Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 2nd 2013 new
So very well stated Patrick :)
Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Fair enough... but that wasn't the question! To avoid any misunderstanding, I&...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Fair enough... but that wasn't the question!

To avoid any misunderstanding, I've only seen your profile photo, so I have never seen your style of dress and I'm not questioning it. What I am questioning is the implication that our own sense of style or modesty is the primary reference point, as your statements suggest? Or whether there is some objective frame of reference which our personal standards should be evaluated against?

Specifically, if the Blessed Virgin tells us, "Certain fashions will be introduced which will offend Our Divine Lord very much. Those who serve God ought not to follow these fashions. The Church has no fashions. Our Lord is always the same. " should this not bear some weight in what is accepted as modest fashion?

--hide--

laughing I wasn't offended... I'm also glad you haven't clicked on my profile since you laugh that I say that would be CREEPY! laughing

Yes, I know the Blessed Virgin's quote, and I know I dress in such a way that is modest and cute. That's what I want and what I believe is not sinful. Obviously, there are many styles that are not chaste, and I don't wear them.

I need an aspirin. wink

Jan 2nd 2013 new

First jerry if the photos are "immodest" they are not ABLE to be posted so clearly they are NO immodest photos by the terms of the site on the site. So people who think they are must have more Puritan ideas of modesty than the site owners.

Second Tara, being different is the harder road to tread, and good for you, you look fine and modest to me. Any fool can follow the herd, it takes guts and strength of character to stand apart as Christ Himself and many Saints showed. As to style I still have clothes my Mother (RIP) bought me in 1980!

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: If there is an objective standard of mod...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

If there is an objective standard of modesty in dress (whatever it may be), does it matter what your style, or mine, or anyone else's are if they don't meet that standard?

Jerry, you're making me work hard for my money.... Oh wait, I don't get paid. lol

I like my style. I don't conform to society's style. That would be WAY easier, but I don't. And, like I said, I don't like the style of the Amish, but I respect them obviously.

I know I'm modest, but people may not like my style... and that's okay. I'm content with myself, and my mama says I'm cute.

--hide--

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: First jerry if the photos are "immodest" they are not ABLE to be posted so clearly th...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

First jerry if the photos are "immodest" they are not ABLE to be posted so clearly they are NO immodest photos by the terms of the site on the site. So people who think they are must have more Puritan ideas of modesty than the site owners.

Second Tara, being different is the harder road to tread, and good for you, you look fine and modest to me. Any fool can follow the herd, it takes guts and strength of character to stand apart as Christ Himself and many Saints showed. As to style I still have clothes my Mother (RIP) bought me in 1980!

--hide--

What photos? I'm not discussing specific photos, nor have I made reference to any specific photos.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

Tara Coco Channel gave the ultimate advice in Vogue magizine in 1960 (no I wasnt even born then, so I dont read Vogue rolling eyes ) Show everything BUT reveal nothing

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I wasn't offended... I'm also glad you haven't clicked on my pr...

I wasn't offended... I'm also glad you haven't clicked on my profile since you laugh that I say that would be CREEPY!

Yes, I know the Blessed Virgin's quote, and I know I dress in such a way that is modest and cute. That's what I want and what I believe is not sinful. Obviously, there are many styles that are not chaste, and I don't wear them.

I need an aspirin.

--hide--

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I wasn't offended... I'm also glad you haven't clicked on my profile since you laugh t...

I wasn't offended... I'm also glad you haven't clicked on my profile since you laugh that I say that would be CREEPY!

I need an aspirin.

--hide--

Well, it certainly wouldn't do to have you get creeped out in the middle of a discussion!

So what you seem to be saying is that each individual's assessment of what is or isn't modest is the relevant standard, even when there is an objective standard (the premise of my original question)? Do you feel this way about any moral determination? If not, why is modesty different?

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Tara Coco Channel gave the ultimate advice in Vogue magizine in 1960 (no I wasnt even born then...

Tara Coco Channel gave the ultimate advice in Vogue magizine in 1960 (no I wasnt even born then, so I dont read Vogue ) Show everything BUT reveal nothing

--hide--

laughing Was Jerry around in 1960? Does he read Vogue?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What photos? I'm not discussing specific photos, nor have I made reference to any spe...

What photos? I'm not discussing specific photos, nor have I made reference to any specific photos.

--hide--

wink I know... You don't touch my profile with a ten foot pole. laughing You know better. lol

Jan 2nd 2013 new

As usual Jerry you read me literally. I was speaking figuratively, that means no specific examples being used. I was refering to the original statement made in the first post of this thread, not any photo that may or may not exist or have been mentioned or refered to, I hope this salves your injured or misquoted, misdirected or slandered wisdom. hug

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What photos? I'm not discussing specific photos, nor have I made reference to any spe...

--hide--

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Tara Coco Channel gave the ultimate advice in Vogue magizine in 1960 (no I wasnt even born then...

Tara Coco Channel gave the ultimate advice in Vogue magizine in 1960 (no I wasnt even born then, so I dont read Vogue ) Show everything BUT reveal nothing.

--hide--

And why would we accept Coco Channel's opinion to be of any relevance? But as long as you are quoting secular fashion designers, how about this one from Mary Quant, who is commonly considered the inventor of the miniskirt and hotpants: “I love vulgarity. Good taste is death, vulgarity is life."

Posts 121 - 130 of 196