Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 6th 2013 new
"If you can fill the unforgiving minute, With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And--which is more--you'll be a Man my son!" Rudyard Kipling from the poem "If" "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree.... Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree." Joyce Kilmer, two verses from the poem "Trees"
Jan 6th 2013 new

“Perfection is neither more nor less than the soul’s faithful cooperation with God”. Jean Pierre de Caussade

Jan 6th 2013 new

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering.
Saint Augustine

Jan 7th 2013 new

I can never pick so i just cut and pasted off my Facebook page :)

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses" ~Anonymous

"And remember, the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of God." - Jean Valjean "Les Miserables"

"It's not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers." ~Judy Blume

"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"In order to save my life I must lose it; for my life in God is and can only be a life of unselfish charity." ~Thomas Merton

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Prayer is to our soul what rain is to the soil. Fertilize the soil ever so richly, it will remain barren unless fed by frequent rains." ~St. John Vienney

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"Wherever I went in my life, I met people wanting to gobble up something new. Gobble up a new car. Gobble up a new piece of property. Gobble up the latest toy. And then they wanted to tell you about it. 'Guess what I got? Guess what I got?' You know how I always interpreted that? These were people so hungry for love that they were accepting substitutes. They were embracing material things and expecting a sort of hug back. But it never works. You can never substitute material things for love or for gentleness or for tenderness or for a sense of comradeship." ~ Morrie Schwartz

"Ask God in Adoration to reveal to us how we can be holy and love others to do His work in the world" ~St. Therese of Lisieux

"When you are totally consumed by the Eucharistic fire, then you will be able more consciously to thank God, who has called you to become part of His family. Then you will enjoy the peace that those who are happy in this world have never experienced, because true happiness, oh young people, does not consist in the pleasures of this world, or in earthly things, but in peace of conscience, which we only have if we are pure of heart and mind." Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati

Jan 7th 2013 new
I tell you that you have less to suffer in following the cross than in serving the world and its pleasures. St. John Marie Vianney
Jan 7th 2013 new

Worry about nothing......pray about everything.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: "Let man's own will come to an end and there will be no hell!" -'Heliotropium-The...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

"Let man's own will come to an end and there will be no hell!" -'Heliotropium-The Famous Classic on Conformity of the Human Will to the Divine'

--hide--

I love that book!!! A comment on the abundance of modern, trendy self-help books; from a protestant pastor no less: "If you want to read a book that will challenge your thinking... read a book by an author who is dead". He went on to cite St Augustine, Thomas A Kempis, St John of the Cross, Deitrich Bonhoeffer, and of course, C.S. Lewis. I ran across a copy of Heliotropium in our Adoration Chapel. Sad to say that no one else I know has ever heard of it :(

Otherwise, here are a couple of my favorites...

Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt. Unknown.

I am a man who has suffered many trials and tribulations, most of which never actually happened. Mark Twain (I think).

Jan 7th 2013 new

“The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain”
Padre Pio

“Joy, with peace, is the sister of charity. Serve the Lord with laughter. ”
Padre Pio

“Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.”
Padre Pio

Jan 8th 2013 new

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in
life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. -Booker T. Washington.

Jan 8th 2013 new

I just found this quote from our Holy Father, on one of the CM blogs It is beautiful.

“Falling in love, being an emotion, is not eternal. The emotion of love must be purified”, he said. “It must undertake a journey of discernment in which the mind and the will also come into play. … In the rite of Marriage the Church does not ask whether you are in love but whether you want, whether you are resolved. In other words, falling in love must become true love; it must involve the will and the mind in a journey (which is the period of engagement) of purification, of greater profundity so that it is truly all of man, with all his capacities, with the discernment of reason and the force of will, who says: ‘Yes, this is my life’”.

Posts 81 - 90 of 200