Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

warp drives

Dec 26th 2012 new

Here is a cool tidbit of news for the science-minded among us:

techland.time.com

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Greg-902815 said: Here is a cool tidbit of news for the science-minded among us: techland.time.com.
(Quote) Greg-902815 said:

Here is a cool tidbit of news for the science-minded among us:

techland.time.com

--hide--

I would say that, if God has it in mind for to have this, we will have it in a time of His choosing. That would likely be a time where the Church is stronger, and the falsehoods of our time vanquished.

I hope that, if God wills we explore the galaxy and find new worlds, that the explorers be more like The North American Marytrs, or Dr. Ransom of C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy than Captain Kirk or secularist heroes like Jean Luc Picard.

Dec 26th 2012 new

We should view scientific knowledge as a PRIVILEGE bestowed onto us by the Creator. Unfortunately, many modern scientists want the privelegebut they don't want to honor the source: God. Richard Dawkins is a prime example of this.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Greg-902815 said: We should view scientific knowledge as a PRIVILEGE bestowed onto us by the Creator. Unfor...

We should view scientific knowledge as a PRIVILEGE bestowed onto us by the Creator. Unfortunately, many modern scientists want the privelege but they don't want to honor the source: God. Richard Dawkins is a prime example of this.

--hide--

Faith and Reason are both gifts from God, and both ordered to the same end, the elevation of the mind to Truth.

Reason, when it is confused by the false ideology of scientism, eventually becomes anti-reason. We saw that in the French Revolution, where, at its nadir, the government executed scientists such as Antoine Lavoisier (ironically, both him and his accusor, Marat, both were members of Ben Franklin's inquiries into Mesmerism and animal magnetism). en.wikipedia.org

It is also happening in our day where science is used to promote unprovable speculations such as the Multiverse idea. Thus, in support of science being the replacement for Faith, which athieists disdain, they make science into anti-reason.

cnsnews.com

Dec 26th 2012 new

The late John Paul II summed it up perfectly:

"The scientist's condition as a sentinel in the modern world, as one who is the first to glimpse the enormous complexity together with the marvellous harmony of reality, makes him a privileged witness of the plausibility of religion, a man capable of showing how the admission of transcendence, far from harming the autonomy and the ends of research, rather stimulates it to continually surpass itself in an experience of self-transcendence which reveals the human mystery". - Pope John Paul II, 7/17/85.

Science in and of itself is not evil, contrary to what protestants profess. Modern so called "scientists"(the supporters of evolution) think that God must conform to science. Also from the Vatican council, :

Sess. III, de fide, c. 4): "Faith and reason are of mutual help to each other: by reason, well applied, the foundations of faith are established, and, in the light of faith, the science of Divinity is built up. Faith, on the other hand frees and preserves reason from error and enriches it with knowledge. The Church, therefore, far from hindering the pursuit of arts and sciences, fosters and promotes them in many ways. . . . Nor does she prevent sciences, each in its sphere, from making use of their own principles and methods. Yet, while acknowledging the freedom due to them, she tries to preserve them from falling into errors contrary to Divine doctrine, and from overstepping their own boundaries and throwing into confusion matters that belong to the domain of faith. The doctrine of faith which God has revealed is not placed before the human mind for further elaboration, like a philosophical system; it is a Divine deposit, handed over to the Spouse of Christ, to be faithfully guarded and infallibly declared. Hence, the meaning once given to a sacred dogma by holy mother Church is to be maintained forever and not to be departed from under pretext of more profound understanding. Let knowledge, science and wisdom grow with the course of times and centuries, in individuals as well as in the community, in each man as in the whole Church, but in the proper manner, i.e., in the same dogma, in the same meaning, in the same understanding".

Unfortuantely, it is the custom of the protestants to attack anything that is related to science, as being evil. It would make sense that they would assault the intellectual history of the Church, given that they broke off from it. It's disturbing to see that a lot of protestant philosophy has creeped into the Church.

Dec 26th 2012 new

Science is to conform with God, not vise versa. It is when people try to get God to conform to science, where it becomes apostasy. It's all about how people use it, for good or for ill. So I don't fall for the protestant tactic of saying that because something is scientific, ergo it must be bad.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Greg-902815 said: Science is to conform with God, not vise versa. It is when people try to get God to conform to sci...

Science is to conform with God, not vise versa. It is when people try to get God to conform to science, where it becomes apostasy. It's all about how people use it, for good or for ill. So I don't fall for the protestant tactic of saying that because something is scientific, ergo it must be bad.

--hide--

That is also similar to the attitude some in the Liberty movement have to the government, which while very corrupt, is still necessary because men are social beings who live in communion. There are necessary forms, such as the family, and other levels should be for the support of the family, but obedient to the Church.

Those, who, like Alex Jones, rightly see what's wrong with the world do not understand what is right about it. Having no vantage point but love of revolution, all they have to solve the problem caused by revolution against the legitimate order of the United States is more of the same but in an individualistic direction.

Those who support the state, which include those of the elites the Liberty movement rail against, see the same problems. They too only see government as artificial, see revolution as their central principle, and sees revolution (into statism) as the answer.

In other words, while both sides have a different revolutionary direction (one to statism, the other to nihilistic anarchism), they espouse a doubling down of the very thing that's destroying society.

Dec 26th 2012 new

Your first paragraph simply backs up my point: science comes from God and not vice versa. You're basically admitting that science is not necessarily bad. Interestingly enough, it's the communists who want to paint anything intellectual as being bad. Why? Because the intellect, in their mind, represents the bourgeoise(the "elite").

I LOVE this forum! This started out as a simple news article, but somehow Alex Jones' has been dragged into this. DO SOME research on Alex Jones before you start talking badly about him. Fox News wants to destroy him at all costs, because he is a REAL conservative and he exposes them for what they are. It turns out that Fox News is owned by Rupert Murdoch who funded b.o.'s election campaign. So while you were sitting at home and watching Fox, thinking that they were the "alternative", Fox was sneering at you because they had you: hook, line, and sinker.

Since we're on the topic; do you watch Fox? You've got to realize that Fox thinks people are to dumb to turn away from glamour; thus, in their minds, they can continue secretly pushing b.o, while people sit there and watch.

Dec 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Greg-902815 said: Your first paragraph simply backs up my point: science comes from God and not vice versa. You'...

Your first paragraph simply backs up my point: science comes from God and not vice versa. You're basically admitting that science is not necessarily bad. Interestingly enough, it's the communists who want to paint anything intellectual as being bad. Why? Because the intellect, in their mind, represents the bourgeoise(the "elite").

I LOVE this forum! This started out as a simple news article, but somehow Alex Jones' has been dragged into this. DO SOME research on Alex Jones before you start talking badly about him. Fox News wants to destroy him at all costs, because he is a REAL conservative and he exposes them for what they are. It turns out that Fox News is owned by Rupert Murdoch who funded b.o.'s election campaign. So while you were sitting at home and watching Fox, thinking that they were the "alternative", Fox was sneering at you because they had you: hook, line, and sinker.

Since we're on the topic; do you watch Fox? You've got to realize that Fox thinks people are to dumb to turn away from glamour; thus, in their minds, they can continue secretly pushing b.o, while people sit there and watch.

--hide--

I didn't mean it to completely slam Alex Jones. There is much in InfoWars.com and Prison Planet that is very informative.

He and those like him see far better how things are going in the United States and the world than the mainstream media shows. BTW, no I do not watch TV at all if I can help it. I prefer reading my news on the internet. Like I said, both the statists and the individualists have a shared committment to revolution.

Here are some comments on Audio Sancto on the subject of revolutionism, and the real solution.

www.audiosancto.org

www.audiosancto.org

Dec 27th 2012 new

So back to the topic at hand: it would be cool to see engineers find loop holes around general relativity. It's all speculation, but who knows...it just may come to fruition, God willing.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10