Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dec 23rd 2012 new
Well now are we all friends again? This issue as well as many others be they liturgical, theological, escotological etc Are in fact part of the great debate concerning the 50 years since the second vatican coucil. Now before some one rips my head off, there were problems before then. Popes St. Pius X talks of modernism and this was in the early 1900' s. Problem is that like the arian heresy, modernism has got both clergy and laity in its grips. Many by no fault of there own. So I see this above issue as a symptom, nothing more
Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: Ray, I am not wanting to be disrespectful but 200 to 400 people is not likely cons...
(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said:

Ray, I am not wanting to be disrespectful but 200 to 400 people is not likely considered "a great number of faithful", the masses at St. Peter's Basilica and other shrines where there are many thousands of people would be.

--hide--
Yes, that may be a relative number. But...when a priest barely has time to get to another Church to say another Mass, the time element becomes more important. We're also considering that there is but one priest available.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: Ray, I am not wanting to be disrespectful but 200 to 400 people is not likely cons...

Ray, I am not wanting to be disrespectful but 200 to 400 people is not likely considered "a great number of faithful", the masses at St. Peter's Basilica and other shrines where there are many thousands of people would be.

--hide--
Yes, that may be a relative number. But...when a priest barely has time to get to another Church to say another Mass, the time element becomes more important. We're also considering that there is but one priest available.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Yes, that may be a relative number. But...when a priest barely has time to get to another Church to...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

--hide--
Oops....

Rosanna -- I wanted to emphasize that I didn't take your comment as being disrespectul. Again, the number is relative, and the relativity becomes more important because of circumstances.

Dec 23rd 2012 new
Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said:
(Quote) Tim-734178 said:

--hide--

And who said that brevity wasn't the soul of wit? tongue

theheart

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Is it not better to assume they are acting out of ignorance than that they are intentiona...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Is it not better to assume they are acting out of ignorance than that they are intentionally violating the Church rules? If the Masses are scheduled too closely together to permit the priests to obey the liturgical rules, wouldn't it be better to spacet he Masses firther apart than to violate the rules?

--hide--
Changing the Mass times is easier said than done, although it is a matter under discussion. The 2 pastors handling 3 Churches aredoing the best they can given the hand they've been dealt. Aside from that, there's no indication they're violating Church rules so that isn't a cause for alarm here.

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: And who said that brevity wasn't the soul of wit?
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

And who said that brevity wasn't the soul of wit?

--hide--
I think he's hinting for a moment of silence..... shhh

Dec 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: May I ask how many people attend your church on a normal Sunday? And how many priests you have i...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

May I ask how many people attend your church on a normal Sunday? And how many priests you have in residence? And how many Deacons? I wish and pray that we could have enough for all parishes to have enough! We used to have 3 full time priests and at least one visiting priest every weekend to cover our church and our mission church in the next town. Now we don't even have have a deacon to call on for extra help for our priest.

--hide--

Rachel, I don't know who you are addressing, but I would like to answer. I usually attend the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) and there are about 200+ in attendance for the noon Mass with usually only one priest distributing Communion to all. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes (using Communion rails). Rarely a second priest will assist if he is in town for a weekday Mass on a Feast day. I also sometimes attend the Ukrainian Byzantine Mass and again there is about 200 to 300 people with one priest and a deacon distributing Communion. I also at times attend the Novus Ordo (NO) or new Mass (the "normal" Mass) at times and this is when I see Extraordinary Ministers distributing Communion. I was taught to go quietly to the line with the priest but not to make a scene in doing so. The Mass can have up to 400 people but usually not more than 200, but I don't think this is considered to be a Extraordinary Circumstance. I don't mean this with disrespect but Communion is faster at the NO and at times I have felt like this was an "express" mentality. I think the extra time for prayer before or after Communion is to be appreciated.

For Ash Wednesday last year, I went to the old downtown church (NO) that is quite small is size. I don't know how many attended that day but I do remember the Communion line went on forever as there were people outside the church who didn't get inside during the Mass. I'm guessing well over 600 people attended. There was only one priest, assisted by another person either another priest or EME (I didn't see who) and Communion went on for about a half hour, but no one seemed disturbed by this but accepted it. This church is popular during the weekday Masses as it is in the downtown business core and people come in for their lunch hour from work. It would have been more appropriate for a deacon or second priest to serve, but in this case the EME may have been appropriate. The extra time for Communion was not problematic even if people had to get back to work.

Dec 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Rosanna-921185 said: Rachel, I don't know who you are addressing, but I would like to answer. I usu...

Rachel, I don't know who you are addressing, but I would like to answer. I usually attend the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) and there are about 200+ in attendance for the noon Mass with usually only one priest distributing Communion to all. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes (using Communion rails). Rarely a second priest will assist if he is in town for a weekday Mass on a Feast day. I also sometimes attend the Ukrainian Byzantine Mass and again there is about 200 to 300 people with one priest and a deacon distributing Communion. I also at times attend the Novus Ordo (NO) or new Mass (the "normal" Mass) at times and this is when I see Extraordinary Ministers distributing Communion. I was taught to go quietly to the line with the priest but not to make a scene in doing so. The Mass can have up to 400 people but usually not more than 200, but I don't think this is considered to be a Extraordinary Circumstance. I don't mean this with disrespect but Communion is faster at the NO and at times I have felt like this was an "express" mentality. I think the extra time for prayer before or after Communion is to be appreciated.

For Ash Wednesday last year, I went to the old downtown church (NO) that is quite small is size. I don't know how many attended that day but I do remember the Communion line went on forever as there were people outside the church who didn't get inside during the Mass. I'm guessing well over 600 people attended. There was only one priest, assisted by another person either another priest or EME (I didn't see who) and Communion went on for about a half hour, but no one seemed disturbed by this but accepted it. This church is popular during the weekday Masses as it is in the downtown business core and people come in for their lunch hour from work. It would have been more appropriate for a deacon or second priest to serve, but in this case the EME may have been appropriate. The extra time for Communion was not problematic even if people had to get back to work.

--hide--
As an aside to portions of this topic, we're learning some information about the Communion rail that many of us miss. It was discovered that a number of priests were developing back problems because of having to bend while distributing Communion. I was told this was a consideration in allowing Communion to be distributed differently. The average age of our diocesan priests is 55, which does point to an aging priesthood. The average age will increase, given the few vocations to the priesthood. I didn't check to see what official sources say about this, but it's something that was mentioned by an archdiocesan representative. The reference to average age is factual.

Posts 51 - 60 of 200