Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found or unavailable

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

communion

12/26/2012 new

Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ago. Even though I attended parochial schools for most of my primary and secondary schooling, I got away from the Church for a long time. Now I attend Mass weekly and read scripture daily and have made Jesus Christ my guiding light. Im still confused on the subject of recieving sacrements. I am divorced, and have been for a long time, raising my children as a single dad, but I did not get married in the Catholic Church. I have been in relationships since then. In Church I really feel left out when I cannot recieve the Body and Blood of Christ, somehow this just doesn't seem fair.

12/26/2012 new

It breaks my heart to hear you say this. There is no reason a divorced person cannot receive Communion. The sin is NOT being divorced - it's being remarried after a divorce.

As long as you're not re-married w/o an annulment, you can receive Communion - provided you meet the usual requirements which apply to all Catholics.

Please meet with your priest. Discuss it with him. Go to confession. Go to Communion. God wants you back fully. Divorce is no impediment to that.

12/26/2012 new
(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ...
(Quote) Stephane-919789 said:

Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ago. Even though I attended parochial schools for most of my primary and secondary schooling, I got away from the Church for a long time. Now I attend Mass weekly and read scripture daily and have made Jesus Christ my guiding light. Im still confused on the subject of recieving sacrements. I am divorced, and have been for a long time, raising my children as a single dad, but I did not get married in the Catholic Church. I have been in relationships since then. In Church I really feel left out when I cannot recieve the Body and Blood of Christ, somehow this just doesn't seem fair.

--hide--

Totally agree with David on this one. Unfortunately many years ago there was the belief that if you were divorced, you could not receive. The only thing that prohibits you from receiving is being in a state of mortal sin. A Catholic's marriage outside the Church without special dispensation, would not be recognized, thus your intimacy with any woman would be considered a sin. Please make an appointment and discuss an annulment with your priest. Also, please know that an annulment has no bearing on the status of the children. I have heard some people say they refuse to get an annulment because that would mean their children are illegitimate. This is not so.

Go to your nearest Catholic book store or on amazon.com and buy the Catechism of the Catholic Church (green cover) promulgated my JP2, it is an easy read considering the depth of Catholic theology. You have some catching up to do, welcome home, and welcome to the forums. But most important, welcome back to the sacraments.
12/26/2012 new

Good advice here so far! I would start with Confession, if you havent already gone. that is the best first step.

12/26/2012 new

Stephane,

I have been told by my deacon & parish priest that as long as I am living chastely, I can receive communion. Now, there are some varied arguments popping up about what that means precisely. In my case, I've taken it to mean not dating at all, and basically just continuing to have only social interactions that would be appropriate to a married woman. I have also heard arguments that you can date as long as you keep things very restrained. If you have an annulment advocate in your parish, you need to go talk to them because it is terribly helpful. I am one of those folks that has to be shown everything in writing, so we did tons of research. I was actually stalled in the middle of a conversion process for 6 years. There are a lot of people here in the forums working on annulments and that being why we're here, so it does help to have others to talk to, so please do jump in.

12/26/2012 new

(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic a...

--hide--

There's great advice offered here... In addition I would like to recommend the book, "Divorced. Catholic. Now What?" by Lisa Duffy & Vince Frese. (Lisa works here on CM with the divorced population.) It's a very thorough book, going deeply into every aspect of what it means to be divorced & addresses steps one can take towards the road to recovery. Your many questions will be answered, as well as offering a delicate road map towards union with Our Lord through sacraments & prayer. She calls the annulment process the eighth sacrament, for all the graces that are attached to it. In my case, it did more to help me heal than anything else...

Welcome home Stephane... Our Lord with His angles & saints are singing Hallelujah Choruses with your return. You will never be sorry... rose

12/26/2012 new

Agree, Cat. Its also something that can be done immediately. And it never hurts to ask the priest at taht time for guidance forward...

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: Good advice here so far! I would start with Confession, if you havent already gone. that is the bes...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

Good advice here so far! I would start with Confession, if you havent already gone. that is the best first step.

--hide--

12/27/2012 new

(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: Im fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic a...

--hide--

Welcome home, Stephane! And welcome to CM! I agree with the folks above and also encourage you to make an appointment to talk things over with your parish priest. The Holy Eucharist is the nourishment we need to become strong spiritually. If you're worried about whether or not you should receive, error on the side of caution - get a Confession in and you're good to go.

Praying rosary theheart

12/28/2012 new

(Quote) Stephane-919789 said: I'm fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catho...

I'm fairly new to this site and for that matter returned to being a fully practicing Catholic about 3 months ago. Even though I attended parochial schools for most of my primary and secondary schooling, I got away from the Church for a long time. Now I attend Mass weekly and read scripture daily and have made Jesus Christ my guiding light. I'm still confused on the subject of receiving sacraments. I am divorced, and have been for a long time, raising my children as a single dad, but I did not get married in the Catholic Church. I have been in relationships since then. In Church I really feel left out when I cannot receive the Body and Blood of Christ, somehow this just doesn't seem fair.

--hide--
Hi Stephane.Since you did not get married in the Catholic Church,you are free to receive the Sacraments.Make an appointment with your Pastor and go over details of what you need to do to have the Tribunal verify the facts.Otherwise,based on what you've said,you are free to receive the Sacraments and get married in the Church.Of course that must be made official. Welcome back!

01/31/2013 new

--hide--
Stephane, allow me to suggest presenting your question in Catholic Answers http://forums.catholic.com

The site is administered by Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P, a Chaplain and Apologist. He might provide you with the insight you are seeking.

Posts 1 - 10 of 18