Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: ...marriage licences are simply a legal registration stating that a couple is recognized as being marri...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said: ...marriage licences are simply a legal registration stating that a couple is recognized as being married by the state.
--hide--

Thanks. biggrin

Certainly this is necessary, finally not all couples marry in a church.

We have a "register office" for the marriage as well.

Until 2009(?) it was necessary for catholic couples to do this step first. Since then it was changed.

Now it is possible to only marry in front of the church, BUT this then IS only a marriage in the eyes of God and NOT in the eyes of the State (considering taxes or inheriting). Such a marriage is often a way for older women who don't want to lose their widow's pension.

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I l...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

This topic of mine is one I have introduced at the Men's Group and at church functions. I like to hear the opinions of others of getting a marriage license or just getting a common law marriage like the old days. I know some states do not recognize common law marriages. I am not looking for your response in the difficulty of a marriage not having a license or what the license actually does in terms of the states rights in your marriage. Thus, how do you feel a license is important to your (future) marriage or how will not having a license adds validity to your marriage of lifelong commitment for good or for worse, richer or for poorer?

God bless.

--hide--

Why make a fuss over this? The state requires a marriage license before a couple can be married by anyone authorized to conduct/witness a marriage ceremony. Authorized persons include: most clergy, most judges/justices, and other civic officials.

When a couple files an application permit, the state determines that they are eligible to marry. If eligibility requirements are met, the couple is issued a license. These are the typical eligibility requirements:

- that the couple to be wed consists of one man and one woman (in most states),

- that they are of legal age, and

- that neither is still/already married.

This ensures that the marriage is not a sham and that innocent parties are protected. It also prevents bigamy and fraud. So why get your silly knickers in a knot over the license?? It has nothing to do with theology. Even if your state allows same-sex "marriage", being issued a license does not sully your own marriage or soul.

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I find it odd how the Church has tied its spiritual authority to the physical authority of temporal govern...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I find it odd how the Church has tied its spiritual authority to the physical authority of temporal governments. Hasn't the legitimacy of marriage predated Judaism and Christianity?
--hide--

That is NOT THE POINT of the marriage license!!!!

Members of the clergy (including Catholic priests) are authorized to conduct a marriage ceremony for couples who have duly obtained a license. See my post above explaining the state's JUSTIFIABLE reasons for requiring a marriage license.

These include:

- preventing various types of fraud (including social security fraud, welfare fraud, fraud on creditors, and so on),

- preventing illegal, underage, invalid, or bigamous marriages,

- protecting innocent victims.

What is so awfully wrong about this? It is a legitimate state interest and one which does not impinge on any religious freedoms or usurp the Church's rights.

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) William-848056 said: Go spend some time speaking with a divorve attorney on the low-down of a marriage license. Brin...
(Quote) William-848056 said:

Go spend some time speaking with a divorve attorney on the low-down of a marriage license. Bring a paper bag with you too so you do not ruin your jacket. An inheritance tax is not a tax, it means the state owns your parents goods and you have to "buy" out the state to get some of it into your possession. If you are bewildered at my standpoint, then you are most likely suffering from the symptons of psychosis. Go look word up too. For God Alone.

--hide--

Huh???? This is nonsense!!

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Another term for common law marriage is fornication, which is a grave sin.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Another term for common law marriage is fornication, which is a grave sin.

--hide--

Not necessarily. I can imagine some instances where a priest or other clergy man has conducted/blessed a marriage even though the couple never had a license and formal marriage ceremony. This sort of thing was more common many decades earlier but may still occur in very remote areas.

01/07/2013 new

All authority comes from God.God has always entrusted temporal authority to Kings and various types of Governments throughout history.The Church has also recognized that legitimate civil authorities have power from God to make and enforce laws.They should be in accordance with Gods laws however.The Catholic Church has never had a problem with obeying civil laws that do not conflict with Gods laws.A marriage license is one of them.In fact ,you may not petition the Catholic Church for a declaration of nullity case to be heard, until you have a civil divorce decree.Therefore,there is no problem with a civil marriage license in the eyes of the Catholic Church.David made some very cogent and valid legal points as to why the State insists on a license.

Posts 21 - 26 of 26