Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Erin-419365 said: I agree with John....I saw it right after Christmas and I thought it was PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...
(Quote) Erin-419365 said:

I agree with John....I saw it right after Christmas and I thought it was PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I RARELY go to movies! I was frankly astonished that "today's" Hollywood was capable of putting out something that sensational!!!!!!!!!!

--hide--

Certain critics have complained that these actors can't sing. I think they are being ridiculous and missing the overall point. These critics seem to have an agenda of their own in various cases. The actors carried the message(s) of this/these performances beautifully and it WAS Phenomenal!

Jan 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Alena-887599 said: Marianne, I agree that the Thénardiers were the worst kind of immoral people, ...
(Quote) Alena-887599 said:

Marianne, I agree that the Thénardiers were the worst kind of immoral people, and I certainly don't admire them. I only meant in my previous post that the actors portrayed them well. Helena Bonham Carter has played numerous character roles, some of them bordering on sinister, but she does them so well. It's the same with Russel Crowe...his character was the bad guy, but yet I really enjoyed watching Crowe's interpretation of the character.

I know what you mean about the characters looking repulsive. The fact that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway lost so much weight for the parts disturbed me. It makes one wonder if the way these actors were made up was at all exaggerated. This was a time when people were poor, starving, there was no modern medical care, disease was running rampant. Those scenes do strike a nerve.

--hide--

I vaguely recall reading that Hugh Jackman lost 10-15 pounds for some of the parts and then put on 30 or more for the other ones.

I definitely agree that the actors did an excellent job portraying the Thenardiers. I thought they came close to stealing the show.

Jan 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I also thought the scenes that you mentioned were very difficult to watch. I really di...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I also thought the scenes that you mentioned were very difficult to watch. I really disliked the Thenardiers, though, because of
how ugly they made them look and how wicked they were. But I think that is what the producers wanted from them. I also
thought in the opening scenes, they made the characters look way too bad and repulsive looking. For me it was too disturbing and
I could not concentrate on the characters, just the costumes. That was just in the beginning though.

--hide--

I think the scene with all the prostitutes went a bit overboard on the costumes. I also found it somewhat distracting. There were a few other points as well.

Posts 31 - 33 of 33