Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Perhaps you'd prefer the good old days when one priest distributed Communion to 200-400 people ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Perhaps you'd prefer the good old days when one priest distributed Communion to 200-400 people (range of Mass attendance at our Church). Actually, back in the old days, there were few recipients, so it could more readily be handled by one person. Also, Communion was distributed under one species only -- the Host.

Pressure? I think not.

Perhaps you would eliminate EME visits to nursing homes, senior citizen apartments and hospitals, too. With the shortage of priests, this would, by necessity, have to be curtailed.

--hide--

I wasn't around for those "good old days," Ray, but I think you hit on a point when you say "there were few recipients." Quite a few priests will tell you that the lines for Communion get longer and longer, while the lines for Confession are almost non-existent. I can't speak for your parish but I have been in churches where other parish priests were either inside the church or rectory while "Eucharistic Ministers" were used to distribute Holy Communion. That is an abuse. Period.

As Victor points out in this thread, you seem to be taking this to a personal level. We are citing Church teaching on the subject, and you are replying with emotion.

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: I think you are doing a disservice to those who serve as EME's, especially by saying they are a...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I think you are doing a disservice to those who serve as EME's, especially by saying they are acting out of ignorance. This is demeaning and insulting to those who perform this special service to Our Lord. I can't speak for all EME's, but locally, they are trained, they have the process explained to them, including the background about how this came to be.

We have two priests saying 6 weekend Masses at our cluster parish group (3 parishes). Sometimes they arrive just 2 minutes before a Mass at one of the other Churches in this cluster group. Imagine how much time they would need if they would personally distribute the hosts to more than 200 recipients at each Mass. The Church allows for this, and I don't see it as abuse, nor have their been complaints about this. As a parish council member, I do receive comments, suggestions and opinions from many parishioners, none of whom have ever complained about our procedures. The priests are running ragged.

I certainly don't see any of our EME's acting out of ignorance and would appreciate any allusion to that effect be excluded from any dialogue about them. Especially at this time of the year, we should instead be grateful for their help. I know the overworked priests appreciate their service.

--hide--

Ray,

I can't speak for your parish. However, I believe that as long as we are referring to these people as anything other than Extraordinary Ministers, we are being deceptive, whether we intend to or not. If the Extraordinary Ministers in your parish are distributing Holy Communion in truly extraordinary situations, then call them Extraordinary Ministers. When they ask why, tell them that you are using the Church's term (and not the term coined by some American priests or bishops). (If your interest is in following Holy Mother Church on this, then start here.)

I stand by my belief that many of these people are acting out of ignorance. Under no circumstances would any lay person at Mass ever step up to distribute Holy Communion with the knowledge that healthy priests were fifty feet away in the rectory or somewhere else in church; that is, if he or she was truly educated as to what the role of Extraordinary Minister was. (Yes, I have seen this myself.)

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Typically, our Church has 200-400 communicants at each Mass, with one priest to distribute Communio...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Typically, our Church has 200-400 communicants at each Mass, with one priest to distribute Communion. Does this qualify as a "great number of the faithful"?

--hide--

Ray, I am not wanting to be disrespectful but 200 to 400 people is not likely considered "a great number of faithful", the masses at St. Peter's Basilica and other shrines where there are many thousands of people would be.

12/23/2012 new
I'm just glad the Eastern Catholic eparchies don't allow them. We have more than enough deacons. Perhaps the subdiaconate could be revived to assist the priest and deacon with distributing communion.
12/23/2012 new

May I ask how many people attend your church on a normal Sunday? And how many priests you have in residence? And how many Deacons? I wish and pray that we could have enough for all parishes to have enough! We used to have 3 full time priests and at least one visiting priest every weekend to cover our church and our mission church in the next town. Now we don't even have have a deacon to call on for extra help for our priest.

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: What hasn't been addressed is how a single priest would handle distributing Communion to as man...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

What hasn't been addressed is how a single priest would handle distributing Communion to as many as 400 people at a single Mass without some assistance. The Church's stance on this is clear (at least to me) that EME's can provide such assistance.

--hide--

To quote my father (RIP) "that extra 5 minutes in prayer would not be a crime." Communion Rails are actually a very efficient process if we are talking about time/motion studies which seem to be the issue? Go to a Traditional Latin Mass and see how reasonable the process is. You can attend Mass, receive Our Lord, pray and still have time to make golf afterward.

Modernism and relativism are big issues in our world and have clearly made their way into the modern Church. Is the Body of Christ sacred enough to receive on the tongue kneeling from an Ordained Minister of the Church? My understanding is that in the USA the modern push was heavily led by Archbishop Bernardin. At his funeral "The Chicago Gay Men`s Chorus provided the musical accompaniment ..." - is this man in Heaven? Are there clergy out there leading the sheep astray? “The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.”St. Athanasius, Council of Nicaea, AD 325 .

I agree wholeheartedly with comments that we should research and read about the Catholic Faith.

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: I think you are doing a disservice to those who serve as EME's, especially by saying they are a...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I think you are doing a disservice to those who serve as EME's, especially by saying they are acting out of ignorance. This is demeaning and insulting to those who perform this special service to Our Lord. I can't speak for all EME's, but locally, they are trained, they have the process explained to them, including the background about how this came to be.

We have two priests saying 6 weekend Masses at our cluster parish group (3 parishes). Sometimes they arrive just 2 minutes before a Mass at one of the other Churches in this cluster group. Imagine how much time they would need if they would personally distribute the hosts to more than 200 recipients at each Mass. The Church allows for this, and I don't see it as abuse, nor have their been complaints about this. As a parish council member, I do receive comments, suggestions and opinions from many parishioners, none of whom have ever complained about our procedures. The priests are running ragged.

I certainly don't see any of our EME's acting out of ignorance and would appreciate any allusion to that effect be excluded from any dialogue about them. Especially at this time of the year, we should instead be grateful for their help. I know the overworked priests appreciate their service.

--hide--

Is it not better to assume they are acting out of ignorance than that they are intentionally violating the Church rules? If the Masses are scheduled too closely together to permit the priests to obey the liturgical rules, wouldn't it be better to spacet he Masses firther apart than to violate the rules?

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: One of the differences from the '50's is that the Churches were packed, but only a ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

One of the differences from the '50's is that the Churches were packed, but only a small percentage of the people received Communion. It was easier for one priest to handle the distribution of the Blessed Sacrament. Now most of those in attendance receive thi sacrament making it difficult for a single priest to administer this sacrament.

--hide--

I wasn't alive in the 50s, but in the mid 60s (before the post-Vatican II changes and before EMHCs) it certainly wasn't the case that only a small percentage of the congregation received Holy Communion. The main difference was that the altar rails were still in place and Communion was distributed to all (except those physically unable) kneeling and only under one species. This distribution goes MUCH faster this way, since the priest doesn'th ave to wait for one person to move out of the way and another to move into place.

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Didn't realize that as an EME I've offended so many.
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Didn't realize that as an EME I've offended so many.

--hide--

It's not the EMs who cause the offense, but rather the priests who are responsible for using them inappropriately. When a priest attempts to correct the abuses and is thwarted by the EMs raising a fuss, it's a different story.

12/23/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Linda -- you didn't need to become an EME to offend so many..... Per a previous post, it...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Linda -- you didn't need to become an EME to offend so many.....

Per a previous post, it's an honor and privilege to serve as an EME. It's truly a special service you are performing and you certainly don't have to defend or apologize for it. It is allowed in the US by Rome and that should be the end to others' arguments against it. We need to consider where the problem actually lies.

--hide--

Ray, have you read the documents others have referenced in this discussion and noted the restriction that exist on the use of EMHC? You can't say their use is allowed and that's the end of it without referencing the restrictions and how they are widely ignored.

Posts 41 - 50 of 200