Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

02/02/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: No, Eastern Catholics do not practice the rosary, or stations or Eucharastic adoration. We...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

No, Eastern Catholics do not practice the rosary, or stations or Eucharastic adoration. We do practice the chotki/Jesus prayer, in lieu of the rosary. Our Hail Mary is slightly different, and we also cross ourselves differently, and we also do not genuflect and receive communion as infants.

As for theology, so many things that then lead into ecclesiology! Married men are priests, we do not distinctly define venial vs. mortal sin, so confession is quite different (we usually have no confessionals, and confess to the priest at the altar) and typically only in times of "grave sin" (ie having essentially told God to get out of our lives, rather than sin by weakness of human nature- so we do confession maybe a few times a year), it could be said that Eastern Catholics/Christians do not believe in original sin- though this I am still researching- and thusly from that our idea of the immaculate conception is quite different. We believe what you would call "venial sins" are forgiven with the consumption of the Host. We do not have Advent, we do St. Philip's Fast, and our Lent is stricter and lasts longer. Here, this is one most Roman Catholics disagree with, but most Eastern Catholics do agree with: that the Western Catholic perogative is to not go to Hell, whereas the Eastern Catholic perogative is to go to Heaven. We do not consribe to the idea of "earning" salvation. This leads to varying methods of "adoration" and examination of conscience. We believe in the community of saints, but not in intercessory prayer (at least, not in the same manner). We do not have a patience for typical "Catholic guilt" and do not believe in such self-deprication as that I've seen in the stations of the cross....

And et cetera, ad nauseum! I can go on and on about any of these topics- most people would be sorry they asked, hahaha but if aybody would like to....

I do wish there more Eastern Catholics especially so that I could have a Byzantine wedding; the Eastern Code of Canon Law (our version of the Catechism) states I must marry in my husband's church/rite....

--hide--

Even as someone that goes to an Eastern Catholic Church (St. Barbara in Dayton), I do value frequent confession along with reception of the Sacred Gifts. I see it as the way to provide the best spiritual home for Christ to indwell, and to be strengthened in doing the works I am called to.

That said, the best spirtual works, and the ones we will be judged on, will be the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy, six of which were given in the Gospel for Meatfare Sunday (Matt 25:31-46).

02/02/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Our Hail Mary (or, "Angelic Salutation") is:Rejoice O Virgin Theotokos!Mary ...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

Our Hail Mary (or, "Angelic Salutation") is:
Rejoice O Virgin Theotokos!
Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women, and Blessed is the Fruit of your womb.
For you have borne Christ
The Saviour and Deliverer of our souls.

--hide--

I was on the March for Life last week, and marched with the Byzantine catholics from Parma. That was one of the song we sang as we made our way to the Supreme Court, and the Ruthenian Plainchant is very lovely in English.

02/19/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics e...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics even exist?
--hide--

+

Hi John,

Shortly after converting to Catholicism 19 years ago, I was introduced to a wonderful Byzantine Cathoplic monastery a scenic 2 hour drive from my home. I love the Eastern rite. I guess God brings the Eastern rite to the attention of people as needed - I'm not sure - just very grateful God introduced me to it. I knew nothing about the Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordianry form until I "happened" upon an FSSP church about 6 or 7 years ago while looking for a church where I could go to confession prior to Mass. I also love the Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary form of worship. And I also love Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. After attending Eastern Orthodox liturgical services I've seen they are very similar to Eastern Catholic liturgical services.

02/19/2013 new
(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi John, Shortly after converting to Catholicism...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi John,

Shortly after converting to Catholicism 19 years ago, I was introduced to a wonderful Byzantine Cathoplic monastery a scenic 2 hour drive from my home. I love the Eastern rite. I guess God brings the Eastern rite to the attention of people as needed - I'm not sure - just very grateful God introduced me to it. I knew nothing about the Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordianry form until I "happened" upon an FSSP church about 6 or 7 years ago while looking for a church where I could go to confession prior to Mass. I also love the Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary form of worship. And I also love Eastern Orthodox Liturgy. After attending Eastern Orthodox liturgical services I've seen they are very similar to Eastern Catholic liturgical services.

--hide--

The Orthodox liturgy is the same as the Byzantine Catholic liturgy, as we both use the same liturgical texts. Although in practice many Byzantine Catholic parishes have borrowed some of the more lax liturgical customs of their Latin brethren. (Shortened liturgies, lax fasting.)
02/26/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics e...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Considering we are all one Church, why is it that Roman Catholics are so unaware that Eastern Catholics even exist?
--hide--

Many Roman Catholics don't live near an Eastern parish. For instance, the closest one to my house is over three hours away, which is pretty much the only reason I never switched rites.

In college at FUS, I frequently attended liturgy at one of the local Byzantine parishes. There was one in Weirton and another in Mingo Junction which I frequented, and I fell completely in love with the Eastern style of worship. We can learn so much from Eastern theology, and it saddens me how few Roman rite practitioners have access to Byzantine liturgies.

02/26/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: The Orthodox liturgy is the same as the Byzantine Catholic liturgy, as we both use the same litur...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

The Orthodox liturgy is the same as the Byzantine Catholic liturgy, as we both use the same liturgical texts. Although in practice many Byzantine Catholic parishes have borrowed some of the more lax liturgical customs of their Latin brethren. (Shortened liturgies, lax fasting.)
--hide--
john, I was just wondering, how do you know which eastern Churches are in communion with Rome??? If i'm not mistaken the Greek Orthodox are not??? Is there a list of eastern rite Churches someone could get??? I tried googling it and it brings up every eastern rite church and doesn't tell you who is in communion with Rome and who isn't. Just wondering cause I might want to check one out. I have never been to one before.

02/26/2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: john, I was just wondering, how do you know which eastern Churches are in communion with Rome??? If i'm no...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

john, I was just wondering, how do you know which eastern Churches are in communion with Rome??? If i'm not mistaken the Greek Orthodox are not??? Is there a list of eastern rite Churches someone could get??? I tried googling it and it brings up every eastern rite church and doesn't tell you who is in communion with Rome and who isn't. Just wondering cause I might want to check one out. I have never been to one before.

--hide--

If the sign on the Church says Orthodox they are not in communion with Rome. Those that say Byzantine Catholic, Romanian Catholic, Ukrainian Catholic, Maronite Catholic, etc. are in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

Here's a list of Eastern Catholic parishes nationwide.

www.byzcath.org
02/27/2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: john, I was just wondering, how do you know which eastern Churches are in communion with Rome???...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

--hide--

+

Hi Thomas,

Here's a link to a list of Eastern Orthodox Churches (those NOT in communion with Rome). Sadly you see a list of divisions within Orthodoxy - wish we Christians could learn to stick togetehr better!

en.wikipedia.org

02/27/2013 new
(Quote) Jan-672216 said: + Hi Thomas, Here's a link to a list of Easter...
(Quote) Jan-672216 said:

+

Hi Thomas,

Here's a link to a list of Eastern Orthodox Churches (those NOT in communion with Rome). Sadly you see a list of divisions within Orthodoxy - wish we Christians could learn to stick togetehr better!

en.wikipedia.org

--hide--

Orthodoxy's inability to solve its canonical disputes internally is a good reason for it needing the papacy, but the Roman Catholic hierarchs could learn from Orthodoxy's primacy of spirituality and faith over canon law.

I've heard complaints from priests about how many of their bishops are managers rather than pastors.
02/27/2013 new

"Who are Eastern Catholics?" PART 1 with Fr. Maximos of Holy Resurrection Monastery www.youtube.com

"Who are Eastern Catholics?" PART 2 with Fr. Maximos of Holy Resurrection Monastery www.youtube.com

Eastern Catholic Theology PART 1 with Fr. Abbot Nicholas of Holy Resurrection Monastery www.youtube.com

Eastern Catholic Theology PART 2 with Fr. Abbot Nicholas of Holy Resurrection Monastery www.youtube.com

Posts 31 - 40 of 41