Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

01/04/2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: I have dated more Protestants than I have Catholics. It does not have to be a problem unless you...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

I have dated more Protestants than I have Catholics. It does not have to be a problem unless you make it a problem. It all comes down to one thing and that is respect as you respect each others right to believe as they choose. I was married in the Catholic church with a mass and our sons were raised Catholic, but religion was never a problem. He even supported financially the Catholic church, but he never converted. We were together until we were parted by death. If I had waited for a Catholic man, I may never have married. I have no regrets.

Most recently I dated a retired Southern Baptist minister. One of his best friends is a Catholic priest. He never tried to convert me.

In an ideal world we would only date within our faith. I would love to date and fall in love with a Catholic man, but in all reality it may never happen. We have the choice to remain alone or open ourselves up to other possibilities.

--hide--

Sharon, I've got to disagree. For those of us wanting to raise children in the Church (the Catholic Church), dating a Protestant for marriage (and why else would one date?) is a non-starter. You have been fortunate to find a Southern Baptist who did not try to convert you. I'm fighting a battle with a much older half-sister, married to a Southern Baptist minister, over my conversion to Catholicism. Not easy going, trying to defend my new faith as a NEW Catholic!!

Blessings,

Michael

01/04/2013 new

Michael if you need help defending your Faith then John Salza has what I consider a pretty good Catholic Apologetic site.

www.scripturecatholic.com

01/04/2013 new

I'm willing to "date" a protestant with very low expectations of anything developing. The reason I'm open to it is because when I was a protestant I was looking for the Catholic church without knowing it.

With all the former catholics that are in the protestant ranks there might just be those kinds out there. Maybe there wondering if there is more to a church than just good music and a sermon.

And maybe when they meet a Catholic who loves Jesus and might dull their strong feelings. Its a lot easier to have negative feelings towards a group of people when you don't know anyone personally in that group.

But like I said low expectations...but you never know.

01/04/2013 new

Hi Christine,

I will only date Catholic men who are serious about continuous learning of their Catholic faith. A previous relationship with a Protestant did not go well at all, but it did lead me to start learning my Catholic faith--for that, I'm grateful.

01/04/2013 new

I wouldn't have to qualms about dating a protestant. It all depends on the person in general and how christian they really are. I have dated them before but would ideally want a Catholic person as it is such a personal aspect of our spiritual lives and would want them to be part of that with me.

I wouldn't rule them out. I have 5 BIL's and SIL's that converted to Catholicism and I would say they are true to their faith Praying

01/05/2013 new

Hi Michael. I guess I have been fortunate as I have had no bad experiences dating Protestants. At my age now there will be no more children.
(My husband had no problems raising our sons Catholic.) I respect your feelings and all others who date only Catholics.

01/05/2013 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: Hi Michael. I guess I have been fortunate as I have had no bad experiences dating Protestants. A...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

Hi Michael. I guess I have been fortunate as I have had no bad experiences dating Protestants. At my age now there will be no more children.
(My husband had no problems raising our sons Catholic.) I respect your feelings and all others who date only Catholics.

--hide--

Sharon, I certainly respect your feelings, as well. You are in a different position than many of us here. My mother is older than you, and married a friend of hers a number of years ago who she is greatly compatible with in many ways. They were able to come to a middle ground on matters of faith, and have been quite happy together.

Blessings to you,

Michael

01/05/2013 new
(This is not a reply to anyone in particular, so let no one take offense.)

I am a very firm believer that the family is the "Domestic Church". To actually receive Holy Communion (the Body and Blood of Christ) as "church" within the universal (that is, Catholic) Church is what I desire for my family.

Let no one say, well, that is all great, until the kids move off....then you will no longer receive Holy Communion together (in the same locality). For the Holy Communion which is validly celebrated on one Catholic altar is the same Christ, today and yesterday and forever, as that Eucharist celebrated on any other altar.

Let no one say, well, Paul, would you still love your children if they abandon the Holy Faith? The answer is: Of course! Just like I would still love them if they got in trouble, etc.
01/05/2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Meg-920823 said: My Mother is a convert and later, her mother conv...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Meg-920823 said:

My Mother is a convert and later, her mother converted, all because of mother dating my father. Mother joined before they were married and, to this day is very devout. That being said, there are several things I would consider:

What if the non-Catholic man I date decides to join the Church but it is for the wrong reasons? For instance, he could join because he wants the 'unity' in our new family or because he wants to please me and be what he thinks I want. I am sceptical of big changes I see in guys when they begin to date a woman or vice versa. On a conscious level, they may not realize there is a lack of authenticity. We can all tend to do that. The rose colored glasses are easy to wear especially among optimistic, lonely and 'in love' couples. There are also outgoing, friendly personalities who tend to 'mirror and match' in order to connect with others. Sales people are taught this skill.

I stated this in another post but, again, I love so many things in life and I have come to realize that what I love has much to do with my Catholic Faith. Dancing, working out, reading, friends, nature...it all is viewed through Catholic lenses. Therefore I want to share that core part of me that so impacts my passions and day to day decisions. My spouse should be the closest person in the world to me. I would forfeit joy without that total union; I could have had so much more in a marriage.

my ex and i were married 20 years. she was not baptised when we married. 7 years into the marriage she converted because she wanted to. by then we had 1 child (4 more followed). there was never any argument that the kids would be raised catholic. her parents were not happy about the conversion, but didn't put up any opposition. it simply dismayed them.

--hide--
My ex's conversion dismayed her family as well. It was all for nothing considering that she embraced the occult a few years later. My experience was just like David's.

01/05/2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: There is only one Christian faith with apostolic roots, the Cathol...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

There is only one Christian faith with apostolic roots, the Catholic Church. There are no others, nor are there any others that were founded by Christ.

--hide--

*cough* Eastern Orthodox *cough*

Posts 61 - 70 of 80