My parish priest often does this himself.

But if you are referring to after communion, if an EME dispensed the Hosts during Communion, they should clense their hands just like the priest, with pure water which is then disposed of directly into the ground and not the building's plumbing system.

Failure in this is another common abuse which shoukld be laid directly on the shoulders of the Pastor.

At our cluster parish (3 Churches), ALL EME's use hand sanitizer beforehand. Afterward they take their vessels to the sacristy for washing. They wash their own hands in a special sink reserved for proper disposal into the ground -- it's not part of the main plumbing system. Because this is done in the sacristy, it's out of view.

--hide--
Yes, but note that the priest uses sacremental water to wash his hand and wash away his sins. There's a big difference.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I was just asking someone about this today -- if it is so very wrong, why is it so prevalent in ...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I was just asking someone about this today -- if it is so very wrong, why is it so prevalent in so many churches? I was told it is not wrong at all and it is more like veiling for women -- a matter of personal calling. How can so many good and faithful priests allow EMHE if it is so against church teaching?

--hide--

It was dissident American clergy and laity who pressed the Vatican to approve what they were already doing. Same things for "altar girls". These were given indults to appease the dissidents.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: There are those who oppose the idea of Extraordinary Ministers. That is their problem.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

There are those who oppose the idea of Extraordinary Ministers. That is their problem.

But the main thrust of those posting here is not that but the abuse of their use which exists and exists in far too many cases.

Obviously where there is just a single priest with a large number (and I mean large numbers) of Communicants, EMHCs are necessary. If there is but a single priest and Communion is to be distributed in both forms, , they are necessary. With the shortage of priests, they are obviously necessary to reach the shut-ins.

But when the number of communicants are not overwhelming large, and only the Host is being offered, there is no need for an EMHC, and the use of one is, in that instance, a gross abuse.

In the days before the introduction of EMHCs and the banishment of altar rails from our churches, a single priest had no problem distributing communion to even a fairly large number of people without unduly lengthtening the time of the Mass.

With the silliness of the removal of the tabernacle from the main Altar area to some other location, the use of an EMCH to go to the tabernacle and remove the consecrated hosts from it and bringing them to the altar instead of the priest doing so, is a gross abuse.

EMHCs giving blessings to those who approach for a blessing, is a gross abuse. This is not even allowed under the rubrics for a priest to do, but is an abuse that has become entrenched in the US.

EMCHs dressed in an overly casual manner is a gross abuse.

These are just some of the more obvious abuses that routinely occur.

--hide--

I agree! ... and...

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: I agree! ... and...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

I agree! ... and...

--hide--

I want to close this thread....

Jan 2nd 2013 new

Got it!

This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200