Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

If the purpose of a Catholic marriage, as a unique union between man and woman, is for the propagation of the human family and the upbringing of children, where does that leave those of us past childbearing years? Is marriage encouraged or are we called to serve in a different way?

Dec 30th 2012 new

Hi, Kathy.

I've asked this question in Marriage Preparation (a while ago). I was told to look at the example of Abraham and Sarah, who was beyond child-bearing years.

Of course, that was a miracle...

Dec 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Chris-930705 said: Hi, Kathy. I've asked this question in Marriage Preparation (a while ago)...
(Quote) Chris-930705 said:

Hi, Kathy.

I've asked this question in Marriage Preparation (a while ago). I was told to look at the example of Abraham and Sarah, who was beyond child-bearing years.

Of course, that was a miracle...

--hide--

It was a miracle and not one I pray for as I currently have teenagers. So is it our mission then, only to help our spouse get to heaven? Is that enough for a blessed marriage? The vows state "to willingly accept children" and I would, be it his, mine, or our grandchildren, but I don't see any "ours" in my future.

Dec 30th 2012 new

Sorry, Chris, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forums. You'll find some great people here. We're happy you joined us and I thank you for your response.

Dec 30th 2012 new
Kathy,

That's a wonderful question. I would like to know what the church says about it. Next time I have my bible study class, I'll bring it up. Thank you.
Dec 31st 2012 new

This question has been asked several times before in the Forums and it always amazes me that anyone would even need to ask it. Does not our church encourage a marital relationship? Does it not also require a covenant between men and women who fall in love and want to be ' joined together'? We are asked to be open to children but nowhere is there a guarantee that children will be borne from a marriage no matter the ages of the married couple. Do people think that we are just to give up thoughts of being part of a couple just because there is a physical impossibility to bear children in the marriage?

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: If the purpose of a Catholic marriage, as a unique union between man and woman, is for the propag...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

If the purpose of a Catholic marriage, as a unique union between man and woman, is for the propagation of the human family and the upbringing of children, where does that leave those of us past childbearing years? Is marriage encouraged or are we called to serve in a different way?

--hide--

To the best of my knowledge, infertility has never been an impediment to marriage as long as the couple is open to offspring should God desire. At one time it was the opinion of many moral theologians that voluntary sterilization was an impediment to marriage unless it was successfully reversed; I don't know if this is still the case. This applied only to sterilization that was performed to prevent conception, not procedures performed for medical indications that resulted in sterility.

Impotence (the inability to have intercourse) is an impediment to marriage because of the potential impact on the person's spouse.

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: This question has been asked several times before in the Forums and it always amazes me that anyon...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

This question has been asked several times before in the Forums and it always amazes me that anyone would even need to ask it. Does not our church encourage a marital relationship? Does it not also require a covenant between men and women who fall in love and want to be ' joined together'? We are asked to be open to children but nowhere is there a guarantee that children will be borne from a marriage no matter the ages of the married couple. Do people think that we are just to give up thoughts of being part of a couple just because there is a physical impossibility to bear children in the marriage?

--hide--

I've been here almost two years, Donna and hadn't seen it asked before. With so much recent campaigning against homosexual marriage, this was the point that was brought up again and again. It also comes up as the main reason for older men seeking younger wives, so it made me wonder about where a second marriage or older couple fits in the equation. Thus, I felt the NEED to ask, because I don't know everything the church teaches in regards to this.

Is wanting to be a couple a desire of our heart or a calling from God? Does it matter? Are we put in these positions, while still fairly young, so we can be ministers in other areas? Is the energy we spend looking for a match better utilized doing service within the church? I feel so enlightened by many people here because as a whole, these are the ones involved in works of charity and prayerful servitude. This isn't about elective sterilization. This is about an aging population not wanting to be alone for the last 50 years of our lives. Just curious.

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Kathy, That's a wonderful question. I would like to know what the church says about it. Next...
(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Kathy,

That's a wonderful question. I would like to know what the church says about it. Next time I have my bible study class, I'll bring it up. Thank you.
--hide--

Thank you, Lucia. I'll be anxious to hear what they say.

Dec 31st 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: (Quote) Donna-83441 said: This question has been asked several times befor...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Quote:
Donna-83441 said:

I've been here almost two years, Donna and hadn't seen it asked before. With so much recent campaigning against homosexual marriage, this was the point that was brought up again and again. It also comes up as the main reason for older men seeking younger wives, so it made me wonder about where a second marriage or older couple fits in the equation. Thus, I felt the NEED to ask, because I don't know everything the church teaches in regards to this.

Is wanting to be a couple a desire of our heart or a calling from God? Does it matter? Are we put in these positions, while still fairly young, so we can be ministers in other areas? Is the energy we spend looking for a match better utilized doing service within the church? I feel so enlightened by many people here because as a whole, these are the ones involved in works of charity and prayerful servitude. This isn't about elective sterilization. This is about an aging population not wanting to be alone for the last 50 years of our lives. Just curious.

--hide--

Okay.. Does this mean that a young man or woman who may have had a medical history and knows they cannot have a child should remove themselves from possibility of marriage? Where is the line drawn? Over 50 and anyone who knows they are sterile? What about the people among those who 'can't' get married because they are sterile, but feel no particular calling to be a 'minister' of the Church? And how does one determine whether it's a calling from God? Is he going to tell us? How will he tell us? A voice in the middle of the night waking us up from a dead sleep?

Do you think there is a Church teaching somewhere that tells us we are to live our 'after procreative' years alone?.. If there was, Jerry would have no problem telling us where to find it in the Catechism..I guarantee you that.. laughing

Posts 1 - 10 of 58