Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 3rd 2013 new

No, I wouldn't. I used to be Protestant. There are many wonderful, Christ loving Protestants; but, at the end of the day, the differences are such that I would not consider entering a relationship with one. For example, it doesn't matter how much their litury or whatever looks likes ours, it isn't the same. They don't have the Eucharist. As a Protestant, I had communion with crackers, various breads, grape juice; and, at one Lutheran church, white wine. The Eucharist to them is just a 'symbol' and nothing more. Even in the Protestant sects that offer communion weekly, the comunion is not the focal point of the service--it's the sermon.

I will be the first to admit that I miss some of the externals of Protestantism. For me, it's the preachin'. For others, the music. For others, the pastor's bedside manner (so to speak). However, as nice as those things are, it's the Catholic Church that has the fullness of the faith via the sacraments, Holy Tradition, Apostolic succession, etc.

Finally, I will add that all flavors of Protestantism have undercurrents of anti-Catholicism. In some places, it is right there in the open; in other places, it is more subtle. Some don't believe Catholics are Christian. Evangelical churches pour millions of dollars into mission activity in the Philippines and Latin America for a reason.

For someone whose Catholicism is important to them, I think it would be an incredibly hard road to hoe.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: No, I wouldn't. I used to be Protestant. There are many wonderful, Christ loving Protestants;...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

No, I wouldn't. I used to be Protestant. There are many wonderful, Christ loving Protestants; but, at the end of the day, the differences are such that I would not consider entering a relationship with one. For example, it doesn't matter how much their litury or whatever looks likes ours, it isn't the same. They don't have the Eucharist. As a Protestant, I had communion with crackers, various breads, grape juice; and, at one Lutheran church, white wine. The Eucharist to them is just a 'symbol' and nothing more. Even in the Protestant sects that offer communion weekly, the comunion is not the focal point of the service--it's the sermon.

I will be the first to admit that I miss some of the externals of Protestantism. For me, it's the preachin'. For others, the music. For others, the pastor's bedside manner (so to speak). However, as nice as those things are, it's the Catholic Church that has the fullness of the faith via the sacraments, Holy Tradition, Apostolic succession, etc.

Finally, I will add that all flavors of Protestantism have undercurrents of anti-Catholicism. In some places, it is right there in the open; in other places, it is more subtle. Some don't believe Catholics are Christian. Evangelical churches pour millions of dollars into mission activity in the Philippines and Latin America for a reason.

For someone whose Catholicism is important to them, I think it would be an incredibly hard road to hoe.

--hide--

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: I have dated more Protestants than I have Catholics. It does not have to be a problem unless you...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

I have dated more Protestants than I have Catholics. It does not have to be a problem unless you make it a problem. It all comes down to one thing and that is respect as you respect each others right to believe as they choose. I was married in the Catholic church with a mass and our sons were raised Catholic, but religion was never a problem. He even supported financially the Catholic church, but he never converted. We were together until we were parted by death. If I had waited for a Catholic man, I may never have married. I have no regrets.

--hide--

Well said, I totally agree with this. I'd rather marry someone who's straight up a good person than someone who just happens to be Catholic. Sharing in your faith life together means a lot more than just going to church together. I tend to find women of protestant backgrounds much less scrupulous but still stronger in their moral convictions than I do catholic women.

Jan 4th 2013 new

Steve -You are so right - my daughter in high school was told she wasn't a Christian because she is a Catholic! That's pretty scary. Another thing that is scary is how many men on this Catholic Match site are far from a Catholic. All you have to do is check their responses to their beliefs of the Catholic faith and see how many are on this site just for a good woman. So gals and guys be sure you are reading all of their responses. I want a wonderful Catholic man in my life who puts God first in his life. I teach the Catholic faith. I have a good Catholic girlfriend who yearns for her non-Catholic husband to join her in church one day after many years of marriage. He is a wonderful, wonderful man, but her heart still yearns for him to be next to her at mass. So sad, especially as you get "older". Furthermore, just because some say they are Catholic they are far from it in their hearts and practices. I know there are many great men out there who put God first in their lives who are not Catholics. He'd have to be a spectacular specimen for me to choose him (and I'm not talking about looks here - lol). I have been on this site for five years and have only came close one time to thinking I might have a great one. It's taking a long time, but I pray God is leading that special God loving, God fearing man to me. Oh by the way, Sacraments??????? Marriage is one of them. God's Grace Blessing your marriage through the Holy Spirit - His Life In Your Marriage. Oh if only I would have understood that much better 34 years ago! Picky - you bet - it's too painful to go through a divorce again, there are enough strikes against you in this world today as it is.

Jan 4th 2013 new

Paul - You are saying on a Catholic site that Catholic Women are not as moral as protestant women. I'd have to wonder how many truly Catholic women you've dated? I've raised three of the best. I wonder what other Catholic women on this site would answer to you?

Jan 4th 2013 new

Possibly not willing to any more. I tried it in my 20's. I came here because I did not want to have to argue about something as mundane as where to get married, who would marry us or if we worship Mary.
Who needs that?

I don't need/want those types of shenanigans in my world.

If I can't find a Catholic maybe I will branch, out ONLY THEN. But it is becoming less likely. OH WELL.

But I am not looking out there for trouble. I want a Catholic.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: No, I wouldn't. I used to be Protestant. There are many wonderful, Christ loving Protestants;...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

--hide--

Exactly. This is exactly why I would nto spend my energy trying to make something of that type work with someone who may be antiCatholic ect and have to answer to their community for dating me. wink

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: Yes, my thought is to find a devout Catholic man instead. Problem solved.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Yes, my thought is to find a devout Catholic man instead. Problem solved.

--hide--

I love your new picture Pat! My sister married and the man Converted on his own, prior to the wedding.

If such a condition existed inside the heart of a man I was dating I would be thrilled and I might be open,

otherwise, I am going for the more simple approach to this.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so?

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

--hide--

After experiencing the blessing of having a wonderful Catholic lady friend at my "home parish" before moving to Tampa last year, and meeting so many great ladies online here, I could probably date a Protestant (once, if I must.) I am a new Catholic, and must say that the friendships and bonds made with the Catholic ladies I have come across, even though none have been romantic relationships, have been deeper and more meaningful than any I've known before. I've found a certain quality to Catholic women that Protestant ladies don't have... not sure why this is, but I sense there is room for deep sharing and intimacy on a level that I never found with a Protestant all those years before I became Catholic (late 2011).

Michael

Jan 4th 2013 new

Steve and Barb make a good point about the anti-Catholicism in the denominations (the Catholic Faith is not a denomination, it's the Whole). Like I've already mentioned my mother converted from being United before she married dad, so she knew how anti-Catholic some Protestants are. When we were young my mother wouldn't let my older brother go to this parade in July that he wanted to go to. In fact she wouldn't even let him out of the house that day and wouldn't tell him why. Just a couple of years ago my brother finally realized why and told me the story. We don't have those July parades around here anymore like they still do in Northern Ireland. I think you can realize why my mother wouldn't let my brother out of the house that day.

Also just a couple of years ago a Seventh Day Adventist posted in another forum that I use to go to that they want to finish the Reformation. If you've ever read any of the history of the Reformation you'd recognize that as a direct threat against Catholics. At least I did.

Posts 51 - 60 of 80