Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

12/24/2012 new

Being a EM is the most important thing i have done in my life. I do respect everyone's opinion. I won't get offended by what has been said. I feel honored with what i am doing i do believe i am doing the right thing i do adore it and will never stop it. As long as my church represented by the POPE agree with it.

12/24/2012 new

I have a question to whom of you who are taking the Eucharist from the priest and only the priest but they are taking the Eucharist in their hands, what is the difference between giving the Eucharist to oneself or giving it to someone else? Each one of you is touching the Eucharist in your hands before taking it.

(Please don't get me wrong i am not talking in a sarcastic way)

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: Being a EM is the most important thing i have done in my life. I do respect everyone's opin...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said:

Being a EM is the most important thing i have done in my life. I do respect everyone's opinion. I won't get offended by what has been said. I feel honored with what i am doing i do believe i am doing the right thing i do adore it and will never stop it. As long as my church represented by the POPE agree with it.

--hide--
A little pause is needed here, Therese, to welcome you to the CM forums. Glad to have you aboard. As you can see, you'll find many lively discussions here. In the process, we gain some knowledge and insight into practical, everday matters, plus information about our Faith.

In my readings thus far (some of the encyclicals and other commentaries), I'm not finding problems with the use of extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist. Frankly, the provisions I've seen are vague, thus making it difficult to target as being incorrect, sinful, desecrating, or wrong. I'm sure if we went to different parts of the world (where the rules can be different), we would discover similar situations.

I sincerely believe that you are performing an important function in the Church. There are those who disagree with the use of EME's; however, having been one myself, I'm well aware of the awe and reverence connected with it and how the sacrament's meaning was truly enhanced by the experience.

We hope you will continue to participate in the forums, now that you've dived in and got your feet wet. biggrin

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Victor, an ordained Deacon is also a "proper" administrator of Holy Communion. Th...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Victor, an ordained Deacon is also a "proper" administrator of Holy Communion.

There is no doubt that the use of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy communion has reached the level of ridiculousness. Some Bishops have prohibited their use in their Sees except for bringing the Eucharist to shut ins.

When there is only 1 priest and Communion is distributed under both species, it makes sense to use an authorized layperson.

Otherwise, I agree with you that the use of lay persons in this role as it as practised in the US today, is an abuse of the privilege granted by the Vatican.

There is no reason that a priest alone cannot distribute communnion to a large number of people. They did it when I was an Altar Boy so many years ago. And that was a time when there were at least two priests or more per parish.

Pre VII, once the priest performed the Consecration he kept his thumb and first fingers together except when handling the host until after he rinsed his hands after communion. It was a sign of respect. A term that seems to have disappeared from the lexicon of the Church.

--hide--

My pastor does it today. That's what an altar rail is for, and with an altar boy to hold the paten under the chin it works pretty well.

The keeping of thumb and forefinger, as far as I know, is a feature of the Extraordinary Form. The GIRM doesn't have it in the rubrics, AFAIK.

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: Being a EM is the most important thing i have done in my life. I do respect everyone's opin...

--hide--

That's the issue of this discussion. Two issues, actually. The first issue is the fact that the US Bishops endowed Extraordinary Ministers with the elevated title of Eucharistic Ministers. This was never approved by the Holy See, as Canon Law clearly states that only ordained priests and deacons carry the Eucharistic Minister designation. For what it's worth, that really hasn't been debated in this thread, as most acknowledge that the Bishops may have overstepped their authority in this matter.

The primary discussion in this thread is how far beyond the intended scope have Extraordinary Ministers been pushed by both the heirarchy of the Church here in the US and by diocean-level Bishops. Those of us who are of the opinion that the roles of Extraordinary Ministers have been over-expanded have referenced official encyclicals stating the restrictions on diocees in regards to how they use Extraordinary Ministers.

That said, no one who has participated in this discussion rejects Extraordionary Ministers or the roles they are intended to serve. That much we all agree on. The concerns of those who share my point of view on this matter share my point of view on the premise that we believe that the same heirarchy of the Church in this country, who have Protestantized our Holy Church to such a great extent since Vatican II, are now Protestantizing the roles of the laity as well... and have begun with the subtle but very significant redefining of their roles in direct opposition to how they are defined by Canon Law.

theheart

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: I have a question to whom of you who are taking the Eucharist from the priest and only the prie...

I have a question to whom of you who are taking the Eucharist from the priest and only the priest but they are taking the Eucharist in their hands, what is the difference between giving the Eucharist to oneself or giving it to someone else? Each one of you is touching the Eucharist in your hands before taking it.

--hide--

No, I do not receive Holy Communion in the hand (and never have), nor will I ever receive Holy Communion from an Extraordinary Minister where an ordained priest or deacon is also present.

theheart

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: (Quote) Therese-668052 said: I have a question to whom of you who are tak...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Quote:
Therese-668052 said:

No, I do not receive Holy Communion in the hand (and never have), nor will I ever receive Holy Communion from an Extraordinary Minister where an ordained priest or deacon is also present.

--hide--

The reason is very simple to understand, too. My unconsecrated hands are not worthy of touching the Holy Eucharist and I would be commiting a sacrilege any time that I would do so.

So, how would allowing the unconsecrated hands of a non-ordained Extraordinary Minister place that Holy Eucharist on my tongue in the presence of an ordained priest or deacon not also be a sacrilege?

Just a little food for thought...

theheart

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: The reason is very simple to understand, too. My unconsecrated hands are not worthy of touching...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

The reason is very simple to understand, too. My unconsecrated hands are not worthy of touching the Holy Eucharist and I would be commiting a sacrilege any time that I would do so.

So, how would allowing the unconsecrated hands of a non-ordained Extraordinary Minister place that Holy Eucharist on my tongue in the presence of an ordained priest or deacon not also be a sacrilege?

Just a little food for thought...

--hide--

I agree, Victor

12/24/2012 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: I have a question to whom of you who are taking the Eucharist from the priest and only the prie...

--hide--

I am not sure that any Pope has been a big supporter of Communion in the Hand. Please read the link below:

catholicvox.blogspot.com.au

In point 3) it is correctly stated that "Communion in the hand spread through disobedience to the Pope" and use of EMS flowed on soon after Communion in the Hand was illicitly introduced as a historical sequence of events which are factual.

Perhaps you should read more and make an informed decision about whether you are being loyal to the Holy Father as you believe you presently are?

The link below is staight from the Vatican itself:

www.vatican.va

12/24/2012 new

--hide--

I do not take the Eucharist in my hands, only on the tongue. That is another issue discussed by the article I linked and by Cardinal Arinze frequently which the Church will likely remedy soon. I'd imagine the others would say the same.

Posts 61 - 70 of 200