Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 27th 2012 new
Thats awesome about your daughter inventing her own language. Tollirn invented elvish :)
Dec 27th 2012 new
There are women on this site looking for their Catholic geek... There are also many women intellectually inclined... You have to search for your pearl! It only takes one! ;) now start communicating!!! ;)
Dec 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Greg-902815 said: Congrats to your son on forming his own company.
(Quote) Greg-902815 said: Congrats to your son on forming his own company.
--hide--

O! I'm sorry -- it's his company in that he is one of a small group of guys who work there and were part of it's start up, but it's not 'his' in that he is the only creator!

IFTTT stands for If This, Then That

Dec 27th 2012 new

Craig...I happen to be BOTH a Catholic AND a geek...and PROUDLY so. I am a Physical Science teacher, a US History buff, love Star Trek, Star Wars and Harry Potter, among many other "geek" passions. I am known at work, and by some on CM, for my geek humor. Catholic/geek ladies DO exist, I am proof of that! Don't give up. :-)

Dec 27th 2012 new

He's still an integral part of the company's genesis...really cool :)

Dec 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: There are women on this site looking for their Catholic geek... There are also many women intellectually...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: There are women on this site looking for their Catholic geek... There are also many women intellectually inclined... You have to search for your pearl! It only takes one! ;) now start communicating!!! ;)
--hide--

TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE ornament wreath

Dec 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Craig-883532 said: I'm a bit of a curious one. Computer programmer, geek of all trades, but also someone who enj...
(Quote) Craig-883532 said:

I'm a bit of a curious one. Computer programmer, geek of all trades, but also someone who enjoys camping, kayaking, sailing, swimming and biking. Not so much expecting an answer as much as positing a quandry to the world. There are two dating sites I frequent: Catholic Match is one, and Geek2Geek is the other. Personally, I prefer the style and layout, and inhabitants of CM. When I search through people in my area, I see plenty of kind individuals listed, but unfortunately no one seems to identify as a gamer beyond enjoying the occaisional movie. On the other hand, when I go to gk2gk, I see plenty of matches for women who are into Harry Potter, Doctor Who, video gaming and the like, but not one, not one who is Catholic.

This raises an interesting (if false) dichotomy. The appearance is that being geeky and being Catholic are mutually exclusive, but I don't buy that. Am I putting too much weight into common interest? I was always taught (and I firmly believe) that there can be no love without friendship, and friendships are formed on the basis of common (or at least compatible) interest. Religion is something I can't compromise on in a relationship (I tried once and it didn't end well, even though the Church would have allowed the wedding), but on the same note, I feel someone who isn't a geek is going to be put off by my hobbies, since roleplaying, gaming etc carries such a social stigma to it.

Am I crazy, or am I making this harder than it has to be?

--hide--

being a gamer is rather narrow- isn't it? Correect me because I know almost nothing about it but it does seem a bit unattractive of a focus for a prospective husband. I know a young lady whose husband divorced her due to gaming addiction. He found another gamer and married her or is living with her.. THAT's NOT REALLY LIVING IMHO... is it? I mean, come on...

Dec 27th 2012 new

I think there's a big difference between geeks who are addicted to their hobbies and do them to the exclusion of interacting in the real word, completing school, or being gainfully employed; and geeks who are passionate about their hobbies and enjoy them in their free time. Identifying oneself as a "gamer" does not mean one is addicted or antisocial.

I also think there is a great variety of definitions of "geek." I consider myself to be a bit geeky, but I'm not really into computer/video gaming or role playing. I'd call myself a Korean drama/pop culture geek, but I also like to play strategy games and read and watch sci-fi and fantasy.

I read an article this summer about some controversy around the word geek or nerd. I think someone was definining it narrowly and another someone refuted that. I think it was related to Comic Con, but I'm not sure as I can't remember where I read it or who wrote it. (Wish I could remember it because it was a really good article!)

As for finding a Catholic geek, they're out there. Personally, I'd love to find someone who'd share some of my interests and would be willing to participate in them, but I'm also not looking for someone who's my carbon copy in male form. Because that would be boring. Shared interests are important in a relationship, but it's also important to have different interests.

Just my two cents

Dec 27th 2012 new

Oops, I meant to add this:

Certification of my geekiness: I'm listening to the soundtrack from Evangelion. laughing

Dec 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Craig-883532 said: I'm a bit of a curious one. Computer programmer, geek of all trades, but also someone who enj...
(Quote) Craig-883532 said:

I'm a bit of a curious one. Computer programmer, geek of all trades, but also someone who enjoys camping, kayaking, sailing, swimming and biking. Not so much expecting an answer as much as positing a quandry to the world. There are two dating sites I frequent: Catholic Match is one, and Geek2Geek is the other. Personally, I prefer the style and layout, and inhabitants of CM. When I search through people in my area, I see plenty of kind individuals listed, but unfortunately no one seems to identify as a gamer beyond enjoying the occaisional movie. On the other hand, when I go to gk2gk, I see plenty of matches for women who are into Harry Potter, Doctor Who, video gaming and the like, but not one, not one who is Catholic.

This raises an interesting (if false) dichotomy. The appearance is that being geeky and being Catholic are mutually exclusive, but I don't buy that. Am I putting too much weight into common interest? I was always taught (and I firmly believe) that there can be no love without friendship, and friendships are formed on the basis of common (or at least compatible) interest. Religion is something I can't compromise on in a relationship (I tried once and it didn't end well, even though the Church would have allowed the wedding), but on the same note, I feel someone who isn't a geek is going to be put off by my hobbies, since roleplaying, gaming etc carries such a social stigma to it.

Am I crazy, or am I making this harder than it has to be?

--hide--

Well, to answer your questions, perhaps! Honestly, Craig, I am confused. Is your profile up to date? It says that you are unemployed. If that is the case, it seems you would want to rectify your employment situation first before embarking on looking for a girlfriend and or wife. Or, am I wrong? Have times changed that much?

I do know quite a few gamers. Sadly, I cannot think of any that are in good Christian relationships. So, perhaps you are correct. On the other hand, my dad always talks about how much he loves auto racing. He spent a lot of time in the pits as a crewman. He married and says that we, the kids, got in the way of his hobby. He still enjoys auto racing. He once owned a track where we were all employed. He enjoys attending races and watching them on tv. However, I doubt his hobby takes up as much time as it did when he was single. My mom used to go to a few races with him. I have a brother and a son who share his interest.My dad is 76 and most of his time is spent at work with Sunday afternoons to tinker on cars.

Isn't there a verse in the Bible about putting away young man's things?

Posts 11 - 20 of 32