Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Only in America

12/30/2012 new
TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations

10) Only in America...could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America...could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black, while only 12% of the population is black.

8) Only in America...could they have the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America...can terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and the media reacts by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America...would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America...could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America...could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America...could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up, yet the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America...could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it collects each year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America...could the rich people, who pay 86% of all income taxes, be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all!!
12/30/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations 10) Only in America...could ...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations

10) Only in America...could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America...could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black, while only 12% of the population is black.

8) Only in America...could they have the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America...can terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and the media reacts by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America...would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America...could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America...could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America...could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up, yet the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America...could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it collects each year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America...could the rich people, who pay 86% of all income taxes, be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all!!
--hide--

Nike makes thier shoes in China and last no longer than the pair of tennies you buy at Dollar General for $10.00, charge $50.00 or more for them, and they don't gouge the public?

Oh, that's right. They only prey on the stupid that believe the branding. (Not disagreeing, but just noting the practice)

I'll pay the hundreds for good pairs of shoes like Johnson & Murphy (Brazilian) or S.A.S (San Antonio Shoes - Made in San Antonio, TX! www.sasshoes.com ) and/or Redwings (some of which are still made in the U.S. at last report en.wikipedia.org ).

12/30/2012 new

Let me see you 10 things in America (which are common to most socialist republics) and raise you 19 things that only happen in China.

And wait until you read the part about wealthy people hiring stand ins to show up at trial and do the prison time for them!

www.businessinsider.com

The craziest part is that last one isn't even a new practice. Doubles hired to do the time for another's crime, and even take the sword for the wealthy person was noted by Western travellers in China as early as 1834!

www.businessinsider.com

01/01/2013 new

I believe that during the American civil war, wealthy Americans could hire someone to take their place in the army.

From my source: www.thecivilwaromnibus.com

"When the draft laws – known as the Enrollment Act – were first placed on the books in the United States in 1863, they allowed for two methods for avoiding the draft – substitution or commutation. A man who found his name called in the draft lotteries that chose men for mandatory service could either pay a commutation fee of $300, which exempted him from service during this draft lottery, but not necessarily for future draft lotteries, or he could provide a substitute, which would exempt him from service throughout the duration of the war."

"With the Enrollment Act, the Civil War truly began to be known as a rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight throughout the entire nation. The $300 commutation fee was an enormous sum of money for most city laborers or rural farmers, and the cost of hiring a substitute was even higher, often reaching $1000 or more."

Ed

01/01/2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations 10) Only in America...could ...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations

10) Only in America...could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America...could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black, while only 12% of the population is black.

8) Only in America...could they have the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America...can terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and the media reacts by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America...would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America...could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America...could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America...could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up, yet the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America...could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it collects each year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America...could the rich people, who pay 86% of all income taxes, be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all!!
--hide--


Thanks for the list, Edward. I'm hoping that Only in America, those paying for government will eventually kick the bums out that are running it into the ground.


- Elizabeth

01/02/2013 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Thanks for the list, Edward. I'm hoping that Only in America, those paying for gov...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:




Thanks for the list, Edward. I'm hoping that Only in America, those paying for government will eventually kick the bums out that are running it into the ground.




- Elizabeth

--hide--


Perhaps after four more years of now-unfettered boundless spending and reckless policy, the majority will hopefully wake up. But I'm not holding my breathe.
01/02/2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations 10) Only in America...could p...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: TOP-10 "Only In America " Observations

10) Only in America...could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America...could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black, while only 12% of the population is black.

8) Only in America...could they have the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America...can terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and the media reacts by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America...would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America...could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America...could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America...could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up, yet the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America...could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it collects each year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America...could the rich people, who pay 86% of all income taxes, be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all!!
--hide--


11. Only in America could the president who signed off on the law that created the fiscal cliff be blaming his party opposites for it a year later.




Posts 1 - 7 of 7