Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

is anyone involved in domestic mission trips? i am a devoted community service person in my locale, but am searching for opportunties outside my area for short mission trips. right now we are collecting teddy bears to send to our local charities in lieu of sending them to sandy hook elementary school (they have 10,000 bears) and will post a letter to the school with our list of distributions.

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Kate-577820 said: is anyone involved in domestic mission trips? i am a devoted community service person in my locale...
(Quote) Kate-577820 said:

is anyone involved in domestic mission trips? i am a devoted community service person in my locale, but am searching for opportunties outside my area for short mission trips. right now we are collecting teddy bears to send to our local charities in lieu of sending them to sandy hook elementary school (they have 10,000 bears) and will post a letter to the school with our list of distributions.

--hide--

Kate:

The areas devastated by Hurricane Sandy still need a lot of help. These people are either without houses, or living in their
half-destroyed houses without heat. Many are afraid to leave their homes because of looting.

There are three areas around here that I know are very bad: The shore of New Jersey; Breezy Point and the Rockaways in
New York; and then there is part of Staten Island in New York. I know Connecticut has a lot of damage, but I am not sure
what is going on there.

People make trips to the area and help them rebuild and also bring supplies, especially cleaning supplies. I heard a woman
from the news say that when she went there to help out, the people doing the work were very unfriendly. Then I heard
other stories where Firemen from other areas go there and help people get rid of the garbage and debris to their houses.

I have been trying to make a trip to Breezy Point, to the Church there, to bring clothes and supplies. I heard of some
people from near me that go, and I am trying to get more information.

Hurricane Sandy did a very lot of destruction. We just don't hear any more about it. Those people are really uprooted.

Posts 1 - 2 of 2