Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?? It doesn't feel like it. A woman in love and loved feels and looks the most beautiful!

--hide--

Well said Rachel! biggrin

Cat

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?...

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?? It doesn't feel like it.

--hide--
Rachel, You are a child of God and you are beautiful. If you do not believe that of yourself, then you are not yet ready for true marriage. It does take time to heal from a relationship in which boundaries have been broken.

Dec 29th 2012 new
(Quote) Dan-656122 said: How about a brainy beauty? I say brains, because beauty is where it starts, but if the brains are not there, th...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

How about a brainy beauty? I say brains, because beauty is where it starts, but if the brains are not there, then beauty won't even help.

--hide--

Amen Dan! thumbsup Beauty is first then comes brains. There's no attraction when physical attraction doesn't exist. Looks will always be the first impression.
Dec 29th 2012 new

Beauty. The inner kind.

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Margo-404841 said: Rachel, You are a child of God and you are beautiful. If you do not believe that of yourself, the...
(Quote) Margo-404841 said:

Rachel, You are a child of God and you are beautiful. If you do not believe that of yourself, then you are not yet ready for true marriage. It does take time to heal from a relationship in which boundaries have been broken.

--hide--

I am just a regular person -- not ugly, not beautiful, not young, not old, not terrible, not excellent (well, except for baking, maybe, and a few other things wink) -- but very ready to be beautiful and loved and married!

Dec 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: Arturo, standards were different back then. There were no braces for crooked teeth, breast ...
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

Arturo, standards were different back then. There were no braces for crooked teeth, breast implants, hair coloring and make up, fancy grooming tools and shaving kits. There also wasn't media on TV, billboards, magazines, internet that constantly shoved what "beauty" should be in their faces. Although I'm sure physical attraction and what the idea of beauty should be was important in some way, I don't believe the emphasis was what is is today.

Can you imagine if our profile pictures was not a picture at all? What if it was a list of our best and worst character traits and only after a certain number of messaging to another member would our pictures be revealed? Interesting...

Cat

--hide--

BINGO! It follows then that the perceived "need" for instant initial physical attraction is, to at least some extent, the result of cultural conditioning, not some inherent human trait. Like most other cultural influences, the effect has not been positive. Which is why we need to lead by example and return to an emphasis on core values rather than going along with the crowd.

Dec 29th 2012 new
[quote]Cat-163322 said:

Arturo, standards were different back then. There were no braces for crooked teeth, breast implants, hair coloring and make up, fancy grooming tools and shaving kits. There also wasn't media on TV, billboards, magazines, internet that constantly shoved what "beauty" should be in their faces. Although I'm sure physical attraction and what the idea of beauty should be was important in some way, I don't believe the emphasis was what is is today.

Can you imagine if our profile pictures was not a picture at all? What if it was a list of our best and worst character traits and only after a certain number of messaging to anoter member would our pictures be revealed? Interesting...

Cat

[/quote) If we invoke the theory of natural selection, then profile photos might not matter to a great deal of individual s. However, I've noticed quite a number of CM users including me, posts beutifull photos that they've shared to their fellow members to see--and that adds to their attractiveness somehow.
Dec 29th 2012 new

I think that each couple finds something that is physically attractive about the person they're with, and that's what initially gets them talking to one another. However, it's the conversation that *really* lets them know if they're meant for each other. Do they have the same views, morals, values, etc.?

When you mention "brains," what kind do you mean? smile I'm very serious here. I've met people that are book smart, and can answer questions about facts, but don't really know how to act around people. There's also the opposite. Also,a person doesn't necessarily have to be college-educated to make up an intellectually stimulating conversation with others.

As for beauty, it is truly in the eye of the beholder! A person can be "drop-dead gorgeous," but so conceited that no one cares to be in his/her company. A person's beauty may also be more than just physical features, such as in the way they "carry" themselves, in the way they treat others, and so on.

So, I'd say it's really a combination - as some of the other ladies here have already mentioned - of brains, beauty, but most importantly, heart. If a person's heart is pure, they are easy to love. Think of it this way: my grandma used to ask my youngest aunt "Do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?" My aunt, who was a toddler at the time knew the answer: "I'm beautiful because you love me." hug

God bless you,

Bernadette~

Dec 29th 2012 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?? It doesn...

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 'no one be holding me,' can I be beautiful?? It doesn't feel like it. A woman in love and loved feels and looks the most beautiful!

--hide--

True in Evey respect of the word. But in the absence of such a phenomenon, like for instance in a major beauty contest, judges often make biased scorng to women who say world peace. Looks like they're looking for more intellectual substance. Looks like we cannot cover a book by its judge.
Dec 29th 2012 new

--hide--

A self-fulfilling prophecy combined with a false sense of beauty: she believes this, so it (or the converse) becomes so. Being in love is neither being loved or loving. In most cases it waxes and wanes (or worse). What is the result of building even a portion of our self-esteem on such shifting sands?

True beauty comes from living the life God has planned for us: in general and specifically. In many cases the reason we don't have what we want right now is because God knows we're not ready for it and has other plans for us today. The longer we resist doing things His way, the longer it will take to get to the point we're ready to be given what we desire.

Posts 31 - 40 of 118