Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Christmas truce

Dec 26th 2012 new

I hope this is being posted in the right part of the forum.

On Christmas Eve in 1914 there was a spontaneous halt to the guns on the western front during WW I. In the lull comes the voice of a German soldier singing Stille Nacht. The British troops recognized the melody as Silent Night and joined in. There was heard calls for visits across No Man's Land. Cigars, whiskey, jams, chocolate and other small gifts were exchange between the German and British troops. Soldiers from both sides gathered for funerals in No Man's Land as they read a passage from Psalm 23 (Psalm 22 in the DRB).

Again in 1915 “When the Christmas bells sounded in the villages of the Vosges behind the lines ..... something fantastically unmilitary occurred. German and French troops spontaneously made peace and ceased hostilities; they visited each other through disused trench tunnels, and exchanged wine, cognac and cigarettes for Westphalian black bread, biscuits and ham. This suited them so well that they remained good friends even after Christmas was over.”
Source - en.wikipedia.org

There was also a Christmas truce on Germany's eastern front in WW I between Russian and German troops.

There have been a few songs written about these Christmas truces. Here's five of them.

Christmas 1914 In no man's land

www.youtube.com

Christmas 1915

www.youtube.com

Christmas in the Trenches

www.youtube.com

Pipes Of Peace

www.youtube.com

And we can't forget Snoopy and the Red Baron

www.youtube.com

Every pope since John XXIII has encouraged Catholics to be conscientious objectors.

Dec 26th 2012 new

As I was reading your posting I kept hearing...'Merry Christmas my friend...' the SNOOPY AND RED BARON song, LOL..

Dec 26th 2012 new

Yeah it's a good one, eh Jacqueline.

Dec 26th 2012 new

Garth Brooks recorded the song "Belleaux Wood" (spelling) about the Christmas truce as well. Beautiful song.

Dec 26th 2012 new

Isn't there a movie out about this? I don't get to many shows, but this one caught my eye.

Dec 29th 2012 new

Thanks Christie. I had to find Belleau Wood by Garth Brooks on youtube. Nice song.

www.youtube.com

I'd like to watch that movie Kathy, if anyone knows what the name of it is.

Dec 29th 2012 new

I think it's called Joyeaux Noel.

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I think it's called Joyeaux Noel.
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I think it's called Joyeaux Noel.

--hide--
The movie is Joyeux Noe. It is very good!l

Dec 30th 2012 new

There is also a book about this, called "Silent Night." It's short and well-written, and really brought an element of humanity into the midst of a brutal war. I highly recommend reading this!

Dec 30th 2012 new

Thank You I have heard that before ,Truly God speaking as he is even in the Trenchs.Jon Paul

Posts 1 - 10 of 16