Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Not sure if that's what she was implying, but there is something wrong with the way they dres...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

Not sure if that's what she was implying, but there is something wrong with the way they dress. Modesty is a virtue, to be sure, undervalued and underpracticed by many who hold our Faith. However, I do not believe in sacrificing beauty for modesty. I think they can live in harmony with no room for frumpishness. If one's body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and is also made in the image and likeness of God, then hadn't we dress it in a respectful and reverent way? Not to hide it from all, but to dress in a way that brings glory to God and is attractive and tasteful? I see myself as the crown of God's creation, and I strive to get that across in my daily dress and carraige.

I think we've got an obligation to dress well.

--hide--

On what objective standards do you base these opinions?

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: For those who may wish to learn more about modest fashion, why it is important, and get some sense...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

For those who may wish to learn more about modest fashion, why it is important, and get some sense of where the line is drawn, here are some resources that may help:

fatima.ageofmary.com

www.americaneedsfatima.org

speramus.posterous.com

www.ewtn.com (paragraphs 19,21)

--hide--

Here are a few more:

Vatican Decrees on Modesty in Dress:
www.national-coalition.org

Standards of Modesty in Dress:
www.catholicmodesty.com

Notification Concerning Men's Dress Worn by Women:
www.catholicmodesty.com

Those Who Serve God Should Not Follow the Fashions:
www.catholicmodesty.com

The Corruption of Morals Through Immodest fashion:
www.michaeljournal.org

Finding Your Worth, Avoiding Sin -- Dressing With Dignity:
www.catholicchapterhouse.com

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Notification Concerning Men's Dress Worn by Women:www.catholicmodesty.com.

www.catholicmodesty.com

--hide--

I'll stop wearing pants when the Pope forbids priests from wearing long vestments and cassocks, when Scots abandon their kilts, and when men in the Middle East stop wearing their own flowing dress-like garments. rolling eyes

I believe in modesty and strive to always dress in a modest way, but honestly, I draw the line at the credibility of the "women can't wear pants" argument made in this day and age and increasingly globally-aware world. If that's what someone chooses for themselves, okay, but I don't buy it as a universally applicable objective standard that must be accepted by all. Just my two cents. Universally applicable objective standards that are forever frozen in time are hard to come by.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-144650 said: Livia...then I assume you drink quite often, or am I mistaken? the phras...
(Quote) Brian-144650 said:

Livia...then I assume you drink quite often, or am I mistaken?

the phrase showing a tiny bit of skin, should, alarm you. Why not show more of your soul/personality off, leave the skin for marriage?

Any, yes women DO go to bars to meet men, plain and simple. Hence why there are a bunch of guys at bars and they have ladies nights, to get ladies there to attract more men. and how are you to tell who are the 'catholic' women at the bar and who are not? do you wear a sign, catholic woman here, hands off guys?

--hide--

Brian, after rethinking your rantings and the picture you used for your profile, I've come to the conclusion that if one of my daughters or nieces brought home a copy of this thread with your less than appropriate picture and holier than thou rantings, my advice to them would be to leave the Catholic Taliban for some other poor soul to suffer through life with and search for a man who may have some of the same view points of propriety that you have, but more humility and people skills.

You might want to rethink your approach to wife hunting and consider using more honey and less vinegar.

- Elizabeth

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Don't worry -- I won't be giving you another piece of paper to hang on the wall r...

Don't worry -- I won't be giving you another piece of paper to hang on the wall regardless of how you answer. I know that would creep out some of the CM guys who might otherwise consider dating you.

--hide--

Jerry as moderator you may wish to moderate the above quote. It's offensive to Tara and has implications which strike me as not in the spirit of the thread.

I know we disagree on a lot and so you may, again, want to bar me from the site because I have pulled you up on a comment. Ce La Vie

As to Mary Quant and Coco Channel I NEVER said or implied you compared them. But now you have raised the subject, you did. Be replying with a quote directly opposing mine you DID compare them.

What I was trying to say was Coco Channel was implying that to reveal to the imagination is far more intriquing than wearing a hankerchief as a dress. Its the biological wiring God installed when He gave us live, so male and female would go forth and multiple. The power of the imagination. I also refer you to Masters and Johnson (1972) and their study of human sexuality.

Which actually supports modesty over flashy revealling of too much flesh.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Here are a few more: Vatican Decrees on Modesty in Dress:http://www.national-c...

Here are a few more:

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.michaeljournal.org

--hide--

Jerry these are Guidelines NOT commandments. Each must choose their own shirt and wear it. We all answer to Him when He recalls us Home

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: (Quote) Brian-144650 said: Livia...then I assume you...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Quote:
Brian-144650 said:

Livia...then I assume you drink quite often, or am I mistaken?

the phrase showing a tiny bit of skin, should, alarm you. Why not show more of your soul/personality off, leave the skin for marriage?

Any, yes women DO go to bars to meet men, plain and simple. Hence why there are a bunch of guys at bars and they have ladies nights, to get ladies there to attract more men. and how are you to tell who are the 'catholic' women at the bar and who are not? do you wear a sign, catholic woman here, hands off guys?

Brian, after rethinking your rantings and the picture you used for your profile, I've come to the conclusion that if one of my daughters or nieces brought home a copy of this thread with your less than appropriate picture and holier than thou rantings, my advice to them would be to leave the Catholic Taliban for some other poor soul to suffer through life with and search for a man who may have some of the same view points of propriety that you have, but more humility and people skills.

You might want to rethink your approach to wife hunting and consider using more honey and less vinegar.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Well said Elizabeth. Assumptions (Assume) make an Ass (thats the animal) out of U and Me. And I believe Christ commanded Judge not less thee be judged. Of case we down here in the deep Antipodes may have got it wrong.

And I agree with you the last time we went all Fundimentalist on people the Church started the Crusades and murdered millions merely because they wanted to be different.

Jan 2nd 2013 new

That is a good point!!

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: For those who may wish to learn more about modest...

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

For those who may wish to learn more about modest fashion, why it is important, and get some sense of where the line is drawn, here are some resources that may help:

fatima.ageofmary.com

www.americaneedsfatima.org

speramus.posterous.com

www.ewtn.com (paragraphs 19,21)

Here are a few more:

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.catholicmodesty.com

www.michaeljournal.org

--hide--

Something just occured to me going through the above was the words Puritan, Oliver Cromwell, Persecution and discrimination, Prohibition and Al Caponne

Jan 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What do you mean by "allowed"? If you mean no one will intervene: as lon...

What do you mean by "allowed"?

If you mean no one will intervene: as long as there is some cloth, in most places pretty much anything is acceptable.

If you mean there are no moral implications: I think many people will be very surprised once it is too late to do anything about it.

--hide--
They have a choice of what to wear according to norms. I am in no position to impose on women what I think is appropriate or inappropriate (provided it is within norms), nor am I in a position to judge them based on what I perceive as their level of modesty. There are women who can pull off showing some skin tastefully, and I personally like that. The latter shows me that the woman is confident and comfortable under her own skin. To each his own.

While I agree that any person has a moral obligation to maintain decency as to how they present themselves, there is also a big moral obligation on the beholder to see things just as it is, devoid of malice or impure thoughts. Case in point: 2 men can look at a nude painting, one can appreciate the beauty of the painting while the other can entertain impure thoughts about it. Is it the painting's fault that one of the beholders had impure thoughts? As I said in my earlier post, if a woman's manner of dressing offends one's sensibility, that person better not be looking.

It all boils down to perception. I am all for decency. I am not in for imposing on women my own idea of modesty nor the manner they should dress.

Posts 141 - 150 of 196