Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 8th 2013 new
Sorry for all the typos. I accidentally hit submit before I could proof read it.
Jan 8th 2013 new
Yes I am & I live in a great neighborhood.Christmas time 4 households brought cookies &

vice versa. Several households we also exchange Christmas presents.Having an open

house for my moms birthday celebration Sun & 5 different households are invited,plus

friends,relatives & our priest.
Jan 8th 2013 new
Yes I am & I live in a great neighborhood.Christmas time 4 households brought cookies &

vice versa. Several households we also exchange Christmas presents.Having an open

house for my moms birthday celebration Sun & 5 different households are invited,plus

Jan 8th 2013 new

Jan 8th 2013 new

I moved into my cabin on the mountain 9 months after my husband died. The area could loosely be called a neighborhood. Mountain folks tend to stay to themselves, but they would do anything for you if you need them. An older gentleman came to welcome me to neighborhood. I'll never forget what he said, "Now you call me anytime honey, day or night. If anyone tries to hurt you or get out of line, you just call me. I'll be right down and take are of it and teach him a thing or two. If you were married, you wouldn't be needing to call me, cause that would be between you and your ole man. But, you being a widow woman and all, you just call me. You can bet, I'll take care of it."

No kidding, that is exactly what he said. He has been a great friend of mine for over 5 years. And, his wife is a sweetheart, too.

- Elizabeth

Jan 9th 2013 new
Yes. I love to be neighborly. I like knowing all those around me and to to be friendly to my neighbors, even if they might not technically be friends. If I see a neighbor who needs help with anything, I will offer my help, and vise versa. The people who live in my building are awesome. We're always looking out for one another. One of the best thing people can do for themselves and others is to be nice to everyone.
Jan 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: I moved into my cabin on the mountain 9 months after my husband died. The area could loosely be called a n...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

I moved into my cabin on the mountain 9 months after my husband died. The area could loosely be called a neighborhood. Mountain folks tend to stay to themselves, but they would do anything for you if you need them. An older gentleman came to welcome me to neighborhood. I'll never forget what he said, "Now you call me anytime honey, day or night. If anyone tries to hurt you or get out of line, you just call me. I'll be right down and take are of it and teach him a thing or two. If you were married, you wouldn't be needing to call me, cause that would be between you and your ole man. But, you being a widow woman and all, you just call me. You can bet, I'll take care of it."

No kidding, that is exactly what he said. He has been a great friend of mine for over 5 years. And, his wife is a sweetheart, too.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Thats great Elizabeth. You are brave to live out in a secluded area by yourself.

My mother owns a small place in upstate New York that's not so secluded. One night, many years ago, an older neighbor who had just moved two houses away, who we didn't know except to wave hello, walked over in the dark to my parent's house, with rifle in hand, to warn them that there was a bear in his backyard and not to come out. I never forgot that he did that for my parents. I remained friends with this couple until he passed away, and I am still close friends with his wife.
Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Thats great Elizabeth. You are brave to live out in a secluded area by yourself. My ...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Thats great Elizabeth. You are brave to live out in a secluded area by yourself.

My mother owns a small place in upstate New York that's not so secluded. One night, many years ago, an older neighbor who had just moved two houses away, who we didn't know except to wave hello, walked over in the dark to my parent's house, with rifle in hand, to warn them that there was a bear in his backyard and not to come out. I never forgot that he did that for my parents. I remained friends with this couple until he passed away, and I am still close friends with his wife.
--hide--

I'm not sure how brave I am, Josephine. My best nights of sleep still happen only when family or friends or visiting. I bought the place because of the view of the mountain range. When I saw it, I felt like God was showing me that He had it all under control and I could relax and give all my concerns to Him. Every time I look out my window or drive in the driveway, I see that mountain range and the valley below and I am comforted by knowing God really does have things under control.

I'm told me have mountain lions, but I've never seen one. Deer and rabbits are everywhere. Watching the hawks glide is just an awesome thing to see. So glad your parents had such a good friend. The ones I have made on my mountain are solid people and I am so glad to have them as friends.

- Elizabeth

Jan 9th 2013 new

Hi Kathy,

The neighbors we have on one side are not real affable but DO nod when we wave at them. Now I NOD myself! However the guy across the street has been Jim's neighbor for 30 years and is great to us. Whenever we have IT or computer problems he is over immediately to help out.

Last year when my car door needed attention....he was the one who helped me fix it. (He knew I was on the mend from the surgery)

When I was married we had the same neighbors for 16 years. The lady/wife was good friends with mine. The husband and I weren't the greatest of friends...but nevertheless got along well. We had quite an arrangement with them though. We would invite them over to swim in our pool....and they would reciprocate with us by taking us to the lake and riding on their boat. When either of us would go out of town...we each had keys to the others house. (trusting relationship huh?) It worked out well. They were sick we divorced...but still maintain annual contact. (they ARE still married...and LIVE in that same home!)

Jan 10th 2013 new

I am loving these stories. Elizabeth, your neighbor is priceless! We had a really large snowfall shortly after I was widowed and I didn't know how to use the snow blower yet, so I was out there every couple hours while the snow kept falling trying to stay on top of it. Physical activity is a definite healer for me, but I was losing this battle. A newer neighbor from across the street saw me and yelled for me to wait until it was done and asked if there was someplace I had to drive to as the roads were pretty much impassable anyways. I said, "Well, I would like to get to church in the morning." He shooed me inside with a promise to help once it stopped snowing. I was so touched to look out at 1 am to see him snowblowing my drive so I would have no trouble leaving for mass in the morning.

Mind you, these same neighbors stood at the end of their driveway watching me scale a 20' ladder to hang Christmas lights before shaking their heads and retreating indoors! I'm pretty sure they were just waiting to see if they should call 911.

Posts 21 - 30 of 40